Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P upgrades?

SMSI

The current M&P thread is so long, it is difficult to find specifics.

I am interested in the upgrades that folks are making - trigger jobs, sights, ect. I am primarily interested in work that will stay Production and IDPA legal.

Thanks.

You can change out the sights, guide rod/spring, and have a trigger job done by Dan Burwell. I'm actually still shooting mine pretty much stock, except a light trigger polish job. Check out the MP-forum for specifics.........

-Mike

I am interested in the upgrades that folks are making - trigger jobs, sights, ect. I am primarily interested in work that will stay Production and IDPA legal.

Thanks.

You need:

Trigger Work (Mine was done by Dan Burwell)

SSS (Speed Shooter Specialties) Fiber Optic Front Sight

SSS (Speed Shooter Specialties) SS guide Rod

ISMI Recoil Springs for Glock I use 15lb with Winchester White Box

Burwell or Warren Rear Sight (they are both great, but taste comes into play here) SSS (Speed Shooter Specialties) has them both

Tru Grip for Glock and make it fit the M&P, you can get them from Tape Boy himself Eric Wasselman

And of course, read my article about running the M&P in PD in the next USPSA Front Sight :D

PM me if you need any help

Edited by ysued

Thanks.

You need:

SSS (Speed Shooter Specialties) Fiber Optic Front Sight

SSS (Speed Shooter Specialties) SS guide Rod

ISMI Recoil Springs for Glock I use 15lb with Winchester White Box

Burwell or Warren Rear Sight (they are both great, but taste comes into play here) SSS (Speed Shooter Specialties) has them both

Tru Grip for Glock and make it fit the M&P, you can get them from Tape Boy himself Eric Wasselman

And of course, read my article about running the M&P in PD in the next USPSA Front Sight :D

PM me if you need any help

Yamil,

what is the texture of the Tru-grip like? Is it like skateboard tape or is it the "fuzzy" stuff. Just curious. I have been trying to get a good skateboard tape grip on my M&Ps. The frame is no prob. I am having problems with the grip insert, which is really where I need the texture. I still can't believe that the Burwell grips aren't legal for Production. Thanks.

Yamil,

what is the texture of the Tru-grip like? Is it like skateboard tape or is it the "fuzzy" stuff. Just curious. I have been trying to get a good skateboard tape grip on my M&Ps. The frame is no prob. I am having problems with the grip insert, which is really where I need the texture. I still can't believe that the Burwell grips aren't legal for Production. Thanks.

Eric's True Grip is Skateboard tape on a Flexible Rubbery backing that is easy to stretch, I'll take some pictures when I finish mine, I'm just shooting too much to take the time to put the tape on :D

Y

Not a whole lot they need. Mine have SSS 0.100" front sights with 10-8 rears, plain black both ways. Skateboard tape on the grips, and some trigger work. Dan Burwell's trigger job is very much worth the money.

As an aside, does anyone know how to remove the cap from the factory recoil spring assembly?

- Chris

Dan Burwell's trigger job is very much worth the money.

I edited my post to add that info too, Dan did my trigger work, excellent work I must add, sorry to have forgotten that!!

As an aside, does anyone know how to remove the cap from the factory recoil spring assembly?

- Chris

Depends, is it round (Pressed in and you can't get it out unless you break it) or octagonal (you can just unscrew it)

I love my dawson sight set with the Fo front.

Not a fan of the warren rears.

Lots of folks out there can do good trigger work on these; its really easy, and you dont have to buy any new parts.

I second this setup. I have it on three M&P's, including a 45. I did the trigger on all three and they are very nice, 4lbs and a very short reset. I could have gone lighter but wanted to stay way on the good side of 3 1/2 just in case the proposed trigger pull weight in Production happens.

I've done trigger jobs on 14 guns so far (I'm not a full time smith) and everyone loves the guns.

Depends, is it round (Pressed in and you can't get it out unless you break it) or octagonal (you can just unscrew it)
Round, and I've been trying to break it (the cap, anyway.) No luck so far, and I'm one of those people who can break a steel ball bearing given the proper motivation.

- Chris

I just received my two M&P40's today from Gary Mooney. I gave the pistols to Gary for trigger jobs and couldn't be happier with his work. If you're local to Florida you could meet with him to have your M&P worked on, or I think you could talk to Kenny at Speed Shooter Specialties and ship your gun to him.

If you're interested, feel free to pm me for Gary's contact info.

About 3.5 pound with very short reset. Not mooshy at all. Love it.

:D

NCShooter, you can lower that pull force below 3 pounds if you want to now. The Production trigger pull rule failed!! :cheers:

Thanks for the info. I may take it down to 3 but probably won't go below that. I run my STI and 1911's at 3 lbs also. I'm more concerned with reliablilty and the reset than I am the weight.

