Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side saddle ammo holder

M ammo

I just received the 2006 Multi Gun Nationals, super squad Video.

It was very good!

I got to see what level of things I may have gotten myself into come OCT 07.

The one thing I noticed is that for Tactical and Limited.

None of the shooters on the video used a side saddle.

I know loading 4 at a time with the weak hand is fast (unless your weak hand is stupid like mine)

So for the rest of us, having the saddle right next to the load-em up whole, would be fast

Is their some Nationals rule against side saddles???

That I missed?

Jim M ammo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot make judgements on what most folks use by a video that only followed one squad and a few other selected shooters through the match.

All kinds of methods are used by many different folks and all work quite well when practced properly.

Thanks for the great feed back.

As it goes Shotgun wise I go for the saddle, the arm holder the chest holder, the 20 rounds on the belt.

And can put different shells as needed wherever they might be necessary.

Thanks again,, for helping me get my stuff together.

Jim M ammo

There are so many methods of reloading shotguns. I've been working on the Carlock Shuffle, so the side saddle was in the way and had to go. I also just don't like a lot of things on the gun. This method loads four at a time with the right hand, buttstock on the shoulder. I'm fair at the Carlock, but not where I want to be. If I ever master it I think it beats everything but speed loaders. If not mastered it has a high fumble factor.

I have a vest that will make you faster

:cheers:

There are so many methods of reloading shotguns. I've been working on the Carlock Shuffle, so the side saddle was in the way and had to go. I also just don't like a lot of things on the gun. This method loads four at a time with the right hand, buttstock on the shoulder. I'm fair at the Carlock, but not where I want to be. If I ever master it I think it beats everything but speed loaders. If not mastered it has a high fumble factor.

I guess I will never buy the story tha it is the fastest way, because you have to dismount the shotgun to on top of your shoulder, then load 4, then remount the shotgun into your shoulder.. It can be damn fast but I still think weak hand loading at the shoulder is faster only because you never have to dismount the shotgun or remount it. It stays in your shoulder the whole time! I will take the pepsi challenge anytime and anywhere on this one. KurtM

I have a vest that will make you faster

:cheers:

I have one. Took it to Ironman but didn't use it since it was new to me. I'll have to give it a workout.

I guess I will never buy the story tha it is the fastest way, because you have to dismount the shotgun to on top of your shoulder, then load 4, then remount the shotgun into your shoulder.. It can be damn fast but I still think weak hand loading at the shoulder is faster only because you never have to dismount the shotgun or remount it. It stays in your shoulder the whole time! I will take the pepsi challenge anytime and anywhere on this one. KurtM

You may be right, and probably are for average poags like me. But for someone who's really good at it, and doesn't fumble, I still think the Carlock is the fastest. But it takes a LOT of practice to get that good with it, and it could be argued that the advantage isn't enough to justify spending so much time mastering it. Time that could be better spent practicing other things, like hitting the damn target.

You may be right

Not May Be, Kurt IS right, weak hand loading is not as difficult to learn as people make out, the trouble is people try to go too fast with it before they have built up the muscle memory & fumble a lot, then they just give up on the idea saying "I cant do it" or "its fumble prone" the key for me was to slow it right down to begin with, I unscrewed the end off my magazine tube (Nordic Components) removed the spring & follower & just fed all the shells off my belt untill it was empty, this gives many slow repetitions & as you get better at it you will naturally just get faster, No magic powers required !

N

Neil.....ssssssssshhhhh on the weak hand, let them do it other ways! With my Benelli, weak hand is the way to go. With my Super X model 1 the best way is kind of like the Carlock method. I don't get the stock on top of the shoulder though. I twist the gun down and under the arm. Much more secure, and don't need a stinking glove to prevent burns. The Benelli is what gets used at matches though.

I unscrewed the end off my magazine tube (Nordic Components) removed the spring & follower & just fed all the shells off my belt untill it was empty

N

Now why the hell didn't I think of doing that instead of shoving 8 dummies in the thing...then unloading it...and then doing it all over again! :bow::cheers:

if you would invest the practice time, that you claim is needed for mastering the Carlock thingy, into practicing weakhand.......................................Oh,!!!!!!never mind just do the slower way, its better for me in the long run. :rolleyes:

Trapr

I am a convert from the Carlock to the weak hand. Reading a couple posts by Kelly or Kurt and seeing some video of someone (Kelly I think maybe?) convinced me to at least give it at try. It took quite a bit of practice but once I got used to it I really like it. It also got all the shotshell carriers over the the left side of my belt instead of being crowded around the handgun holster. And the fried forearm/hand issue just isn't an issue anymore.

