Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how do you cope with rising reloading component costs?

We are all aware of the rising costs of reloading components. What is your strategy to try to offset increased costs of the components we use - brass, primers, powder, & bullets?

I have stockpiled about 8K of 1X fired brass over the past few months. I participated in a group buy on WSP primers for $93/5K +sales tax so I purchased 10k of primers. One of the guys I shoot with is looking into a group buy on powder & another on bullets. Titegroup powder can be purchased here for just under $100 + tax per 8 pound keg. (not a group buy)

I'm trying to buy what I can when I can in bulk quanities but it gets real tough to stretch a dollar these days. Usually when there is a deal you haven't the extra funds - when you have the funds there are no deals!

I purchased a case of 185gr Precision bullets in May for $152.00 shipped. I went to reorder tonight and found that Dave had to put a .20/pound surcharge on all of his products to stay profitable. Same case of bullets in July is $173.50 - about a 15% increase. The surchage appears on the checkout page. I don't fault Dave one bit - He's in businees not a charity. He told me that the market for lead is changing daily, extremely volatile commodity market along with copper & aluminum. By the way his orders are still running 3 to 4 weeks out.

I'm thinking of buying Oregon Trail laser cast bullets for practice rounds only and using the Precision or other bullets soley as "match grade ammo".

What are you folks doing to manage the rising cost of reloading?

The only "solution" I have....and it is a pretty crappy one at that....is to use a 9mm version of my gun to practice with. It's not the same feeling of course, but I figure I save about $25 per thousand.....

Not a fiscally reasonable solution for STI/SV shooters, I realize.

FY42385

Lead bullets at $40/k locally is the biggest money saver for me. A couple of big stores not too far away have WST powder on sale here and there for about $90 + tax. Guys at work go out to lunch every day, but I quit that to save more bullet money.

Lead bullets at $40/k locally is the biggest money saver for me. A couple of big stores not too far away have WST powder on sale here and there for about $90 + tax. Guys at work go out to lunch every day, but I quit that to save more bullet money.

I just bought an Anvantage Arms Conversion kit for my Glock. It arrived yesterday. Dry fire is supposed to be the best practice right? Well, I figure shooting .22 cal is somewhere in-between dry fire and the real thing so I plan on burning allot of .22 ammo. I noticed JP rifles has .22 conversions for AR's. I may look into that as well. I also found a local pawn shop that is willing to make special orders for very little profit. I bought 20k primers from him for $20 per k. He says he made $1 per k profit, but doesn't mind making $20 profit for making a phone call. Save up for a bulk order and start calling local pawns that sell loading supplies. Tell them what you want and what you want to pay and you may find someone willing to add your supplies to the shipment that they will be receiving anyway. It's getting tougher every day.

My approach has been to make more money, since it takes more money to compete than it used to. With the Open gun my bullet choices are pretty limited, it needs a LOT of powder too. Thankfully I didn't build a gun that uses really expensive brass and my gun runs well with a cheap powder.

The only change I made that I could see would help is I now order less frequently and in larger bulk, High enough to offset the Hazmat shipping charge, also allways keep your eyes open at gunshows you can often find new but old stock powder and primers for decent prices. Another suggestion is many bullet makers go to gunshows and post their schedules on their websights. Usually these companies will fill a large order for you and let you pick it up from the gunshow saving on shipping costs, The post office flat rate shipping box that some dealers use helps. Another suggestion especially for group buys, find a local bullet manufacturer or as local as you can, and have the group spend a month hitting every tire shop they can find and begging for lead, round all this up and use it for trade in on a bulk buy.

Kids have gotten older, they require more this and that, reloading components have gone up, we shoot less :wacko:

I called Montana Gold the other day and was told Lead just went up about 90% :angry2:

I too have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my Glock. I was just thinking the other day just how many rounds have I fired with it. Well my best guess is 10-13k. I shoot it every week recently and it gets fed Rem. Golden Bullets from Wally Worls. The bulk packs are just under 11 bucks/550 + tax. I have played with several different brands and luckly found the GB's the cheaper ammo and to be one of the best. My AA will go through a bulk pack without a burp. But now and then it has it's moments. If you have one, keep it dry, it dosen't like oil, and the more I shoot it, the better it gets. It took a few bricks to get broke in. 325 bucks (with 4 mags) and the AA is considered one of my best ever buys.

Most recently I have been shooting a well rounded reactive course where I can run/walk in diferent directions (mix it up too) hide behind real buildings etc. The reactive part is plates, pins, cans etc. along with human size target boards. This has proven to be the best shooting recreation I can find for the money. Generally speaking, I don't really have a desire to fire any .40's with my G23 as I am having too much fun with the .22lr

Other than that, I have been saving components over the years and continue to buy when I see a good sale. I am mostly way ahead in reserve componets so I can hold out for the sale to replenish.

Gas, well I can't do much about that one but I have decided that when it comes to shooting or feeding the kids....well, the kids are old enough to bum from the neighbors, I can be found at the range. Ohh, I also thought about getting one of them little scooter/moped bikes to save on gas. Can you see getting pulled over for going too slow and having to explain the 7 handguns and 4k rds. of ammo in the saddle bags??? Would I fit the profile? :surprise: