Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brain Freeze

dcarter

I just got back from the Indiana Sectional. Great match and well run! My question, for all you brighter people, is how do you remember your stage plan while shooting? I have had nothing but problems with this since I began almost 2 years ago. I have a stage all figured out, go over that plan numerous times and can visualize every shot. I start out well and then something doesn't go as planned and my whole plan goes flying out my ass.

I had 2 stages at Indiana that I had all worked out and then somewhere I forgot to do my mag changes. Man, I hate running dry! I feel stupid and look worse. Anyone have any mind-altering drugs or some special ear pulling exercise to help with this on-going problem?

When I am doing my walk through and air gunning the stage as opposed to saying/thinking "bang-bang" I count 1,2-3,4 and so on I find a hard point in the stage and tell myself no matter what I will reload at this point (of course I do sometimes deviate but that is the basic plan) when I pass this port or after that series of targets. I hope that is of some help. One more thing I keep in mind is that my body will not be as relaxed as the walk through, so I try to keep myself from stretching to far to make a shot. Otherwise it can throw off my whole plan if I have to think on my feet to figure out how to get the hits.

Phil

I also use a group of targets, a port, or a place of movement to do my reloads. This might be a little harder for you if you are shooting single stack or L10 because you don't have the cushon of some extra rounds in your gun. There is almost always a place where you have to move or transition targets during a stage and that is where you want to reload. Remember one thing....Static reloads are DOWN TIME!!!! I hope this helps.

TG

Always have extra mags on your belt.

If you get stuck, and have to hit an extra reload, get back on your plan and reload again at your next scheduled reload point.

I knew a guy a few years ago that had problems getting his plan down in his head. Here is what he did (and became Ohio's first Grand Master): http://andersonshooting.com/analysistool.htm

For you Production Shooters ...... any time you move ..... RELOAD. If you go to another shooting position, or port .... RELOAD. If you take more than 2 steps in any direction .... RELOAD.

Also remember that concious shooting (sight picture & trigger control) takes alot of your focus away. When you get comfortable with your basic shooting skills, they will become SUBCONCIOUS, thereby allowing you to focus on the stage plan.

For 10-or-less-round limited classes, you should still be able to shoot an entire array without a reload (rev. excluded) so your plan should be "go here, shoot, move and reload". There aren't really that many options on a stage, so you should only have to remember a couple of things at a time. After a while you'll develop a ten-count in your head that will help you in times of need (after missing on steel) but in general, pick your spot, take care of business, move and reload, repeat.

H.

Guest 38superman
I just got back from the Indiana Sectional. Great match and well run! My question, for all you brighter people, is how do you remember your stage plan while shooting? I have had nothing but problems with this since I began almost 2 years ago. I have a stage all figured out, go over that plan numerous times and can visualize every shot. I start out well and then something doesn't go as planned and my whole plan goes flying out my ass.

I had 2 stages at Indiana that I had all worked out and then somewhere I forgot to do my mag changes. Man, I hate running dry! I feel stupid and look worse. Anyone have any mind-altering drugs or some special ear pulling exercise to help with this on-going problem?

I wish I had some magic cure for brain freeze.

If I did it wouldn't have happened to me repeatedly at the Ga sectional.

I think a lot of it has to do with the heat.

Some of it has to do with mental discipline.

Many words of advice have been written about letting go of a bad stage and move on.

If you dwell on a mistake you will not "be there" mentally on the next stage.

I learned a lesson that the reverse is also true.

There was a stage with a Texas star (fixed) with a no-shoot behind each plate.

I was really worried about it but blazed through it with no penalties, good hits and a smokin time.

The next stage was a simple classifer.

I didn't mentally prepare for it because I took it for granted and was still basking in the glory of the previous stage.

I got half way through a string and just stopped to contemplate my hits.

By the time I realized I still need to reload and shoot again I had burned 3 or 4 seconds.

Two other stages had similar problems.

My plan to avoid future brain freeze is this:

Take each stage one at a time.

I will let go of the previous stages good or bad and focus like a laser on what I am doing now.

I will not allow anything to distract me from my mental preparation when I am getting ready to shoot.