I just received my two M&P40's today from Gary Mooney. I gave the pistols to Gary for trigger jobs and couldn't be happier with his work. If you're local to Florida you could meet with him to have your M&P worked on, or I think you could talk to Kenny at Speed Shooter Specialties and ship your gun to him.

If you're interested, feel free to pm me for Gary's contact info.

About 3.5 pound with very short reset. Not mooshy at all. Love it.

:D

Gary is taking care of mine after the match I'm shooting this Sunday, since I'll be in Haines City, not too far down the road. Dropping in an FO on the front, as my white dots get gray quickly shooting cast lead, and the uber gritty factory trigger will be setup properly. I'm really looking forward to getting this done, as this is one seriously bad@$$ shooter.

• 4 months later...

OK, It's been a while so I'll ask this multi-point question. What parts are out now for the M&P and from who? Base pads, Mag well (if any), etc. I see Arrendondo has base pads and True Grip has tape. Dawson and Speed Shooters have sights. I would like to get an idea before the Pro comes out. Thanks.

OK, It's been a while so I'll ask this multi-point question. What parts are out now for the M&P and from who? Base pads, Mag well (if any), etc. I see Arrendondo has base pads and True Grip has tape. Dawson and Speed Shooters have sights. I would like to get an idea before the Pro comes out. Thanks.

I freely admit being a huge critic of the M&P when they first came out, as one of the guys I used to shoot with had one of the first ones, and it was apparently spawned in the bowels of hell. Constant problems...nightmarish. Eventually, S&W got it together, listened to shooters apparently, and got it right. It's a rockin' platform to run with on a budget, and a great way to get into Limited without selling off the kids.

Here's what I have toyed with in the last 7 months:

+5 Arredondo base pads, non captured steel or tungsten guide rods to let you tailor recoil springs to your loads, reduced power striker springs to help with custom trigger work, Dawson FO's, replacement grips that can be stippled/melted/cut to your desire cheaply, grip tape, if you like that sort of thing, widely available trigger jobs that run about the same in feel and reset as my 1911... I know I'm missing something, but these are all things I have tried out with mine. Oh, and the magwells should be ready soon, right Nemo?

I guess the only things I haven't seen yet are replacement barrels, slides, triggers, and frames.

I have never had the feeling that the pistol is holding me back...it's capabilities far outstrip my own, and I think one in .40 like mine can run with pistols costing 3X as much all day long if the shooter can drive it. Hope this helps a bit... I need more coffee here at work. ;)

I picked up a 9 for production, so my parts research is pretty much only for prod legal stuff.

Sights - You've got a lot of choices in fixed rears that are stock height and notch width. Seems like Dawson is the only company making alternative notch widths, and a corresponding narrower front sight (in addition to stock sized blades & notches). SSS also offers a blank partridge style front sight that can be shaved to your liking. Novak supposedly has some adjustable sights out, but I have yet to see them...

Grip - Stippling is now legal, so you can slap on a premade stippled backstrap or have your whole grip done (see rule book appendix for specifics). I think I'll order up some TruGrip in the near future, as I like all my mods to be un-doable :D

I'm running a SSS stainless guiderod with a 13lb ISMI spring... Working good so far (but I am a complete rookie when it comes to tuning) - shooting just WWB for now.

Holster - BT DOH Revo ($30) or Kydex (~$70) - pick your posion. The Revo is an injection molded holster - it is robust and pretty, but it doesn't quote hold the gun as firmly as a kydex holster tensioned properly (the gun can wiggle a bit in the holster). The holster grips the gun by the trigger guard, and any akward draw (i.e. pulling it out from your body) will result in you tugging up on the holster fairly/very hard. I shaved the holster down a bit to limit this effect, and it has helped. But in it's original form, a good (doesn't have to be perfect) draw feels just as good as a draw from Kydex IMHO. If I had the money, I would probably go for the Kydex.

Mag pouches - BT Revo/Millenium (the injection molded ones) series doubles get the nod from me.

Trigger job - I did my own, following the instructions Dan has so greatfully hosted for us. But, I don't really see how anything less than 4.5lb is possible just by following those. In stock trim, the trigger return spring accounts for about 2lbs of pull, the FPB plunger was about 1.25lb in mine. After re-radiusing the plunger, cutting 2-3 coils off the plunger spring, and breaking the corresponding edge on the trigger bar just a TINY bit, the FPB now accounts for ~.25lb of pull :D I swapped out the trigger return spring for a custom fitted hardware store spring, which results in only about 1 lb of trigger pull now. Contrary to logic, my reset is still nice and positive, even with the weaker spring. Overall, I'm breaking right at 4 lbs, of which ~2.75 is nothing but sear-striker engagement, so it is nice and crisp. I am going to try and see if a Glock factory trigger return spring fits - will report back later.

All that being said - I'd still love to check out a Burwell trigger - maybe after school is done...

I have yet to shoot this setup in competition - just getting it ready over the winter. So far, about 1k though the pipe and all has been flawless.