Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV slide binding

ap3

HELP!! I have an open SV that has worked fine for a couple of years. Recently is will shoot about 1 to 10 rounds and then fail to eject a round because the slide is unable to move any further to the rear. It then takes significant force to move the slide to full cycle and then as soon as it is is cycles all the way it will move freely through full cycle by hand without any problem.

Multiple hand cycling will not cause the problem to repeat, but after I load it up within 1 to 10 rounds it does it again. The ejector is not binding in any way, nor is the ejector retaining pin in the way. I replaced the recoil spring, but it did not make the problem go away. The guide rod does not appear to be bent, but it feels as if something is dragging where the slide,recoil plug barrel work together. I can not figure out what the is the problem. Any and all suggestions are appreciated as I am truly stumped.

Edited by ap3

It's a longshot, but check the edges of the recoil guide head (probably a better name for it). If it can twist slightly, some are high enough to make contact with the bottom edge of the slide rail. Side of the head will have wear marks if it is making contact.

Have also seen the slide stop move over just enough to lock up the slide, but not actually come out. This one is easier to find - if a little side pressure on it releases the slide.

Good luck,

Sherwyn

Edited by Sherwyn

Some good suggestions I am gong to try this evening. To provide some more info, I am not running a shock buff. the slide and frame run smoothly together when taken apart, and the ejector compltly clears the slide.

Oh, and I can't afford another gun.

If it is an interchangeable breech face slide check to make sure the breech face nut has not backed off. You have to take the firing pin out and tighten it with an allen wrench. If it is loose clean it , degrease it and the breech face and reinstall using a very very small amount of blue locktite.

After checking the brrech face and that not fixing the proble I changed out the reverse plug and the guide rod. One of them was out of spec becasue that seemed to have solved the problem. I could not any problem with the guide, ut one of these two was the culpret.

Thank you for the suggestions.