Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question About "9mm Major" in GLOCK's...

mikey357

I am currently getting the parts together to "Build"...more like, "Assemble"...a Glock "Racegun"...primary purpose(s) will be for "Steel Challenge"-type matches and the occasional GSSF Match, where it will run in ""Unlimited". I plan to use either a Bar-Sto or a KKM barrel, both of which have a more SUPPORTED chamber than the O.E.M. Glock barrel...what I'm wondering is, with NO FURTHER "Mods", like slide tightening, etc., will the "RaceGlock" be suitable for limited use with 9mm "Major", should I get a "Wild Hair" and wanted to use it in USPSA matches??? Your opinions/comments are welcome...I THINK!!!....mikey357

Mike,

SJC builds 9mm major Glocks so it should be safe. Now how much tightning needs to be done I don't know. A tight chamber is a must.

Have you ever looked a glockjockey.com?

Tony

Hey, Tony, "Long Time, No See"!!! Yeah, I AM aware of the SJC "Raceguns"...VERY nice, but a lil' MORE than what I need for my poor attempts at "Steel" and "GSSF" Matches...I figger' I can save a bit of money--QUITE a bit, actually--by putting the gun together myself, with only what I NEED on it, and leaving off those features I do NOT need/want...leaves "Mo' Money" for OTHER GUNS and AMMO, dontcha' know!!! BTW, are you gonna' shoot the July "Steel Match"??? Sure would be good to see ya' shootin' the "Roundgun"!!!....mikey357

Duck, I had THOUGHT about a "Slide Ride" kinda' optic, but...as I'm NEW to "Red Dot" sights, I think I"ll put a Carver mount on it with the "Weaver" rail, and EXPERIMENT with a coupla' "Big Can"--NOT my "Behind", BTW--sights as well as a C-more or OKO...would I do better with these sights if I DID tighten the slide???

Paulie, whattayamean, "Out of YOUR Price Range"??? A Well-to-do retired FED like yourself??? Man, IF I had YOUR MONEY, I'd BURN MINE!!!....mikey357

Everything in 9mm Major is so critical and sensitive. I wouldn't think it wise to slap one together, they definitely need to be fitted precisely. Maybe if you got the desire to go Open in USPSA with a steel shooting glock, just shoot it minor with light, light bullets and get the velocity up to work the comp, at say a 145 PF or so.

The SJC guns are really nice as are Novak's & a host of others but I don't think there is anything done to the slide & frame to make it more durable for 9mm major. I could be wrong but I've seen & shot several of the different ones & they didn't seem any tighter to me than stock glocks. Most do have gunsmith fitted barrels but that is more an accuracy issue than a longevity one. Obviously if they have a little more chamber support, that is another plus over the stock barrel but again, that doesn't really help the gun "live" better on major ammo. Remember, the frame for the 9mm is the same frame as the .40 cal guns & almost identical to the ones for the .45 gap. Both of those standard loads are major power factor calibers & nothing is done differently to those frames to make them live longer. My 35 I bought used & has had 30k MPF rds through it since I got it with no loosening issues.

I am not saying a good gunsmith can't build you a "better" glock. I just don't think they are doing anything to make them more durable for major power factor ammo.

I suggest a good snug barrel lockup for accuracy especially with a carver mount, your choice of trigger & sights to your liking, then just shoot the gun!

MLM

I thought the slide to frame tightening was to make the trigger smoother and lighten the pull a bit. When you pull the trigger on an untightened slide, the slide moves up and down a bit.

hmm, this is what Dale Rhea says about it, the winningest GSSF competitor in history...

Tightening the slide to frame fit

The loose fit of the slide on the Glock helps enhance its reliability, but shooter pay a price for it in the way the trigger behaves. On a lot of Glocks (particularly well-used .40's), the slide will drop slightly when the trigger bar hits the connector. On some guns, you can actually feel the slide moving up and down as the trigger bar begins to descend.

The motion is usually small -- only perhaps .010 inches, but it's noticeable in fine aiming. Tightengin the slide-to-frame fit all but eliminates this travel.

"Tightening the slide improves the trigger, not accuracy," emphasized Rhea.

By eliminating this excess travel, you bed the slide down to the frame, which gets rid of one hitch in the trigger pull. At the same time, lowering the slide like this increases the amount of engagement between the striker and the trigger cruciform (important if you polish, or make any changes to the striker).

Look at your Glock carefully from the side. Usually you can see the metal frame rails reflecting light from between the slide and the frame. Use a pencil to mark the center of each frame rail on the slide, then get a feel for how much top to bottom play exists between the slide and frame.

Limited shooters usually need to tighten the rear portion of the slide only, but if you have thoughts of using a frame-mounted scope, Rhea says a close fit at the front and rear is essential.