Once my Benelli gets here ("about a week" I was told yesterday) I'll have to tweak out my technique as I am sure there are a few differences between the Benelli and the 1100. Thanks Neil for the tip on an easier way to practice! I am still slow but weak hand is faster than anything else I have tried.

Once my Benelli gets here ("about a week" I was told yesterday) I'll have to tweak out my technique as I am sure there are a few differences between the Benelli and the 1100.

Hey Kurt/Trapr your always welcome in "Brummi" land amigos !

Kimel

If you have an "easy loader" on your 1100 switching to the Benelli will make the weak handed method a lot easier, for me the easy loader just got in the way & knocked shells out of my hands as I tried to load. Some say the Benelli recoils harder but to be honest once the beep goes off I never even notice.

N

My only problem with week hand is "Small" hands (but that's all :D ) - makes it a little harder to load 4 at a time, but 3 is no problem. In time I hope to be able to do 4, fumble free.

5Shot

How many of you guys who are ragging on the Carlock shuffle have actually seen it done by THE master?

I have. And it is bad ass. :surprise:

I'd say from empty (load 8+1) or full tube (8), as executed by THE master/creator, it is faster than any of the other techniques.

But with short loads (1-6 rounds) I think it gives up some to weakhand loading. I also think you gotta be one strong, fit and beefy (and maybe tallish) dude to use the Carlock effectively. You need to toss around that shotgun like it was a toothpick. If you ain't one... don't use it. :ph34r:

Yes I have seen it in person and it is darn fast.....except I am still wondering HOW you think it is faster than weak hand. Lets break it down. Carlock 1) Dismount gun and place on top of shoulder ( needs both hands for the first part to guide to shoulder. 1)Weak hand, reach for shell on belt. 2) Carlock reach for 4 shells with strong hand on belt. 2) start putting in first 4 shells 3) Carlock finish putting in first 4 shells and reach to the belt again 3) weak hand start putting in shell from second grab of 4 from the belt. 4) Carlock, finish loading shells and REMOUNT the shotgun to the shoulder. 4) weakhand, trigger first shot as gun is ALREADY at shoulder.

Relig. I guess you havent seen Mr. Weak-hand do this here thing either, but I will give you a bit of an idea of how it can all go.... My best time to date to load 8 round YES EIGHT ROUNDS, from a PORT ARM start not aimed in on target! On 6" square plates at 12 yards. This is the drill at the beep shoot the first plate, then load 8 rounds and shoot the second plate ( 6" @ 12 yds. ) is 5.13 seconds. YES 5.13 SECONDS It was witnessed by a couple of British guys and a few americans, Mike .45 has a video of it, so I ain't just smokin here nor am I jokin w/ Benny/Kelly about a tenth or so. Now that is the very best..my average is in the middle to late 5 second range for this littlte drill, and I like to do it while moving. Now that is FASTER than many open shooters with speed loaders. HOW does one load faster when dismounting the gun from your shoulder when we both have to make two grabs for shell on the belt??? I though religious guys didn't smoke crack :lol:

I have met Shawn Carlock and he is a great guy! I like him and admire his skill greatly, He can probably whip my butt with a shotgun because I think he shoots a shotgun MUCH faster than I do, but loading is kind of my thang!

Anyone who hasn't seen Kurt stuff shells into his Benelli will never understand just how fast and slick at this he is. He earned the Mr. Weak Hand title for a reason! And remember folks, that's spelled with a Capital MISTER ;)

Bust out the videos. I want to see a port arms start... shoot ... load 8 ... and shoot in 5-6 secs.

If Bigbrowndog says he can do that in 5 flat he should be called Mr. Weakhand. With say a .75 1st shot and a .5 last load to 2nd shot and say each trip to get four is .75 secs...

5-.75-.75-.75-.5=2.25 secs

2.25 secs / 8 = .28 secs stuff rate.

Your stuffing shells close to the split times of some C shooters.

I'd like to see that.