Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Name Your Gun(s)?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I hurt your feeling Chris...

At least you were able to come up with a name for the new "kid" in you shooting bag after the match.

You couldn't hurt my feelings if you tried. I was only kidding around.

I'm still working on a name. I like J.D., but it doesn't fit the personality of the gun.

Is it wrong to talk to them too?

I talk to Larry in the safe area before major matches. I wasn't going to admit it, but what the hell!! I tell him to be a good boy for me. Then I put him in his holster. Really though.......I am perfectly normal and harmless.

I call my Springfield .45 the Springer, very original don't you think.And I have a box of parts I turned into a 1911 years ago it is called the Mongrel ( essex frame thompson slide gold cup sear and disconector mmc sights and safety etc.) Both of these guns are special to me because they WORK!

Robin

I am with some here. Most the names I use in public, I can't really type here because well they don't advance anything.

Basically I use the terms shorty for my short open gun, big gun for the 5" open gun, Para for the para ordnance, etc. though you know maybe if I name them they will like me again. They have been pretty mad at me since I started trying to get back into it after 2 years off.

For same reason I named my kids different names,

To keep from getting them mixed up!

Shorty 1,

Shorty 2,

Shorty 3,

Spitfire,

the .40,

Big Caspian,

Little Caspian,

the P9,

the Huening P9, etc, etc.

Life was much more simple in the beginning, only had one pistol,

the "Goldcup"!

Around my home state I mostly shoot Standard division with a Bul M5 which I am very comfortable with so its called "The Wife" There are not many production shooters in my state but its more popular down south so when I go out of state for a weekend I take the XD9, so she's called "The Mistress"

I built a gun for a friend who is an irascible Viet Nam Vet and he said every one reckons he has attitude so we engraved that on his gun so that he can show them that he really does have "Attitude"

Bul Transmark built me a little carry gun and offered to put my name (Peter Dawson) on the slide. I thought that a little gauche so I asked them to engrave it "D-special" as I used to carry a Colt D-special when I was in the Police.

That has spawned a tradition where guns I own or build are named with a prefix D-.

A friend surnamed Hatzipanagiotis is in the habit of, when people stumble over his name, saying "Its pronouced Smiiith with three i s" So the S&W revolver we built has become "D-Smiiith".

A Wilson .22 conversion unit on an alloy Caspian frame is a "D-light" to shoot.

A gun built for a friend, surnamed Hood has become "D-hood" Pronounced Da Hood - where the homeboys come from. The same guy had a 6" slide gun built for Service Match (Aussie PPC) which he really "D-serve" d.

I recently built a 10 mm pistol for a guy who is licensed to carry one because his work takes him into close contact with Sharks, Pigs and Crocodiles. That is called "D-Bo" named after Bo Derek - the perfect 10.

Peter Dawson

Is it wrong to talk to them too?

I talk to Larry in the safe area before major matches. I wasn't going to admit it, but what the hell!! I tell him to be a good boy for me. Then I put him in his holster. Really though.......I am perfectly normal and harmless.

Right......... And this perfectly normal A????????

I do... Fun thing between the boys and me.

1) 625: Mi amigo Juan (named after an action figure from Francisco's early days)

2) 25-2: La Doncella (Yamil gave it that name: Tha damsel)

3) 642: Junior

4) 1911 Springer: Gladys (Nelson, Jr. called it that after watching Sin City)

5) CAV-15: The Filibuster (Google Filiberto Ojeda Rios)

Then my first P-14 got called "Hijueputa" :angry2: more times than I want to remember...