Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide racker

Kingman

Ok, so I put the slide racker on the opposite side of my mount because I got tired of taking it on and off for cleaning. it really seems no slower to hit it on this side.

I am right haneded and liked using the racker as a prop, but taking it off got annoying.

My big question is how do you start with the gun on the table with the racker on this side.

Ok, so I put the slide racker on the opposite side of my mount because I got tired of taking it on and off for cleaning. it really seems no slower to hit it on this side.

I am right haneded and liked using the racker as a prop, but taking it off got annoying.

My big question is how do you start with the gun on the table with the racker on this side.

prop it on your mag release button :surprise:

I do not have the access right now to a machine shop to hook up the ball detent part of it. Eventually I will do the ball detent on it.

The gun is a commander slide gun so it is short.

With the racker you get that inch that makes it easy to just grab the gun off the table and go. Just wondering another way.

I just grab and go, but then I'm a lefty, so that works. Long ago before slide rackers, one of the tricks was to flip the gun by the scope, but I'm not sure even that will help much. A big *thumb rest [generic]* or something sticking out of the scope mount would work. At the World Shoot in Ecuador, one guy on my squad had a threaded hole in his mount he'd screw a 3" rod into before table start stages. I'm pretty sure that's not actually legal within the rules today, and maybe not even then, but a permanent rod (you'd probably want a shorter one ;) ) would be OK.

I used to run a racker on the right side, I had a death jam once, I had a failure to fire, racked the round out, and it somehow got trapped between the breach face and the barrel hood.

near as I can figure, when I racked the round out, my left hand covered the ejection port and the round bounced off my palm and back into the gun.

How about this for a twist? Learn to pick the gun up off the table properly.... :D Then you don't need a "prop" or "crutch", you don't need to lift it off the table via the scope, blah blah blah.... It takes one hand, one simple motion...

Check out the Burkett vol 1-3 DVDs - I think he discusses it there... The basics are - strong hand first finger on the front of the trigger guard, thumb on the back of the grip just below the beavertail, and "pinch" the finger and thumb together. It'll pop the gun right off the table into your hand. ;)

I use to have problems with gun on table starts until I put on the Dawson ICE magwell. It proped the gun up high enough so the mag button wouldn't get depressed when I grabbed the gun.

My new gun has a slide racker on the left side and a ball detent, whole lot easier to rack the slide and to clean.

barry

Thanks Flex, was that a direct jab, a broken ejector kicked my behind this weekend.

Still got the racker, its on the right. I can clear a jam pretty quick with it. haha. Got plenty of practice sunday.

The proper technique works, but it is a bit quicker with the gun sitting up high enough that when you grab the grip, presto it is where you want it to be.

I love slide rackers.

LimitedGunrear.jpg

On the Open Gun, the mount is the prop. On unloaded gun on the table starts, you can set the mag just below the ICE and "slap" the two together. It will be getting a racker, but because of the mount the racker will be on the right.

IMG_1124.jpg

Yep, a thought-through slide-racker will do a lot.

Mine is mounted on the right side, since I am lefty (and partially lame in the right hand. -Main reason for my racker.)

Mine was made on a lathe, and filed down to fit the rear-sight slot, fastened with a pinol screw. Top-down.

If I had been able to pick up/shoot weak hand too, I believe I would have had made a handle, that went out on the other side also.

Just in case there is a table where you start off weak-hand.

Combined with the magwell, there is plenty of air underneath the gun to slide the sausages under.

Of course, practicing how to lift the gun fast and safe is useful, but you can save that practice-time for shootin' instead! :lol:

image002.jpg

I've been trying what Taran Butler suggested, pick up the gun with the weak hand, and place it into your strong hand. That way, you always have a great grip, and don't have to worry about propping it up on your magwell, mag-release, scope, or slide racker....

I'm not sure it's any slower, and you won't risk a fumbled grip...