Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blowing the British Open

bountyhunter

Poor Sergio Garcia..... officially dubbed the "best player never to have won a major" came so close. BTW, that's the same title that plagued Phil Mickelson for so many years.

I thought Sergio had it. he needed that six foot putt on the last hole and he hit it perfectly..... but it looked like it took a tiny hop left on the way which was just enough to make it catch the edge and spin out. An 1/8" to the right, and he would have been the champion. Instead, he ended up tied in a playoff which he lost by a single stroke.

I feel sorry for the guy, I was really rooting for him.

The rub of the green....

Yeah, golf is not an easy game, at all... very demanding in the fine details, especially when reading putts. Hard to see on TV what he was seeing, but... sometimes you do everything right, and things still don't go your way... (funny, seems like a current USPSA Champion has been heard to utter something similar :D ).

I was following Sergio the last two days of the tournament. He just didn't make the putts necessary to win.

You can say what you want about swings and hitting great shots, but.....

Putting is what it is all about. Putting is how you get it in the hole, and that is the name of the game in golf, making a score.

Great win for Padraig

Oh yeah, it's also great to be home, if only for 9 days.

I felt bad for Sergio right up until the press conference. Bitching and moaning about this, that and the other. Complaining about not being able to make mistakes in order to win a major?????? Duh!

At first I did feel bad for him. His first three rounds were well put together.

A big win for Padraig though and I respect the way he came back out and played the playoff holes.

I will note, when watching the tournament, the thread "how do you deal with winning" was racing through my mind . . .

What happened to Sergio (and Padraig on the 18th in regulation for that matter) speaks to that thread very well IMO.

J

I'm not terribly fond of El Nino, though I wish nothing bad towards him. <shrug>

However -- golf television coverage. Please, just show golf. Please. And quit killing off players so early on Sunday. Christ, it's 30% ads, 30% other crap like commentaries, swing analysis, high-tech wire-frames of holes , 20% Tiger exclusively, and 20% golf.

I felt bad for Sergio right up until the press conference. Bitching and moaning about this, that and the other. Complaining about not being able to make mistakes in order to win a major?????? Duh!

At first I did feel bad for him. His first three rounds were well put together.

A big win for Padraig though and I respect the way he came back out and played the playoff holes.

I will note, when watching the tournament, the thread "how do you deal with winning" was racing through my mind . . .

What happened to Sergio (and Padraig on the 18th in regulation for that matter) speaks to that thread very well IMO.

J

Amen to that Jack. Sergio lost a lot of credibility in whining about a 7, not 15 minute delay by the grounds crew. How bad would that lie have been if they didn't rake the bunker that he ended up in.

On top of that Padraig played like a champion, even stating that if not for how he played on 18, he wouldn't have been able to play well in the playoff.

Golf is the single most frustrasting sport you can do if you care about the results. Mentally and physically challenging to say the least.

Rich

I feel no pity at all towards El Nino, but no ill will either. He blames everything else and refuses to acknowledge his own poor shot making. As an avid golfer an fan I can attest to how much having to wait even 7 minutes can really mess up your rhythm for the next shot. Remember though that this is the guy that spit into the cup on a green when he putted poorly in an earlier tournament. I had seen enough at that point...

On the other hand, I TRULY felt sorry for Padraig on 18. I did like his comment that he NEVER once thought he had lost the tourney even during that hole. That would be Bob Rotella's work coming out loud and clear there. I was really happy to see him just bury Sergio in the playoff once he got a small lead.

Was it just me or does Padraig sound just like the Lucky Charms cereal box guy. I kept waiting for him to say "..and there always after me lucky charms..."

I spent just over 12 years as a professional. It was the putter that sent me home for good. The old saying:

"Two things that don't last are dogs chasing cars and pros putting for pars."

If you cannot use the flat stick...you can't make it on the Tour...you might make some $$ but would be very lucky to win..but we have to remember, even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes...

I'm not terribly fond of El Nino, though I wish nothing bad towards him. <shrug>

However -- golf television coverage. Please, just show golf. Please. And quit killing off players so early on Sunday. Christ, it's 30% ads, 30% other crap like commentaries, swing analysis, high-tech wire-frames of holes , 20% Tiger exclusively, and 20% golf.

I know what you mean. national network golfcoverage is three hours of commercials occasionally interrupted by a guy swinging a golf club.

I hate it when Woods is in the lead because then they revert to their preferred coverage mode of only following him... golf swing, eight commercials.... golf swing, eight commercials.....

Edited by bountyhunter

I know what you mean. national network golfcoverage is three hours of commercials occasionally interrupted by a guy swinging a golf club.

I hate it when Woods is in the lead because then they revert to their preferred coverage mode of only following him... golf swing, eight commercials.... golf swing, eight commercials.....

Even when he's NOT in the lead, he gets an inordinate amount of camera time, IMO. And hell; I usually cheer for the guy.

What I *like* is, this year some co-workers and I have had a pool for each of the Majors. You 'draft' 4 players, with no one being able to pick the same player (nor Tiger), and the pot is split between the person picking players with the lowest combined stroke total and the highest combined purse.

It's most fun -- it's also amazingly difficult to have 4 out of 4 make the cut. It's also amusing to see who the talking heads pick as likely champions: "Our writers pick 10 players to win the British Open"....Someone, I think from SI, picked Davis Love III. Yeah, right.

Almost as bad a colleague who picked: Cabrera, Sterne, Sabatini, and Verplank.

Yours truly took BOTH pots with a stable of: VJ Singh, Harrington, Choi (amazing he was still on the board in the 3rd round), and a very disappointing Allenby.