Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about shooting revo but..........

Neomet

Allright, I have to admit it. I've been shooting Ms. Neomet's 4" 686 and have been having a grand time of it. I actually shot it at one of the fun matches at the local range. Had a blast. (Being a lefty sure seems to help with reloads!) I am thinking I would like to compete with a revo in addition to my limited gun but there remains one pesky problem.......

Nobody shoots wheelguns.

If I shoot the USPSA matches locally there is one other shooter with a revolver and he normally doesn't show up for anything but the steel matches. While the idea of boasting to everyone that I took either first or second every week has a certain allure, it is ultimately unsatisfying. I know that I should be viewing the competition as simply against my best time, or not be competing but just shooting, or being so focused on my sight picture that I don't notice anyone else is there, but I gotta admit I like to compete.

From my reading of the USPSA rules if I don't want to shoot (be) the revo class my only other choice is to shoot open. Sorry, but my ability to accept humiliation does have some limits. Am I misreading the rules here? Could I get a 627 and shoot production with 8 shots? Seems like my only other choice is just to see how I stack up in the overall and just try to catch a couple big matches with more shooters.

I have not shot the IDPA matches as yet and guess I could shoot SSR there with the 686 but I find the run and gun of USPSA more entertaining.

Thanks for any insights!

If you want to shoot an 8-shot the place right now is L-10. Or count to 6 in Revolver.

In '08 it looks like you will also be able to run it in Production with a Production type holster - moonclip holders can be carried in the front.

Please understand that shooting in Revolver Division (6-shot Major)is a mental game, a game of accuracy, speed, reloads, and stage management. How well can you do and how few point down at speed? But there is very real pressure placed on shooters in the other Divisions. It's generally tough for them to face the possibility of being beaten by a revolver. It shouldn't matter, but it does, to your benefit. They push hard and miss, you be smooth and accurate. You will be amazed at how many bottom feeders you will smoke past.

Speaking of Nobody, "My Name is Nobody" is one of my favorite movies. Nobody is that fast.

I agree with Viggen, shoot your game, others revolver will come. It's a pleasure seeing how many auto shooters you can outgun, if not on the match, on individual stages. :cheers:

Allright, I have to admit it. I've been shooting Ms. Neomet's 4" 686 and have been having a grand time of it. I actually shot it at one of the fun matches at the local range. Had a blast. (Being a lefty sure seems to help with reloads!) I am thinking I would like to compete with a revo in addition to my limited gun but there remains one pesky problem.......

Nobody shoots wheelguns.

If I shoot the USPSA matches locally there is one other shooter with a revolver and he normally doesn't show up for anything but the steel matches. While the idea of boasting to everyone that I took either first or second every week has a certain allure, it is ultimately unsatisfying. I know that I should be viewing the competition as simply against my best time, or not be competing but just shooting, or being so focused on my sight picture that I don't notice anyone else is there, but I gotta admit I like to compete.

From my reading of the USPSA rules if I don't want to shoot (be) the revo class my only other choice is to shoot open. Sorry, but my ability to accept humiliation does have some limits. Am I misreading the rules here? Could I get a 627 and shoot production with 8 shots? Seems like my only other choice is just to see how I stack up in the overall and just try to catch a couple big matches with more shooters.

I have not shot the IDPA matches as yet and guess I could shoot SSR there with the 686 but I find the run and gun of USPSA more entertaining.

Thanks for any insights!

"Nobody shoots wheelguns. " But if you do that statemant shall no longer be true. You can shoot your revo in any class you want....except Single Stack.. Shoot what ever makes you smile. If you shoot it someone will join you.. Like the old saying "Miserey loves company". I have a revolver I like to shoot but my other gun is an open revolver. In one club I am usually the only revo shooter there unless Ken travels 100 mile to beat me. I shoot against and compare my shooting with everyone at the match by looking at the overalls.

I started shooting revolver this season with a 625. More fun than my 1911 was. Frustrating as hell at times 'cause it seems everything is stacked against you. Somebody, I'm sure, will correct me if I'm wrong but I think my 625 (for instance) is legal for any class but Single Stack. Tom

I started shooting revolver this season with a 625. More fun than my 1911 was. Frustrating as hell at times 'cause it seems everything is stacked against you. Somebody, I'm sure, will correct me if I'm wrong but I think my 625 (for instance) is legal for any class but Single Stack. Tom

You are correct it's just that right now if running in Production you would have to place the moonclip holders behind the hip bone or whatever it's called.

And when you get the 627 or 625, gear up and go to the IRC - the biggest and best revolver match in the world.

Edited by Viggen

I have to agree with Haras and Viggen. Shoot the way you want too and worry much less about the class your in. I bought a 627 and have been very happy with it. I shoot against autos most of the time and and generally run in the middle of the pack. The 8 shot allows me to shoot like a single stack, and many stages are single stack friendly. As long as I get my hits, I don't have to do many standing reloads, so I can run and gun like everyone else. With a 6 shot, I have a harder time planning out the stages and have to do more reloading, which ultimately makes my times slower.

