Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantage Arms 22 Conversions for a Glock 17/22

gator

Love mine, but there are both pluses and minuses.

First, what's good - practicing for about one fifth the ammo cost per round using the same trigger group and virtually the same sight set up as my production gun. I can do most drills where recoil recovery is not part of the equation (precision/group shooting, movement, target acquisition and some transition drills). No brass recovery to kill my back. No (or at least less) reloading to do.

Now, the not so good - the AA slide is wider than standard, so the converted pistol will not fit into any holster that encloses the slide. Trigger guard race holsters should work fine, but otherwise drills from the draw are out. Recoil is almost nonexistent, so splits/transitions and the exact kinesthetics of the reload will be thrown off going back to centerfire match loads vs the .22.

I used to practice 300 to 400 rounds. Now it's fairly common that I burn up a bonus pack of Remington Golden Bullets (550 rds) and finish with a couple hundred match rounds on the reassembled Production Glock to get me grooved back into match conditions.

YMMV,

Kevin

ETA that I have the Law Enforcement model, which carries Glock's OEM adjustable rear sight. The Target version looks a bit odd to me, and, I would imagine, would have even more holster headaches than the LE version.

Edited by kevin c

I have the Target model. Fits a little snug into a race-cut Helweg kydex holster but it does fit.

Runs perfect with CCI MiniMag, not-so-perfect with other ammo. MiniMags make 3/8" groups too.

As Flex said, do a Search, several threads already on the AA 22.

Anybody have an opinion on the Advantage Arms 22 Conversions for a Glock 17/22. Are they any good? Thanks

I bought the 17 LE model a couple of months ago and I think it's great. Switched out the "factory" sights with some Heinies, so the setup is just like my production gun. The slide is aluminum, so the overall weight is much lighter. I've been using it with a kydex holster from Dave Elderton. Seems to fit a little more snug than my real G17, but still good enough for practice. I've shot Remington Golden Bullets, CCI minimags, and plain CCI Blazer, all of which have functioned. I noticed with the Remington, I've had several case separations. So, keep a cleaning rod with you. The first time this happened, I brain farted and put the gun away. I carry a 9mm squib rod, but didn't remember my cleaning rod. While driving home, I was thinking about how to get the case out. Then it struck me. Duh!!

Good luck,

Itchy

I have the LE version and love it. Works in my holsters just fine.

A little more picky than a Glock, needs to be kept clean and oiled to work good. It is a little picky about ammo, I use Remington Golden Bullets for practice (Although there are always duds in those packs), when using it to shoot bowling pin competitions I used CCI Mini Mags for complete reliability.

• 2 weeks later...

When I switched from heinies to the Sevigny sights, I put them on my AA.

Sight picture is what I am used to. Appears to shoot fine for the things I am doing with it indoors.

Edited by vluc

I just got one and shot it for the first time over the weekend. It works great, but I was having some issues with the CCI Blazer ammo, it was bulging the case at the feed ramp (not 100% supported chamber) and would fail to extract. Had to use the cleaning rod to poke it out. I ran some Remington Gold through it flawlessly though.

Another complaint I have is it greatly altered my trigger pull. I have the Vanek Grand Master trigger kit and my very smooth 2-3 pound pull is gone, it's more like stock now.

Other than that, I love this thing. Just wish it came with 2 mags instead of one. :)

I just got one and shot it for the first time over the weekend. It works great, but I was having some issues with the CCI Blazer ammo, it was bulging the case at the feed ramp (not 100% supported chamber) and would fail to extract. Had to use the cleaning rod to poke it out. I ran some Remington Gold through it flawlessly though.

Another complaint I have is it greatly altered my trigger pull. I have the Vanek Grand Master trigger kit and my very smooth 2-3 pound pull is gone, it's more like stock now.

Other than that, I love this thing. Just wish it came with 2 mags instead of one. :)

Trigger pull is probably heavier because you've got a lighter-than-stock firing pin spring in your Glock slide. The firing pin tang in my AA upper was also longer than stock which makes for more creep. With the tang stoned to match the Glock firing pin tang protrusion, I can't tell any difference between the trigger pulls with a stock Glock upper and AA upper.