Once you have the slide marked, field strip the gun and lay the slide belly-up on an anvil of vise. Take a hammer and gently tap on the slide rails at the pencil marks. Reassemble the gun, and note whether the top-to-bottom movement has changed.

When I first did this to one of my "project" Glocks, I glimpsed my reflection in the window, and burst out laughing. Here I was, poised to start banging away on a perfectly good slide with a framing hammer? Why not get the splitting maul out so I can work on my watch! When I finished, however, my oldest and loosest Glock had been transformed into my tightest, with the crispest trigger of the bunch.

I KNOW THIS IS AN OBVIOUS POINT, but do this gradually. The penalty for over-tightening the slide is severe. I've got one gun that now has a noticeable rough spot in its travel thanks to my overly-enthusiastic "help." I'm just glad I didn't have to discard the slide.

But, he could be wrong. I don't know, after all, I did read it on the internet.

Article

EDIT: spelling error

Edited by mgcchkn

I have built an open-type Glock, but it took me months to get it to work right and I cheated and used a Carver Hunter mount. There was a lot of recoil spring experimenting, especially with the comp. I've messed with the trigger a lot trying to get something that I consider acceptable.

If you want to use the pistol this year, the SJC package gun might not be a bad deal.

To get a trigger with minimal pre-travel, you should send your pistol to someone with experience.

Getting a pistol with a low, frame-mounted scope to work without choking on it's ejected brass is going to be a pain.

I don't have the guts to smack my slide with a hammer, if you really want the slide tightened, I'd pay someone to do it, and have them replace the slide (at their cost) if they mess up.

I just ordered the SJC major 9. With their tuned ejector and lowered ejection port, there isn't a problem with low mount optics. I shot one at the Ironman and it was one sweet setup. I can't freakin wait for it to show up!

The biggest issue with 9x19 Major in Glock's is the limited amount of COAL you have to work with when working up a load aside from that there are no major issues. BTW, I own 9x19 Major Glocks from Novak and SJC.

Edited by ryucasta

I just ordered the SJC major 9. With their tuned ejector and lowered ejection port, there isn't a problem with low mount optics. I shot one at the Ironman and it was one sweet setup. I can't freakin wait for it to show up!

Hey! That was mine you shot! :cheers:

Welcome to club!

:rolleyes:

There is no Major/Minor power factor in GSSF, and I thought there was no power factor in Steel Challenge...... Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

So if the gun is primarily for GSSF and Steel Challenge, I wouldn't think being able to make major would be important.

Hey! That was mine you shot! :cheers:

Welcome to club!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for letting a bunch of strangers shoot your gun. Not many open shooters would do that (that I've come across anyway). :)

I have a 17C that Novak fitted with a KKM barrel and one of his aluminum comps. Since I shoot GSSF with this gun it's loaded to make the comp work and not for a particular power factor. I would think comp size would be the biggest drawback to change over to major. Most minor PF comps don't have as many ports as those for major. I would think you need to pick which is important and size the comp to that. I can't think of anything else that would prevent you from going to major. If a G18 can take the beating they do and not have anything done to them I doubt you'll have a problem with a 17 and a comp.

Slide tightening is done to reduce trigger creep, not so you can use a frame mounted optic mount like the Carver. I sometimes do tighten the slide when I do a trigger, the 17C slide needed it.

I'm new to this stuff so I'm not too clear on what it means to "work the compensator." Don't they work if they're on the gun? How do you know if your comp isn't working? :huh:

I'm new to this stuff so I'm not too clear on what it means to "work the compensator." Don't they work if they're on the gun? How do you know if your comp isn't working? :huh:

Well I'm sure somebody will have a better explanation but, a compensator takes gases and ports them upward to reduce/eliminate muzzle rise/flip. You need a load that provides sufficient gas to do the job. With a gun making major you typically will need more gas and more ports to use the gas effectively to reduce the rise/flip. In GSSF with no power factor we're using enough powder to make the slide cycle as quickly as possible and keep the muzzle flip as low as possible without meeting an arbitrary PF. Quicker cycle time, less dot jitter and quicker second shot. If that's not clear enough I'm sure someone can clarify it for you. :)

so in GSSF are you trying to shoot as hot of a load as you can to make it cycle quicker and work the comp, or do you tune your gun to do the same thing for lighter loads?

Bobby, Steve and myself are all using the Novak comp which seems to work well with the lighter loads. BUT these loads are still hotter than I shoot in my stock guns. Going with even hotter loads hasn't seemed to improve things in my testing. In USPSA you HAVE to make PF, so you tune the gun to meet that requirement.

Edited by Fireglock