Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Match

cztn

I shoot my first match on Saturday. What a blast. :cheers: Only one match and I am hooked. I have not been that nervous in a long time but after a couple of stages the butterflies were gone. On the first two stages I forgot that my gun had a front sight but once I settled down it got better and my hits were better. I've had really had a hard time seeing my front sight lift but on one stage I was pleasantly surprised that I knew when I pulled the trigger that I had hit the no shoot and instantly made up the shot. I need to set some goals and begin working toward them instead of just going to the range and putting shots down range.

Roger Oliver

Welcome!

There is a vast amount of info here and nice folks to help you along.

Glad to hear you are hooked!

Caution...between the fun of shooting and the fun with the people on the forum and the ones you shoot with...you can get stretch marks on your face from smiling :D

Jim

Welcome! The first match is probably the hardest since so many things are new. Funny thing is that you'll probably still get nervous even after you've shot a lot of matches :D

+1 I still get really nervous before I shoot. It's not bad unless I have more than one string. When I have to stop shooting an reholster and then shoot again. I get so damn twitchy it's hard to keep the dot on the target.

Welcome to the addiction! To pass along some good advice I received:

1. Find the nearest shredder

2. Insert credit cards!

:cheers:

++++++1

Before you go spending your entire paycheck on gear take a close look at what you really need. Check out other shooters stuff (ask first :lol: ) before you buy. It is a nice feeling isn't it? To find something that you just know your going to do for a long time to come. Good luck, have fun and shoot straight.

Welcome...

yeah, "measure three times, cut once." Try a lot of different guns and don't get sold ANYTHING by a gun magazine. Some basic truths, that unfortunately are not self evident if you read gun magazines.

A Glock 29 with factory +p ammo IS NOT the ultimate production rig.

a .40 Berretta with an Optima WILL NOT win you the open nationals

a soft nylon $5 gun show holster (with mag pouch attached) IS NOT good enough

and if you are going to dive right in and spend $2000+ on limited gun, don't buy a 12 round Sig x-5, and for God's sake talk to an actual shooter, not just a gunstore commando.

Unless you are just a mall ninja, ANYTHING in .357 sig is a waste of metal.

Glocks and Kimbers are not the ONLY guns out there that run.

I don't care how cool it looks, a Desert Eagle in "Point Five-Oh" is not what you really NEED.

Anything you are thinking about buying for shooting that's listed on ebay, you should come here and ask about first.

There is one, ONE brand of reloader.

If you buy any caliber listed as "nine by xxx", a 10mm, a .357 Sig, and god forbid a .41ae or G.A.P. you have a "white elephant" and you're stuck with it for life. The good news is everyone else will help you find you brass.

Shop around, ask questions, test drive everything you can.

after a couple of stages the butterflies were gone

Only after a couple of stages? WOW!!! :surprise: You might just become a new mental guru for this site if you can tell the rest of us the relaxation techniques you use after calming yourself after only a couple of stages.

I still can't master that.......

Oh by the way, WELCOME!! This is a GREAT sport and there are a TON of GREAT people that shoot (as well on this website).

Thanks for all the responses.

SLM,

The funny thing is that I work for a document shredding company so I always have quick access to a shredder should I have an urge to spend a lot of money.

dcarter,

Right now I have all the gear I need. I have a CZ 75B, a comp-tac holster and a couple of Uncle Mike magazine holders. This should do me for a while.

TRP,

I was part of a great squad that made me feel right at home. I also decided that this is a game and that I am here to have fun and shot. At this point, I have no preconceived notion about how I should preform other than be safe.

Roger

+1 to not paying attention to gun rags. If you read and like them now, in about a year you're going to realize what trash they really are.

Actually, +1 to everything dirtypool40 posted.

Edited to add that the credit card shredding advice was a preemptive measure. By the time you are spending too much money, you will not be able to stop. At that point you will be "investing" your money in shooting gear and can't be covinced otherwise ;)

Edited by JFD

Shooting your first match is kind of like having sex for the first time. Occasionally your shots go off before your ready, <_< But it is even more fun once you calm down and concentrate on technique. Of course you can learn from watching others but somehow that just seems icky to talk about that right here. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! I too shoot my first match on Saturday, OMG! I have already contacted my HMO to enroll me in a treatment program. This is CRACK for shooters. I have to drive a ways to any match, but the first thing I did when I got home was find the next match......yeah I be getting stung out fast :devil:

I was lucky and hooked up a stand up guy on here. He let know the deal as far as stuff I would need. And I have had a press made by that ONE company for 20+ years. Think I'll be loading some rounds up......a lot of them. What fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot my first ever IDPA match this past Sunday and OMG what a blast!! I am totally hooked!! I was pretty nervous at first because I had no idea what to execpt, but I did get settled in pretty fast. I really took my time and didn't run very fast at all. I hope you guys can give me some feedback as I think I did pretty good for the first time ever.

Place | Division | Class | TOTAL | TOTAL | SCORED | PROC Pts | HNT Pts | FTN Pts | FTDR Pts

33 | SSP | UNCL | 112.67 | 91.17 | 21.5 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0

Stage 1 | down | Stage 2 | down | Stage 3 | down | Stage 4 | down | Stage 5 | down | Total Down

22.98 | 15 | 25.04 | 7 | 13.85 | 5 | 21.08 | 7 | 8.22 | 9 | 43

The only real difference between 29th place and 33rd was 2 seconds. I did make some mistakes like using my QCB holster with the trigger guard as I wasted some time there and with reloading ( I didn't have an extended slide lock level - Glock 19, however I do now :)

I can wait until I get back next month to see how much better I can do :)

Dave

Edited by sifu128

Welcome to the forum guys. This is THE place for practical shooting info. If at least someone on this forum does not know the answer to your question, it is probably un-knowable (is that even a word? :blink: ). Now that your are hooked, you will start looking at all other expenses, such as mortgage, car payment and groceries, as frivolous things that get in the way of the shooting. But do not despair; you can always come here and vent if needed. :cheers:

... I need to set some goals and begin working toward them instead of just going to the range and putting shots down range.

Roger Oliver

This attitude could be question 1 on an exam to determine who will fall hook line and sinker for this game.

after a couple of stages the butterflies were gone

Only after a couple of stages? WOW!!! :surprise: You might just become a new mental guru for this site if you can tell the rest of us the relaxation techniques you use after calming yourself after only a couple of stages.

:D

And, you read the sights and made up a shot - in your first match! Definitely new mental guru materail.

;)

+1

Finally just got around to reading that in Benos book not more then 15 minutes ago. It took me 2 years just to think about it, and you are accomplishing it in your first match. Keep going and stay aware and focused.

Wow,

Phil

Just finished my 1st match on Sun.

The good news: I didn't shoot myself or anyone else. :D

Better news: I LOVE IT!!

3rd Sunday of every month is too long to wait..

I didn't come in last and my best score was on the classifier. 15th out of 32.