Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grilling on the 4th!

ima45dv8

The shrimp are skewered and marinating, the steak has a little EVOO and seasonings rubbed in, the veggies are all sliced, diced and chopped, and the beer is frosty cold!

Yum!

Texas Brisket, what else?! Cucumber salad is marinating, cake is filled and frosted, and I'll see your ice cold beer and raise you a pitcher full of margaritas! :cheers:

The shrimp are skewered and marinating, the steak has a little EVOO and seasonings rubbed in, the veggies are all sliced, diced and chopped, and the beer is frosty cold!

Yum!

Just got back from the feast.. I had grill duty..

15 lbs of burgers, 10 lbs of hot dogs.. :cheers:

and my wife lost the trout right at the edge of the boat this morning... that was going to be mine! :angry2:

Soaked some hickory chips in water and fired up the charcoal grill. When the coals were nice and hot put on a big potato and dropped a nice chunk of Salmon on the grill along with an ear of corn. Opened a bottle of nice Cabernet and enjoyed stinking up the neighborhood with something other than the smell of hamburgers that I usually cook. :cheers:

Soaked some hickory chips in water and fired up the charcoal grill. When the coals were nice and hot put on a big potato and dropped a nice chunk of Salmon on the grill along with an ear of corn. Opened a bottle of nice Cabernet and enjoyed stinking up the neighborhood with something other than the smell of hamburgers that I usually cook. :cheers:

Now I wish I had grilled Sword fish!

Salmon is awesome too, probably better there than here in Iowegia. :cheers:

FM

.....and I'll see your ice cold beer and raise you a pitcher full of margaritas! :cheers:

That's a strong card you played. Mongo like margaritas.

Heh. I also grilled last night, and made a small batch of margaritas for my wife, myself, and a friend who's husband is out of town.

It was with genuine respect, that I handled the bottles. A recent memory of my wife telling an in-law "Oh, Steve makes the best margaritas*," and an ensuing "Margarita Cook-Off" is still fresh in memory, and I remember, uh, someone proclaiming loudly that the, "best margarita is just...<pouring a couple generous ounces> a really good tequila on the rocks with a squeeze of lime....," after 3 or 4 entries.

<shudder>

Anyway. Margaritas, steaks ( 1 rib-eye, 1 tenderloin, 1 strip, because women are like that), potatos, and asparagus on the (charcoal) grill. Very nice, and gorgeous weather for NC; not a bit humid.

* I make no such claim, but here's my recipe, largely stolen from someone else, I'm sure.

The key is really good tequila -- this is where the bigots start blabbing about blue agave, etc, but basically any bottle that makes you say, "Wow - I just paid $40 for a bottle of tequila!". I'm partial to Conquistador, but whatever...

Start by rinsing the dust off the glasses, and putting in the freezer.

Juice a couple *real* lemon and limes...Like 3 of each. Add a heaping teaspoon of powdered sugar, stir, and put aside. (Granulated, or 'regular' sugar, won't dissolve nicely).

Dig through the drawers and find the 1/2 cup measuring scoop, and your cocktail shaker, or two large glass tumblers. Pour 1/2 cup of tequila into the shaker. Add 1/4 cup, or a bit more, of triple sec. Add a little less than a cup (see how handly the 1/2 cup measure is?) of the lemon/lime mixture. Fill shaker with ice, and shake. I mean shake the bejesus out of it. Margarita should be icy cold, and frothy. Salt the rims of the glasses you've pulled from the freezer, and strain and pour from the shaker.

This makes two margaritas, with enough citrus juice mix left for a second round....

Ate at my son's...he grilled...pork loin and grilled pineapple....German potato salad, a nice Pinot Noir and a big stoggie on the patio afterward as the grandkids swam...just great...Happy Birthday America...

Hot Dogs and Burgers. With Hot Dogs all you need to remember is Mustard, Onion and Pickles. With Burgers you can have a little more fun. Season with Worstershire Sauce and the pattys stuffed with Blue Ceese just before they go to the grill. A couple shots of Tequila to make the white guys want to dance and then Amber Bock for the boys and Miller Lite for the girls (Sorry girls). Then say something about the Flag and Fallen Comrades. Alful nice 4th.

Later, Steve