When the buzzer goes off, I will have my game face on........... I swear it.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

You are not ready to shoot until you can see the entire stage in your mind as a first and/or third person movie.

It's that simple.

As you walk the stage, you must memorize every relevant detail.

Check out my stage analysis tool and re-read my first sentence.

SA

You are not ready to shoot until you can see the entire stage in your mind as a first and/or third person movie.

It's that simple.

As you walk the stage, you must memorize every relevant detail.

Check out my stage analysis tool and re-read my first sentence.

SA

+1...million :)

Burn that plan into your head! That's why I got to the range the day before I shot. I made my plans, and chewed on them over a good nights sleep. The next day, when we had our 5 minutes, I only needed 2 to reaffirm exactly what I was going to do. After LAMR, I run it one more time in my head, seeing two perfect alphas on each target. I can tell you exactly how I ran each stage at IN, as well as the SC and A6 matches.

Having extra mags is also a plus. After the Ohio Sectional last year, I have 5 on my belt. The more mags you have, the more options you give yourself, and the greater buffer zone you have. When it rains (like at IN) mags get dropped, get funky, and get fubar'd.

Another technique that Bill taught me is to look for markers. When you are driving, you automatically look for the Speedway on Brown St. or the Taco Place on Stroop Rd. The same thing can be applied to breaking down a stage. Remember the Baseball stage? I knew that after engaging the array at 2nd base, I was going to run to the right 3 steps while keying on the hardcover target and put two alpha on it and the two targets to it's left.

All in all, we all have room for improvement, but you DID make 3rd C in Production...at a major match...and your first one at that! :cheers:

A simple plan that you can execute well at your current level is better than the best possible plan for running a stage if it is stretching your ability level. I have found that in my case the best possible plan has me shooting to ten and thus only leaving me on in the chamber. If the plan has be doing that three times during the stage it won't be a good stage. Build in if possible an extra bullet or two per mag change. For example if there are 8 steel in an array don't plan on shooting on more paper on the move before reloading.

Thanks guys for all your input. Maybe I'm not going over the stage enough, I don't know. I feel like I did all of these things and still have this problem. I came to the match on Saturday too. I was there at 0915 going over each stage while a stage was waiting for a squad. I took notes then took them back to my hotel and went over each one in dry fire. I could see every step, every mag change and every stansition. I thinks my problem comes when something doesn't go as it should. My plan gets all messed up when the stage doesn't go as I have memorized. I guess my best bet would be to quickly track myself from the next movement, mag change or transition to get back on my plan as I'm going through the course. Thanks PB, I know I could have done better but I'm not too upset about my first "Big" match. I had a great time shooting with our squad.

Guest 38superman

I understand.

You're programming the stages pretty well.

That's not the problem.

The problem is how to handle it when the plan is blown out the window.

There are a lot of things that can get you out of your game plan.

For instance, needing a lot of extra shots on a steel array that forces a mag change before you planned it.

Accidentaly hitting the mag release and dropping a mag that was almost full.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

The only answer I can give you is you just have to improvise.

When the unexpected happens, just keep pushing throught the stage.

Reload at every opportunity so that you don't run the gun dry and have extra mags on your belt.

I used to carry an extra mag in my hip pocket for my "Barney Bullet" loading.

I had to use it on a stage once because one of my full mags fell off my belt while I was running.

You can never have too much ammo.

Tls

.. when the unexpected happen you will default to your level of training... look at any US National tapes and you will see all type of weird things happen..what do the pros do.. deal with it and move on.. they do it because they can!! (the 'can ' is through training)..

I think my problem comes when something doesn't go as it should.

No matter how long you compete, things seldom go as planned. But with some more experience, it won't rattle you as much. Forgetting to reload is a common error in the beginning. But with good visualization and experience, that problem will start to fix itself.

Keep up the good work on visualizing everything you will do and see. In the end that's what it comes down to.

be

Hi Dan - I too had this problem at the same level in skills. Somewhere on this forum is a great thread about it - lemme see if I can find that sucker - I'm not a good "searcher"!

EDIT: I found 'em!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...177&hl=plan