Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

War

Shooter Grrl

Yes indeed, war certainly sucks, but sadly it's inevitable at times.

The US has demonstrated incredible restraint after 9/11, but the time for diplomacy has ended. Saddam will be a bad memory very shortly and the world will be a better place when he is.

Godspeed to all coalition troops.

While I'm sure none of our leaders will be reading my post, my hope is that:

a) We hurry up and get this the hell over with.

and...

4) the Bush administration is smart enough to accept one thing: total, unconditional surrender. Everything else equals an Iraqi ass-whooping. No more diplomacy, negotiations, deals, amnesty, or any other goddamned thing. Otherwise, we're going to be at war with these a-holes in another 12 years.

Finish it!

I think "W" learned from the mistakes of his father. War sucks but it is the only thing that will stop people like Sadamm. We do it over there before they hit us here again. My biggest reget is that an A$#@&&* like Sean Penn came home from Iraq and some of our troops won't.

Bush Sr. didn't make any mistakes, Saddam wasn't the target 12 years ago. Liberating Kuwait was. People always seem to forget that. Sure, if we got rid of him 12 years ago, we might not be in this current mess. But, one of his sons (who are reportedly more crazy than the old man) could have been in charge and who knows where we'd be today. This is what we get for not having an assassination policy (unlike the Israelis) [ps - my opinion only here folks]

I do hope that the military campaign comes to a swift and decisive end, for the sake of our troops (1) and general Iraqi public (2).

BD,

I'll disagree. Saddam was a problem then and just grew bigger. Vietnam and the first go round in Iraq is what you get when you let some college boy politicians run a military op. War is designed to break things and kill people like Saddam. You can try the PC version and you end up going back again and again. How many of his own people did he kill in the last 12 years and how much is it going to cost us to fix it now? Either go to war like you mean it or stay the hell home.

CG - I see and understand your point. However, I just read all of the relevant UN Resolutions regarding the Gulf War. There is not a single sentence, word, phrase, comment or hint that Saddam should have been removed from power or terminated. Those resolutions had to do with the liberation of Kuwait from Iraqi occupation. If you remember your history, the ground forces were stopped short of Baghdad, by the UN Security Council (of which we are a permanent member).

Yes, conventional war results in broken stuff and dead people, there is no argument there. The college boy politicians had nothing to do with the operations in Iraq and Kuwait (Vietnam is another story). Our political leaders helped shape the long and broad goals of the campaign, the generals (Powell and Schwartzkopf) the greater details of the operation (both of which are college eductated boys, West Point to be exact) and then downward through the chain of command, the way an 'op' should be run. If it were the other way around, the Military would run this country.

I totally agree that if a few things were different 12 years ago, we would not be in the mess now, perhaps. The cost and headache now have the ability to be substantial. It could be a completely different mess with Iraq. What happend 12 years ago cannot be changed. However, it should have never taken us 12 years to get to this point, and that is the point. If our former President Clinton and the UN would have applied steady pressure to Iraq, we would likely not be in this mess. (no this is not a political party stab either).

The UN and thier lack of backbone is the cause of all of this mess, IMO. Draft all the Resolutions you want, have all the votes you want. But if you don't give them substance, toilet paper has more utility. This is exactly what has happened.

Ya, when people die, it sucks.

The way I feel about it is....this ain't no damn war!

The feak'n media throws that word around and expects us to emotionally react to it like WW1,WW2, Korea and Vietnam. I think the word "war" should be reserved for a conflict where the players are equal in terms of military strength.

Ya, we're gonna loose some troops, but not as many as the generations did before us.

It's not like our boys are going to get machine-gun-slaughtered when the ramp lowers

on their landing craft (ala Normandy). Our generation (most people under 50) don't know what war is.

I'd like to see the liberal media jump on this "war"

"In 1999, 5,749 teens died of injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes. On average, that's one teen death on the nation's roadways every 91 minutes"

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/fact_book/27_Teen...ehind_Wheel.htm

It's all relative.

I've sat with 5000 shipmates, in a "dog-zebra" station with gas masks on wondering if it's for real or just another exercise. Those guys in the gulf don't need our sympathy, they need our support.

Believe it or not, some of them actually like this stuff! HOOOO-YAAA! :ph34r:

Testosterone is a beautiful thing ;)

(for the record, my comments aren't aimed at anyone on this thread, just at the bleeding heart democrat news anchors)

War or conflict,,,it all blows...

Twix and I were on a carrier in the med during the Lybia event. America has the best fighting force but most of them are so bored they can't stand it. I hope the strikes are quick, clean and effective.

I have been listening to the reports all day. I love the way the media is whinning about not getting any information about the operations!!!

Buy a book when it's over sensationalist!!!

This is a political statement.

I served under Ronald Reagan. I never once felt like the actions of my country were in question. My feeling is the troups that are representing us now have the confidence to do their job as directed. A stark departure from the idiot regime that was playing leader during most of the sodom insanity.

You can't blame Bush Sr for this mess. A UN resolution forbid him from going on to Bagdad. W has learned from that and has done a magnificent job so far.

Saudi Arabia is the holy land to Muslems, US has had troops and bases there because of Saddam's incursion into Kuwait. This is what gave Bin Lauden a cause and support from Muslems. Remember this when someone can't make the connection between Iraq, terrorism, and Bin Laden. If Saddam hadn't invaded Kuwait there wouldn't have been a 911.

After we get rid of Saddam and his bunch I hope we can pull out of the middle east for good.

The media makes me sick. Why don't they just report what happens, instead of what [they think] will happen?

2alpha,

Sadly I don't think we will ever be done in the middle east.