Trigger pull is probably heavier because you've got a lighter-than-stock firing pin spring in your Glock slide. The firing pin tang in my AA upper was also longer than stock which makes for more creep. With the tang stoned to match the Glock firing pin tang protrusion, I can't tell any difference between the trigger pulls with a stock Glock upper and AA upper.

Thanks for the info. :)

My AA conversion works fine with a wolff RP striker spring. I also polished the striker when I had it

out. Also used a Qtip with Flitz to polish the drop-safety a little [didn't take it apart though].

Again, this is with CCI MiniMag ammo. Don't know if the lite striker spring will set off all ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had one for about a year and love it. Works great and ammo is cheap. My only fault with it is the 10 round mags, but, I suppose they have to sell to states that don't allow high caps.

I didn't know that it won't fit in the holsters I've been using! Guess I should stop that.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone -

I have just received my AA LE kit and love it! Works great with Mini Mags and Golden Bullets.

My question to other users of this product is how well are your AA magazines holding up? I love this kit, but I am wondering how long the magazines will last - the feed lips look less than robust -

Any thoughts would be appreciated -

sw

I have five mags that have 2500 to 3000 rounds through each. The only problem I've had is a minor follower cleaning issue causing misfeeds (see here - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=conversion). I use only Remington Golden Bullets and CCI MiniMags in mine.

I don't practice reloads with the mags, and I try not to drop them on the gravel surface of our range. They're in pretty good shape so far.

Kevin C.

I have five mags that have 2500 to 3000 rounds through each. The only problem I've had is a minor follower cleaning issue causing misfeeds (see here - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=conversion). I use only Remington Golden Bullets and CCI MiniMags in mine.

I don't practice reloads with the mags, and I try not to drop them on the gravel surface of our range. They're in pretty good shape so far.

Kevin C.

I've got a bunch of the conversion units, including one for the 1911 from AA...really nice people to deal with and the product is great. I beat the living hell out of mine and they keep on working, they seem to have a Dillon type of warrenty also. I've cut down the recoil spring on one unit for the G17/22 and it lets me use about any bulk ammo. It's a captured guide rod, but with care you shorten the spring a touch. Polish the chamber with a 38 cal cleaning mop and some flitz like compond and extraction and feeding seems to improve to about 98% - remember with 22 ammo nothing is 100%...my stock ruger mk11 still runs at 98-99%...

Mags are good for many thousands of rounds, the new mags come apart for cleaning, the older mags have less body, so they have less area contacting the grip area, so they will eject a little better than the new, but with brass mag pads glued on, who cares?

Haven't had any holster issues like KevinC has, might have loosened up the screws on a holster for a little less tension. I've watched KevenC do a lot of range practice with his conversion unit and you can see the improvement in his shooting each week. I've only used the LE models, I like to replace the sights with the same ones that are on the stock slides, so I don't have to worry about different sight pictures, no problems there with the aluminum slide and installing sights that I've done.

The large frame glocks have no muzzle jump with the 22 kits on them, I can see this being a steel challenge setup in the near future, great practice for the real thing.

Still waiting for parts for a G27 to come in, once that gun is working, it came with an AA kit for the little guns, this should be interesting....

michaels

Update:

I tried my Uncle Mike's holster again, backing the screws out a lot. It's a bit snug, but the AA top end will fit. Still no go on the comptac.

Just a few practice draws and the AA slide is already scuffed. I'll have to sacrifice aesthetics for cheap draw practice.

KC

What kind of cost are these conversions usually running? I have seen a few in shot gun news for about 200, is that fairly standard?

Look here: http://advantagearms.com/

The price on the unit itself is pretty std. The mags can often be found at various vendors for a bit less than $25.

1911/2011 conversions apparently take more engineering/manufacturing than the Glock versions, and just about all the vendors for them ask for $300 or more for a new unit with one or two mags.