Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Promotional DVD

Sharyn

Sharyn, not to beat a dead horse, but you need to include the beginners as well as the GM's. Also, don't forget the wheel-gunners! I will wager that there are a lot of people with a .38 SP at home that htey would like to use for more than shooting cans twice a year. If you are in Tulse in Sept. there will be a good variety of wheel-gunners shooting and that will show folks that you can use anything you have almost.

Just my .02.

By the by, your vids are great and we missed you at the MS Classic this year.

Look, if folks are the type to not try something when they are intimidated then they ain't gonna try it. A C class USPSA shooter is on average 10x's better than any gun mag writer, reader, buyer, etc.er.

Like AikiDale said, folks are either going to see it and say "Damn, I'd like to try that" or "Damn, I could never do that". I don't think it's going to matter what level of shooter they see.

Any competitive sport is going to be somewhat intimidating to people who have never done it before.

Edited by SmittyFL

I've wanted to do a video with hat cams from both the shooter and RO's perspective of a simple stage from before "load and make ready" all the way to "range is clear", just so people know how it all works. That would be good to post on web sites for people wanting to know just what to expect.

We did a gunshow video a long time ago just with clips from local matches. In order to get people to stop and look, it pretty much has to be all non-stop shooting. Think 'very short attention span'. We also ran a slideshow on a laptop nearby of a bunch of photogenic ordinary shooters (well, that might be some sort of oxymoron, but you get the drift ;) )

And you can use footage of me, so long as it's good and/or the sponsor logos are legible :D :D :D :D

This was the route I was looking into. The grab and hook their attention... and "here's what I do (that's not sinister) on the weekends" types.

I'm proposing a "promotional video" which I thought of to mean "GRAB THEIR INTEREST" type. I really don't think an educational video about the particular divisions, rules of the game and scoring system is going to attract the shooters UNLESS THEY'RE ALREADY INTERESTED! I was really considering a video that has.... uh... pizazz (?) that will grab the passerby's attention.

However, it seems an introductory video would be an advantageous avenue to explore as well. AND I'M NOT DISCREDITING IT!

My opinion is SOOOO the same as AikiDale. I discovered USPSA by watching a video I happened upon of Julie Goloski (true story! ask her!) and said, "I WANT TO DO WHAT SHE'S DOING!" Then I searched down her email address and asked for her advice. Also, our sport IS intimidating!!! That's just a fact! I went to a USPSA match yeeeears ago (the same day I joined this forum). I was so incredibly intimidated that I didn't actually try shooting a match until years later (ask Steve Zopfi!!!)... and I ENTERED USPSA IN OPEN DIVISION!!!

Now, I'm not trying to discredit anyone in ANY way, shape or form... just to give a little perspective on my side of the story. I REALLY want to accomplish the project and am looking for everyone's input!!! I just think we may have two different "goals" here... which is GREAT!!! I just may need to produce two different types of DVDs!!! :D

Shannon and I have been discussing what type of video footage would be attractive to the general public... and why the current shows produced haven't gained the accolades of the "general public". We both agree that a complex field course, smoked by a GM, is not going to pique Average Joe's interest. It's just too complicated. Steel Challenge is easy... you see them shoot... hit the target... and the time on the clock. There ya go, it's that simple. I would REALLY like ideas on how to present our sport so that Average Joe can understand... however, I do believe that is the 2nd topic that's arisen here.

So far, I'm thinking of displaying D to GM class shooters (in that order) in each division, in their own seperate section, prefaced with someone displaying the typical gear of the division. Also including the Range Officers commands. And make this video loop. i.e.:

Production Division (title) with a still shot of someone wearing Production legal gear with maybe some wording describing differences between divisions (i.e. Magazine Pouches (with arrow pointing to mag pouches) that must be behind the shooters hip bone to be legal for production) EXAMPLE only!!! I'm not sure of the actual definitions yet!

Then, show a segment with HIGHLIGHTS of the stages shot by all classes of PRODUCTION shooters (to music, of course!)...

And showcase each division with each classification with each category of shooter. D Class Junior Production shooter, C Class Super Senior Production shooter, B Class "Joe" Production Shooter, A Class Female Production shooter, M Class "Joe in a kilt" Production shooter, GM Class Senior Production shooter... and so on.

Right now, I'm preparing a CD/DVD of a compilation of the montages I've already put together. It's seems as though there's an interest for more than that... an avenue I'll investigate.

I totally appreciate ALL the input so far!!! PLEASE CONTINUE!!! "WE" are in the brainstorming phase!!!!!!!!

Thank you all again!

More input, please!

Edited by Sharyn

I was so incredibly intimidated that I didn't actually try shooting a match until years later (ask Steve Zopfi!!!)... and I ENTERED USPSA IN OPEN DIVISION!!!

Ah yes...seems like yester....uh year! For years (I think thats an accurate statement) I encouraged Sharyn to take up IPSC shooting...but she insisted to keep shooting some other 4 letter shooting game...then one day...she ... uh....saw the light and hasn't looked back since it seems.

You could superimpose the shooters name, division and class at the beginning of the shooting so the watcher can get a visual of the different levels. Hopefully this will spark the watcher to ask questions about class and division.

Falling steel and moving stuff is good. Watching somebody shoot paper targets is pretty boring by comparison, and that's even before you try to explain the scoring..

Shooting paper, especially classifier stages, can be very boring to watch, but if you place a camera downrange facing the shooter, then overlay the individual strings of fire into one, it can be more interesting to watch. This video of "Triple Choice" shows the 3 strings of fire simultaneously.

3 strings of fire simultaneously

Larry

Falling steel and moving stuff is good. Watching somebody shoot paper targets is pretty boring by comparison, and that's even before you try to explain the scoring..