I am fortunate to have a local ICORE club, so the 627 works well against other revo shooters too.

But nothing is as satisfying as beating an auto on a high round count stage. :D

Rich

Show them how much fun you're having shooting revolver, and they will start to shoot the wheelguns with you. In the past couple months, three more shooters at my home club have acquired nice new custom 625s (and we're a pretty small club)!

Push it. Sell it. Make it happen.

I have shot revolver so many time and been the only one.

It gets to be a drag after a while to be the only revolver shooter.

Shoot it anyway though if you want.

Here is where the good feeling comes in, shooting a revolver and being in the top 3rd overall.

I shot a match with 23 other shooters I think and finished 6th overall.

Thanks guys. I am definitely going into the pool. I was just hoping that I could shoot in a specific division other than revo or open. I love the idea of wupping up on some L10 guys and perhaps getting a few to see the light. I was thinking (perhaps inaccurately) that shooting essentially like a singlestack with an 8 shot 627 would be an intriguing challenge, but not undoable.

Alright, so if I am going to play 8 shot L10/production how about some tips on gear. I'm guessing 627 (I like the look of the TRR8 without all the crap attached to it). Good choice.... bad choice? Got a holster/moonclip holder sorted out but what mods are needed to the gun itself. I know Randy is the Almighty of action jobs but if his wait time is a couple months I will miss most of the season. I tend to like to get my gun squared away once at the beginning and cut down on the down time of modifing it once I start to shoot. I prefer shooting to nagging my 'smith about when I can get my shooter back. :-)

My opinion?--If you really want to do this thing right, get a 625 and shoot real Revolver Division. Get some local practice, make your club publish the true overall results so you know exactly how you compare to everyone shooting the matches. Then when you're regularly kicking plenty of semi-auto ass, start hitting the sectionals and area matches where you will encounter some real competition in USPSA Revolver.

Shooting L-10 or Production with an 8-shot revolver is a stunt to mess around with once in awhile when you're bored later on down the line. Yeah, you can beat up on the bozos that way, but you will never be truly competitive against good shooters in those other divisions.

Keep in real. Shoot Revo.

Just my opinion.

Go with a 625, take it to the Steel Matches and befriend the other Revo there.

The Maytag Syndrome is why you see so many of the same name Revolero's at larger matches (many travel long distances for their pleasures). We hunger for real competition. And it's lonely at home, at least to start.

It took almost 3 years and now my local club has a pretty solid group of Revo's. And many others wanting to jump in. It's just difficult to wean them off of those hi-cap mags and short trigger strokes.

But it's worth the effort.

Welcome!

P.S. just smile pleasantly when someone talks of Revo Friendly courses, or start teasing you. Most don't mean anything bad.

My favorite is "You got enough ammo there?" When I have "ONLY" 42 rounds on my belt. And the quiper is loaded with 4+ Hi-cap mags=72-100+rounds. After I point that out, then smoke a course, or two, they suddenly start looking at me as if I'm a friggin' wizard. Just keep the same humble smile either way.

I was toying with the idea of shooting the 625 or 627 in lim-10 this year for some local matches and our sectional but in the end chose not to and stick with the 625 in revolver division. I have been keeping tabs on how I may have done against the lim-10 folks and am happy with my performance.

A couple of weeks ago at a steel match I shot the 625 in lim revolver and the 627 in open revolver, with iron sights, and would have done very well had I shot either gun in limited division. Had I known that I may have shot in limited division as there is an actual payback for this match with few revolver shooters.

I love shooting anything, but I went to the IRC last year, my company sponsored a stage and I got a free entry to the match. I borrowed a friends 625 and gear figured up a load and headed to CA. I did not finish last and I was hooked. I ended up buying the gun and gear shooting it in our local matches and started beating some bottom feeders. I went to the Sunflower ICORE match in Topeka, and the Mid-West Regional in Tontitown and had a blast and met some great guys, most of which are on here (this forum). I then went to the IRC again and I beat my brother (who got hooked) and I did not finish last (which is a good thing) and even got bumped up a class. One of the shooters there won a gun (686+) and gave it to my son and he is now hooked. (see other thead on this forum on 686 for 11 year old).

All I can say is that Revo shooters are some of the greatest and best group of shooters out there. They never fail to help you or share loading and gun data with you.

Get a 625 and shoot

David

Find a single stack/L10 shooter with a similar skill level at your club with a sense of humor. The two of you squad up each match, and shoot against each other.

Not only will it make both of you better shooters, but the example of having fun you'll set will not only encourage more wheegunners, but encourage others to keep at it.

Okay, which one of you guys is tempting me here?? Just got back from our Thursday night pin shoot and what happened to have come into the shop??? Oh yeah, a JM 625. Trigger actually feels a bit heavier than our 686 but we have shot the bejeezus out of that gun. Nice, nice gun. Not heavy at all given the frame size. I think a touch overpriced at $750 though.