Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indy 500 getting rained Out

bountyhunter

I sure would have liked to see the last 40 or so laps of the Indy 500 that got rained out. I have never seen such a crop of evenly matched cars (lead changed umpteen times). danica even had a good shot.

That drag race to the end would have been a real gas to watch.

I love to watch and go to races especially road races. The current racing series here in the US unfortunately is boring, IRL especially, While I do realize that to go fast at Indy takes a special skill, Open wheel cars on ovals just dont cut it. (And I dont even want to start about what a farce Nascar is now). It has got to the point that other than F1, The US Lemans series and the other road racing organizations are all that is left. The technology of F1 is what intrigues me the most and in another 2 or 3 years that sanctioning body(The FIA) is going to nuteur it. All of racing is now so full of politics and BS that it is hard to watch any of the major series and take them as genuine, as they have their golden boys(or girl) and the breaks just seem to majically come their way. I have seen it with nascar and jeff gordon(I neither like or dislike) and last year with danica in irl. The really sad fact is when they go from US racing to international they arent even competitive. But to make open wheel racing in the US interesting if they would come out with a wet tyre for ovals and then see what they could do would be really a sight to watch as the number of drivers that shine in they wet and dry dwindle quickly.

I'm confused. I thought they had rain tires? I didn't see the race because I don't follow indy cars.

Every motorsport I watch races rain or shine (ALMS, Speed GT, 24 hours LeMans, Rolex Sports Cars, Formula 1)

The older I get, the more I have come to understand the mistique of Indy. I couldn't tell you about any of the other IRL races, but the Indy 500 is really something special. There is just something about the track, the wind in turn 1, the crowd, the camping on Georgetown Rd the night before - all of it together makes for some exciting stuff.

I was really pulling for Danica - you don't lead that race, let alone qualify on the 2nd row and not have serious skill and balls the size of cantaloupes.

Now, for all of you road racing fans (I am one) - the US Grand Prix will be on the same track in a couple of weeks. IRL drivers at Indy are more like pilots (M. Schumacher even said when he was racing about the Indy 500 [para] "230 mph 12" from the wall, are you nuts!?!?!?"), F1 drivers are drivers.

I'm confused. I thought they had rain tires? I didn't see the race because I don't follow indy cars.

Every motorsport I watch races rain or shine (ALMS, Speed GT, 24 hours LeMans, Rolex Sports Cars, Formula 1)

No rain tires at Indy. They do in Formula 1 and the LeMans series cars.

The older I get, the more I have come to understand the mystique of Indy. I couldn't tell you about any of the other IRL races, but the Indy 500 is really something special. There is just something about the track, the wind in turn 1, the crowd, the camping on Georgetown Rd the night before - all of it together makes for some exciting stuff.

Something I have been trying to explain to family and friends for years. Although it has lost a little in appeal to people due to the split with CART years ago and some reconfiguration in the infield, it still is the greatest spectacle in racing and to this day it still gives me chills.

You have to admit, Sunday was a really cool day for race fans. Monanco in the morning, Indy at noon, and the Coke 600 at night. The rain changed the schedule some but still a great day.

To the Formula 1 fans, I am sorry but Formula 1 coverage is some of the most boring racing coverage on TV. Maybe its just the annouce team. And the fact that for most of their races there is so little passing that the race is basically 78 really fact parade laps. I love the technology, but they need to put the fight back into that series. And yes, I realize that there is some passing and some races have a lot of passing. Its just a general observation after watching F1 as much as possible for the last couple of years.

Talking about Nascar and its favorite sons, has anyone noticed that since Tony Stewart's rant about debris cautions, everytime one is thrown the coverage team really tries to make sure they find and show the debris?

You have to admit, Sunday was a really cool day for race fans. Monanco in the morning, Indy at noon, and the Coke 600 at night. The rain changed the schedule some but still a great day.

To the Formula 1 fans, I am sorry but Formula 1 coverage is some of the most boring racing coverage on TV. Maybe its just the annouce team.

Or, maybe it's because nobody ever passes anybody and the races are all won and lost in the pit times.

Or, maybe it's because nobody ever passes anybody and the races are all won and lost in the pit times.

You left one part out - the sprint by the front row to the first turn.... ;)

No rain tires at Indy. They do in Formula 1 and the LeMans series cars.

Heck....even MotoGP, AMA Superbike and World Superbike race in the rain with race tires!

But to make open wheel racing in the US interesting if they would come out with a wet tyre for ovals and then see what they could do would be really a sight to watch as the number of drivers that shine in they wet and dry dwindle quickly.

The 200mph left turn marathon is boring enough. To discover that precipitation shuts the whole damn thing down is just disgusting. They've got those teams full of guys who can change all four tires in nano seconds and they can't manage a set of tires with treads. To call this a sport is ludicrous.

-ld

But to make open wheel racing in the US interesting if they would come out with a wet tyre for ovals and then see what they could do would be really a sight to watch as the number of drivers that shine in they wet and dry dwindle quickly.

The 200mph left turn marathon is boring enough. To discover that precipitation shuts the whole damn thing down is just disgusting. They've got those teams full of guys who can change all four tires in nano seconds and they can't manage a set of tires with treads. To call this a sport is ludicrous.

-ld

Do any of those other sports wind up their machines to 230 mph and then throw them into a (relatively) unbanked turn (the straights at Daytona are banked more than the turns at Indy)? I really don't know, but I'd wager that the answer is no.

They would just have to slow down a little in the wet. Why not? Every other racing sport that does it in the rain has to contend with slowing down a little. The Mulsanne straight on the back half of the 24 hours of LeMans has a tight turn at the end, and they get over 200mph on it, plus there are few kinks and high speed turns along the course as well.

Edited by RobMoore