Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger not wanting their guns shot in Comp

snubby

I own a Ruger GP100 3" and I have modified it for moons. I shot it in the IRC and came in second in Snubby. I want to put a longer barrel on the gun and I called Ruger to see what the cost is and how long it would take. The indicated to me that they would be glad to put a new barrel on the gun and bring the gun up to factory specs. (ie. remove my cut down cylinder and replace with a new factory one as well as remove the springs and replace with new factory ones).

Obviouosly Ruger does not want their guns used in Competition. Because I went through 3 different people and the answer never changed.

What should I do.

1. send them the gun and have the new barrel put on. then recut the cylinder for moons :angry2:

2. send them the gun less cylinder and have them put a new barrel on and cylinder as well. :rolleyes:

Paul

Use a gunsmith. It's not like the factory is going to put on a new barrel for free.

Really, how much is this going to cost? Including shipping to factory with the hassel or a gunsmith plus parts costs and such, wouldn't it just make more sense to buy a gun with the barrel length you want. The Ruger is not a big ticket item with plenty available on the secondary market.

I own a Ruger GP100 3" and I have modified it for moons. I shot it in the IRC and came in second in Snubby. I want to put a longer barrel on the gun and I called Ruger to see what the cost is and how long it would take. The indicated to me that they would be glad to put a new barrel on the gun and bring the gun up to factory specs. (ie. remove my cut down cylinder and replace with a new factory one as well as remove the springs and replace with new factory ones).

Obviouosly Ruger does not want their guns used in Competition. Because I went through 3 different people and the answer never changed.

What should I do.

1. send them the gun and have the new barrel put on. then recut the cylinder for moons :angry2:

2. send them the gun less cylinder and have them put a new barrel on and cylinder as well. :rolleyes:

Paul

Buy a good used Smith and Wesson

Use a gunsmith. It's not like the factory is going to put on a new barrel for free.

Really, how much is this going to cost? Including shipping to factory with the hassel or a gunsmith plus parts costs and such, wouldn't it just make more sense to buy a gun with the barrel length you want. The Ruger is not a big ticket item with plenty available on the secondary market.

It's not the money. I just have a problem in sending my gun to have a new barrel put on it and for the factory to change all the improvments I have done to it and put it back to factory specs. I am not buying a gun from them they are doing work to my gun. So to have any work done by Ruger they will take you back to Square one. That would be a large cost. I shoot the Ruger because it is a very rugged gun and won't come apart in my hand during a stage (ask ffl about that one).

What should I do.

Paul

+ 1 on the general idea.

I'm a Smith shooter myself and that brand does dominate the sport, but for the costs you're talking about I agree you should look for another gun to add to your collection.

If you stick with the GP100 you can swap the cylinders or cut the new one or whatever, and have twice as many guns; maybe even a backup to carry in your bag to those big, important matches. It seems like the right Smith might even share moon clips with the GP100. (Double Action?)

When you consider the total costs of playing in a match like the IRC, (entry fees, hotel, travel, etc) a second gun is about the cheapest insurance you can buy against the risk of a big equipment breakdown.

What should I do.

Paul

+ 1 on the general idea.

I'm a Smith shooter myself and that brand does dominate the sport, but for the costs you're talking about I agree you should look for another gun to add to your collection.

If you stick with the GP100 you can swap the cylinders or cut the new one or whatever, and have twice as many guns; maybe even a backup to carry in your bag to those big, important matches. It seems like the right Smith might even share moon clips with the GP100. (Double Action?)

When you consider the total costs of playing in a match like the IRC, (entry fees, hotel, travel, etc) a second gun is about the cheapest insurance you can buy against the risk of a big equipment breakdown.

+1 million...............had to use my backup gun there this year

It's not the money. I just have a problem in sending my gun to have a new barrel put on it and for the factory to change all the improvments I have done to it and put it back to factory specs. I am not buying a gun from them they are doing work to my gun. So to have any work done by Ruger they will take you back to Square one. That would be a large cost. I shoot the Ruger because it is a very rugged gun and won't come apart in my hand during a stage (ask ffl about that one).

My thinking is that it's a waste to send the gun to Ruger with their policy of disimproving everything to factory specs. If you really want a new barrel use a gunsmith with a track record - some have been mentioned in the forum.

By the way, what came apart in your hand?

My personal favorite is when I didn't check the cylinder screw and I ended up with the cylinder in my hand during a reload. Know that everything fails, everything breaks. Have the pieces and knowledge to prevent it or fix it.

He's talkin about me. in the ICORE match in Topeka the day after the Sunflower Classic on the first stage my cylinder on my 625 decided to part company from my frame during a reload. screw backed out. lesson learned.

My opinion is sell the ruger and get a smith either a 625 or and old argentine 1937 :rolleyes:

I think you might be able to con carmoney out of one that he sells for real cheap. :lol:

Think that the other users don't realize is that Ruger does not sell barrels not even to gunsmiths and they don't have a custom shop. The only source for barrels would be to take one off of another one (GP100) but why do that.

david

When people say "it's not the money" its the money

Edited by ffl

He's talkin about me. in the ICORE match in Topeka the day after the Sunflower Classic on the first stage my cylinder on my 625 decided to part company from my frame during a reload. screw backed out. lesson learned.

