Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does revolver shooting help or hurt you?

BigDave

What are some experiences after you shoot your wheelgun for a while and then decide to shoot your auto (1911 specifically, but other experiences are welcome)? I'm thinking that the patience, recoil management and smoothness you have to have as a revolver shooter can only help you as a Limited/Limited 10 shooter. Am I wrong?

Dave,

Just my 2 cents, but if I want to get better with any I handle and shoot THAT gun as much as I can. This is following the advice of TGO. I am shooting limited but I do use my open gun (about the same balance) to take advantage of using the dot to see how different arms positions effect the overall gun movement, and so I can see the movement of the dot on the draw to make sure I am tracking right.

As far as the list of stuff you listed that you need to improve, I think that the key to shooting fast is to see fast. Shooting a revolver is not as fast and if you get used to seeing slow (revlover pace) it might hurt you more than it would help.

Smoothness comes from knowing the exact movements you need to make to accomplish a task and doing no more, or no less.

Good luck and DVC

• 5 weeks later...
As far as the list of stuff you listed that you need to improve, I think that the key to shooting fast is to see fast. Shooting a revolver is not as fast and if you get used to seeing slow (revlover pace) it might hurt you more than it would help.

That's not necessarily true. On Jerry M's video tape, he does .16 splits on the Bill Drill, with that big honkin' 8-3/8" Model 27. Even I can turn in splits in the low/mid .2s, and I haven't shot a revolver seriously for years.

When my trigger control goes to hell in my autos I shoot a Revo nonstop for awhile to get my timing down. It helps me when I go back to the autos. Works for me.

I believe that putting in the effort to get good with a DA revolver will seriously help an auto pistol shooter. The revolver teaches you rhythm, and that, on transitions, the work of the next shot begins long before you get to the next target. With autos we have a tendendy to fire individual shots, with a revolver you have to commit to a string of shots. Totally different mindset. If you can take the sense of rhythm, of commitment, that comes from shooting a revovler with you when you go back to the 1911 it will serve you greatly, if you can make the mental leap necessary not to treat it like a single action auto, but instead like a DA revolver with really short trigger pulls.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Duane. (just kidding Duane)

I think shooting a variety of guns, including rifles, improve your overall shooting ability. I know there are many people who dissagree with that statement. But shooting, at it's core, comes down to fundamentals of marksmanship. Really it's very simple, make sure the sights are aligned and on target and pull the trigger without disrupting the sights and you will hit your target EVERY time. But for some reason, trying to do that at lightening speed is difficult.

I think whether you're shooting a rifle at 200yds or a .22 revolver at 10yds, it all helps with your fundamentals, trigger control, seeing the sights and target, etc. I know I enjoy shooting different guns and switch from time to time.

One thing I would add, when preparing for a big match I do concentrate on the gun I'll be shooting for at least a month or two. I think you need to be familiar with that gun's feel, natural point of aim, trigger, etc.

I just shot my SVI after a couple months of shooting only revo in IPSC matches and practice. The thing I noticed was that I seem to be better at tracking the front sight as it moves up and down in recoil. The amount of muzzle flip shooting major in an SVI was so much less than the flip in the revolver.

Louis

• 4 weeks later...
I think the fact that my revolver forces me to focus on my trigger technique and slow down actually helps my technique with my 1911's.

I agree.

With the light, short pull of the auto, when attempting to shoot quickly, it seems naturally easier for the body-mind to divide the two components of "seeing what you need to see" and "pulling the trigger" into two separate operations: See, then jerk it. The long DA pull of the revolver however, tends to force the body-mind to combine these two components into one activity, which is how it should be no matter what you are shooting.

be