Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good classifiers

Merlin Orr

When I say good I should perhaps say "lucky" or "on a hot streak.... I think I fooled around today and shot the classifier that will put my percentage at about 80%... 8 classifiers ago my percentage was around 61%. This totally sucks.

I have been just stumbling around in low middle B for a while now and all of a sudden - Wham.

I am NOT an A class shooter.

Ha Ha :lol:

One less SUPER B to be kickin my butt :goof:

Jim

I should have sympathy, as I was not ready for B when I was dumped in the pond the day before the mile high show down. :blink:

But...but ....Nahh :P

Jim :devil:

Edited by GentlemanJim

I understand where you're coming from.

I felt the same way when I got my B card.

The scores may say you're shooting at a certain level but maybe you just don't feel it.

FWIW I doubt if luck will get you to 80%.

It takes a little skill thrown in the mix.

For a long time A class seemed beyond my reach.

I shot a 79% classifier last winter and suddenly it seemed possible.

I started pushing harder on classifiers and began to trash them completely.

Haven't shot a decent classifier all year.

I decided I'm just not going to worry about classifer stages anymore.

I'm just going to focus on getting better and let the classification take care of itself.

When I really am an A class shooter, the scores will follow.

If you're not consistently winning the class you're in now how can you be ready for the next level?

Anyway congratulations Merlin.

I'm sure you're just not giving yourself enough credit.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Don't worry Merlin.

You'll get used to having your a$$ handed to you.

I know I did..... (Haven't learned to like it but I am used to it).

You may not have seen the worst of this yet.

Consider that at 80% you are half way to master.

A few more "lucky" classifiers and you will really have something to worry about. :surprise:

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Merlin,

I feel your pain. I am sittiing at low B. Yesterday I went to a club match and was having a horrible day. I just could not stop messing up the courses that were set up and shooting limited minor only made the mistakes more painful. Then I got up the the classiifer of the day, Fluffy's Revenge 1, and I creamed it. All A's not make up shots on the steel in 3.87 with a poor draw. I felt like a fool. Nothing comes together for me in many matches and the field courses kick my butt and then bam like clockwork I shoot awsome classifiers. Sometimes I think I shouldnt even be in B class because of my match performance but somehow USPSA thinks I am a B. Dang classifiers with their simple stage design get me every time. I hate shooting good classifiers but I refuse to purposly mess one up, its a darn Catch-22.

I don't think thats a bad thing. My goal for myself this year was to break into "B". I'm about 2 percentage points from it now. I'm sure I'll do it and it doesn't worry me in the least that I'll be shooting against better shooters. These are all just stepping stones to my ultimate goal of beating TGO in a shoot off at a big match for everyone to see. B)

I know , I know, but I can dream!

Congradulations!

Edited by dcarter

Now that is an awesome attitude to have. Self limiting thinking ROCKS!!! :D;)

Yea I know.... I learned this after I decided to fly and jumped off the hay barn..... ;)

Maybe the whole thing is the fault of changing my avatar to the Silver Surfer.... Thats when things really went crazy! :D

I don't think thats a bad thing. My goal for myself this year was to break into "B". I'm about 2 percentage points from it now. I'm sure I'll do it and it doesn't worry me in the least that I'll be shooting against better shooters. These are all just stepping stones to my ultimate goal of beating TGO in a shoot off at a big match for everyone to see. B)

I know , I know, but I can dream!

Congradulations!

Been there and tried to do that...man vs man...two bouts later I was headed for the truck ..... :blink:

It takes a while to finally realize that you do belong in with the big fish...then you reach a certain comfort level with your own abilities and you start to shoot as you really are able...

I will be the first to really say it...you are better than an A shooter...your M card is waiting on you...shot with you...know your abilities...just keep shooting and we'll both make M shooting SS...LOL

When I say good I should perhaps say "lucky" or "on a hot streak.... I think I fooled around today and shot the classifier that will put my percentage at about 80%... 8 classifiers ago my percentage was around 61%. This totally sucks.

I have been just stumbling around in low middle B for a while now and all of a sudden - Wham.

Amazing. I read this from Lanny Bassham shortly before your post:

We live in a culture where it has become common practice to self-deprecate after a task. When we do poorly we beat ourselves up and when we do well we utter some comment that shows all who hear us that we are not really that good after all. We tend to side- step any complements made to us. It's cool to do that. We wouldn't want to brag so we humbly denounce any high level of success and insist that the truth is somewhat lower thereby elevating us once again in the eyes of the one that complemented us. Of course, it doesn't help your Self Image to hear that but because it is what almost everyone else does it is acceptable.

:cheers:

Amazing. I read this from Lanny Bassham shortly before your post:

We live in a culture where it has become common practice to self-deprecate after a task. When we do poorly we beat ourselves up and when we do well we utter some comment that shows all who hear us that we are not really that good after all. We tend to side- step any complements made to us. It's cool to do that. We wouldn't want to brag so we humbly denounce any high level of success and insist that the truth is somewhat lower thereby elevating us once again in the eyes of the one that complemented us. Of course, it doesn't help your Self Image to hear that but because it is what almost everyone else does it is acceptable.

Everybody thinks you are a pompus ass if you do well and when asked about it you tell them, yes, I shot well today.....but I never thought it was bragging to do that...Now it is being an a** if someone asks you..."...what are you doing here old man"...and you reply, "...I drove 75 miles just to kick your a**".....of course, I speak from practical experience on that one, Merlin...

:cheers:

• 5 weeks later...