Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Premature Mag Droppage

Jman

I can't count. Just started to work on my limited shooting. This after a few years of Production and L10. Had I known that higher math was involved I would've stayed put. I had a Tuesday Night Steel stage "locked in" with my mega-mags capacity factored in. Yeah right. I reloaded TWICE :wacko: . A 20 round stage...started with 20+1 and, duh...

Jim

To become a better shooter, you have to work not only on the physical shooting part, but also on the mental part.

I know that when I went to limited, I shot faster, first, because of not reloading as much, but also becasue of being able to concentrate on my stage tactics instead of when I need to reload, which I guess is part of the stage tactics.

Redwoods

Jim,

We were squadded together in Montana. I don't believe you saw it, but I did this on two different stages with ten round magazines no less!!!

One of these days I'll get my head out of my fourth point of contact for an entire match!

Hey go from revolver to limited, you will do this a lot. :D

I went from revolver to limited 10 without much problem but going up to limited I have done this more times than I care to think about.

Been there, done that! It's really annoying when you've totally got the feel for a stage down and rehearsed and then you blow it with something like that...ugh. If your reloads are good, it may not be a match killer, but it still hurts.

Been there, done that! It's really annoying when you've totally got the feel for a stage down and rehearsed and then you blow it with something like that...ugh. If your reloads are good, it may not be a match killer, but it still hurts.

Which is exactly the way it went. I had no intention nor had I even visualized a mag change at that spot, but there I was wondering why I hit the mag release after four shots and I am trying to stuff in a mag while looking at my next array of targets. :blink:

Premature mag drops are a real hoot on a virginia count stage. I recently performed the same ...worked my way from hardest to easiest targets. When it came to the final target 5' away and a gimme for a pair of A's, I was out of ammo.... I had dropped my first magazine too early. The RO just looked at me smiled, and shook his head. I smiled back, cursed the target , and collected my remaining mag and walked off. Lesson learned. B)

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem but other way round

just went on a shooting trip to australia where they have 10 round mags only

so heres me with my open gun use to long mags 29 rounds

haveing to rember to chage mags on a 12 round stage

man it made stage planing a lot more inportant

after shooting it i beleave that shooting l10 or single stack ect makes you a better shooter as you have to plan your stages more and you pay more if you fire the one extra shot ect

Jim,

We were squadded together in Montana. I don't believe you saw it, but I did this on two different stages with ten round magazines no less!!!

One of these days I'll get my head out of my fourth point of contact for an entire match!

Airborne!

It takes a lot of thought to NOT reload. what's funnier is watching open shooters go to limited or production... they look at their gun so surprised that it's empty :-D

visualize your whole stage then relax, tension is one of the biggest things causes me to reload prematurely when shooting a full cap gun.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of dropping a mag and not thinking, at this years Lim/Prod Nats I had mental brainfart that cost me 14th place and dropped me to 19th.

On stage 8, I had changed my game plan a few minutes before to a better plan, but it entailed picking up a last static target after the swinger thru the port at the end. Well, I shot everything and it was going great, until.....I shot the swinger and dropped the mag to unload and show clear, b/c that was my previous game plan.

After dropping the mag, a second later (it seemed like an eternity) I remembered the extra target. I had already let the mag hit the ground and instead of grabbing the 4th or 5th mag off my belt and doing a standing reload, I simply shot the last round in the chamber (w/out a mag in the gun) on the remaining target and received 1 mike. At that second, I thought doing a 1.5-1.8 sec standing reload and getting the extra 2nd shot wasn't worth the time so I just used the round in the chamber and took 1 mike.

I don't know if that paid off or not, I figured it up and it doesn't look like it did. The time cost me an additional 2.5 seconds in time and the mike. All points tallied against Vogel (stage winner) HF and it cost me AT LEAST 24 points, more like 30 points total.

That's just one more thing to think about while you're going full speed. I live in a 10round state (L-10) so we "train" ourselves to change mags at every move and it becomes instinct. If I went to another state and shot limited or open, guaranteed I would do the same thing. I'd have to re-train myself "not" to do a mag change just like I had to train "to do" a mag change. Maybe that's one reason that's keeping me from out-of-state matches. <_<

DonT

visualize your whole stage then relax, tension is one of the biggest things causes me to reload prematurely when shooting a full cap gun.

Great advice, reloaded early, forgot to reload and reloaded too many times on my first three stages of this years Area 6 match.................Match pressure??? Methinks so!