Shooting paper, especially classifier stages, can be very boring to watch, but if you place a camera downrange facing the shooter, then overlay the individual strings of fire into one, it can be more interesting to watch. This video of "Triple Choice" shows the 3 strings of fire simultaneously.

3 strings of fire simultaneously

Larry

That's really cool for shooters (I like it), but for people wandering by at the gun show.. it's "some guy, shooting at some target.. whatever.. I can do that at the range.." Some of the new shooters we get say "I've never shot at more than one target ever before.." Show them a rack of falling steel and they're all over it since they just can't do that by themselves at the ranges around here.

Look, if folks are the type to not try something when they are intimidated then they ain't gonna try it. A C class USPSA shooter is on average 10x's better than any gun mag writer, reader, buyer, etc.er.

Like AikiDale said, folks are either going to see it and say "Damn, I'd like to try that" or "Damn, I could never do that". I don't think it's going to matter what level of shooter they see.

Any competitive sport is going to be somewhat intimidating to people who have never done it before.

[drift] This is true. It's one of the reasons we only have 15000 or so members.

I've tried to get people to come to the range. I did get one gun-nut to come up to watch a match. I even offered him the use of my Production rig and gun. He was happy to watch, but wanted no part of shooting. He said it looked like it was fun, but it seemed to difficult. [/drift]

My problem with these type videos is they basically drive off newbie (to competition anyway) shooters by focusing on Open guns, and to a lesser extent, Limited guns.

Unless we figure non-USPSA shooters have a safe full of Open and raced-up Limited guns, then why validate the saying "you need a $3000 gun to shoot USPSA"?

The USPSA target audience owns Production guns, revolvers, and single stacks. Nearly all of our new shooters start in Production or L-10 (L-10 is more popular around here for the equipment freedom). Lots of them gravitate to Limited and Open, but they don't start there. The Open/Limited divisions are shooter magnets and don't need advertising.

Shooters should include men, women and kids. B and C class represent the majority of our members, so I'd suggest sticking with them for the most part. The shooters on your list represent a tiny fraction of our membership, and happen to be the tiny fraction who can be really intimidating. Will the thought of competing against professional/sponsored shooters(of course not all of them) really attract new members?

Of course at some point, preferably near the end, point out USPSA is indeed the big league top-fuel shooting sport, and a couple of GMs with Open/Limited guns would prove the point.

Most of the promotional material I've seen so far is targeted towards people like we have at this site. The problem is we are already members. The failure to market to our "actual" target audience is why we aren't really growing the sport.

My wife is shooting with me now, but we are definitely in the minority. Change that and our membership would grow quite a bit, but THAT could be accomplished by folks like the members here. I do know that having women and kids at matches will attract more women and kids. Of course that makes our sport a lot more attractive to everyone, including sponsors and prospective members. Again, the current membership is needed for that, along with some direction and marketing by USPSA.

Sales isn't my strong suit at all, so these are just thoughts.

I do know that USPSA should be treated as a business with a product/service to sell, with at least 1 paid marketing position on staff. However that's a drift on the true topic here. I also think Sharyn could put together a kickass video.

So far, I'm thinking of displaying D to GM class shooters (in that order) in each division, in their own seperate section, prefaced with someone displaying the typical gear of the division. Also including the Range Officers commands. And make this video loop.

Just a thought but maybe add in a stage diagram so that the audiance can see a "gameplan" for the stage(s) being shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

I've had a lot of discussions about this... and I have to decide what I really want to do and what goal I want to accomplish. Before I get working on the "official" SnS Productions product, I need to capture some more video (which I worked on this past weekend). It might be next season before I get a really nice variety. :D

For now, I think I'll just offer to compile the video montages of the matches I've already done. I'll have to mail Jeff's off to him to see what the postage will be (oops!). Then, I can get a good idea of my out of pocket cost and be able to offer them to whomever is interested.

Thanks again!

Now... I need to go finish the Area 1 montage... :D

Jack Suber (for son, John)

Thank you all so much for your assistance!

:D

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD PROFESSIONAL, CONSTRUCTIVE, MATURE AND ON TOPIC!!! I WILL KINDLY REQUEST THAT MODERATORS/ADMINISTRATORS PLEASE HELP ME TO DO SO. THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO BENEFIT EVERY ONE OF YOU INDIVIDUALLY AND COLLECTIVELY AS USPSA MEMBERS. THANK YOU!

Sharyn,

Feel free to use video of Knucklehead, I mean John.

For now, I think I'll just offer to compile the video montages of the matches I've already done. I'll have to mail Jeff's off to him to see what the postage will be (oops!). Then, I can get a good idea of my out of pocket cost and be able to offer them to whomever is interested.

Until then, I'll be camping out at my mailbox awaiting its arrival...can't wait!!! :)

Until then, I'll be camping out at my mailbox awaiting its arrival...can't wait!!! :)

I'm sorry! I have it done... just need to get to the post office. I went there before Area 1, to mail some bullets, and forgot to bring the daggum CD. :(

I'll try tomorrow!

:D

• 6 months later...

...I'm still collecting video for this endeavor... and hope to get something promising together next year.

If you would like to be included, and you're not a GM, sponsored, uber-fast Open shooter... let me know who you are and where you'll be. Keep in contact with me and I'll try to get some footage of you for the Promo DVD.

I should be at the following matches:

FL State

Area 6

Single Stack Nationals

Limited Nationals (probably)

Open Nationals

so far, that's all I can afford with the upcoming World Shoot.

Also, you can send me video footage you have of yourself and I'll consider it for inclusion.

* contact me via PM to send the highest quality video possible... please do not send footage of your friends or other shooters. I appreciate direct permission from the individual. *

Thanks!