My opinion is sell the ruger and get a smith either a 625 or and old argentine 1937 :rolleyes:

I think you might be able to con carmoney out of one that he sells for real cheap. :lol:

Think that the other users don't realize is that Ruger does not sell barrels not even to gunsmiths and they don't have a custom shop. The only source for barrels would be to take one off of another one (GP100) but why do that.

david

Yeah, I'd pay good money for a workable replacement for the S&W Jesus Screw. That's a point in other designs favor. You can keep your crane detent ball locks and whiz-bang cylinder releases. I want a device that will keep the dern crane in the gun so I can throw that !@#$%^& slot-headed screw over the berm.

I had heard about Ruger's part policy, but that only further reinforces the "New York Reload" spares policy. I have had guns go down during matches and just weeks, or days, before important matches. Besides the weeks (months) it can take to get a gun repaired, it usually takes me some time to get a repaired gun sorted back out. A spare gun can save a whole season depending on what breaks when.

I didn't know that Ruger didn't sell basic parts like barrels.

There no reason to own a car where you HAVE TO go to the dealership for an oil change and put air in the tires. Same goes with guns. You can get Glock parts from the factory or lots of others. You can get 1911 parts from bazillions of sources, etc.,

I'm not really a Smith fan (I don't think much of QC) but it is a good basic unit and parts are available.

I don't think Smith will sell you a barrel either

They will sell you one and put it on for you but I don't thing you can just purchase a barrel.

I don't think Smith will sell you a barrel either

They will sell you one and put it on for you but I don't thing you can just purchase a barrel.

I have not found any part that SW would not sell me.

Guys, in a word, it is LIABILITY. That darn Ruger is not the way the factory made it, so it MUST be put right before it goes back to the shooter........smith did that once to me as well.....until I found the right guy to send it to at the factory, and now he is gone.....If you want to shoot the Ruger find a gunsmith.

Good luck,

DougC

Was under the impression that SA Rugers are popular with those who shoot SASS matches and there must be quite a few SASS revolver smiths out there; perhaps they have an "in" w/ Ruger on parts or could adapt soething for you without trashing the work you have had done?

I am afraid I have not been a fan of Ruger since they sold us out on the AWB and due to the fact that I do not see their name on the lists of supporters of USPSA or IDPA competition.

What should I do.

Paul

Paul, I would try Numerich's to get the 6 inch barrel and have a competent Smith do the work. I purchased a Smith 45 barrel from them and put it on myself but had to buy more stuff, ie cutters, rods, etc to do it. they are currently out but you could check back from time to time. Rugers are good to compete with Roger Reid shot a GP 100 in limited and it worked well. the Link Ruger parts. good Luck rdd

What should I do.

Paul

Paul, I would try Numerich's to get the 6 inch barrel and have a competent Smith do the work. I purchased a Smith 45 barrel from them and put it on myself but had to buy more stuff, ie cutters, rods, etc to do it. they are currently out but you could check back from time to time. Rugers are good to compete with Roger Reid shot a GP 100 in limited and it worked well. the Link Ruger parts. good Luck rdd

I am not putting Rugers down, especially after seeing the tune Roger Reid sang with it at this year's IRC. It is just with the PIA of getting parts, and, the fact they cannot be as finely tuned because of their springing, the Smith just makes more competitive sense, especially if you are not going to work on the gun yourself.

Smiths screws and ejector rods loosen. We all know to check them before we compete. And, we all will eventually forget to do so and leave ourselves holding something embarrassing in our hands. :)

Edited by underlug

Seriously guys, put a little blue loctite on every single screw on a S&W revolver, tighten everything down nice 'n' tight, and you will never have a problem. Don't take the gun apart unless you really need to (i.e. only very rarely), but if you do, loctite every single screw again when you put it back together. It's really that simple.

My suggestions to snubby (in order of preference):

(1) get a 625 or 25-2; or

(2) get another GP-100 in the barrel length you like, machine it for moonclips, and keep your snubby for a back-up

If you want a factory barrel rather than getting a custom one put on, why not check with a smith that installs custom barrels and see if he has any "take offs" from past projects. If so, his price for the install should be pretty reasonable.

I want a device that will keep the dern crane in the gun so I can throw that !@#$%^& slot-headed screw over the berm.

How about a bottle of blue loctite? A little dab'll do ya.

Yeah, I use loctite (seems like the Gloved One did too if I remember correctly :blush: ) and I've been lucky so far. But slotted screws holding the crane and sideplate on the gun in the 21st century? They go for Titanium, Scandium, Fiber Optic sights and exotic progressive-twist rifling in their XVR and they can't figure out a captive spring loaded ball or pin or a Torx head screw to help keep the "Wheel" in the "Wheel gun"?

Seems like a case of underachievement to me... <_<

iainmcphersn makes a VERY GOOD point...check w/Clark Custom and David Clements about "Take-Offs"...I once purchased a "Take-Off" 686 cylinder from Clements...never DID find out what the NEW cylinder was for...I was AFRAID to ask!!!....mikey357