Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scot Grip-like texture...

ken hebert

I'm currently shooting a Para P16 and I'm a big fan of grip tape and/or skateboard tape on my handgun. Use one piece on the front strap and then a fairly precision cut piece that covers everything else from the front edge of one grip around over the mainspring housing to the front edge of the other grip matching all the exposed gripping areas. Works great in all but hot weather, which kinda makes me outta luck. Here in Southeast Texas we have two seasons: Summer and Christmas. My grip tape starts to break loose and slide around after about 2 to 3 matches. The piece on the frontstrap never moves, but the piece arond the grips is what slides around. I'm wanting something more permanent, like a Scot grip on an SV. I've heard talk of shooters glueing fine particles of stuff like aluminum oxide to the grip panels, but I have no idea of where to even start looking for something like that. Or is there something better to use, that's fairly permanent? Or maybe just sand down the checkered surface on the stock panels to give the tape more surface area to bond with...? I've even thought about using an iron to texture the stock plastic grip panels like a Roupe Grip... but was kinda hoping someone had some feedback on that option before I go destroying things.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I use the 3M anti slip 3/4" tape. If I make sure the gun is clean (simple green and water) before I put it on, it stays put. Many boat owners use this in hot/humid/wet conditions. $6.99 for a 25? foot roll that'll I'll probably never use up completely.

...just sand down the checkered surface on the stock panels to give the tape more surface area to bond with...?

That's where you need to start. Or see if you can buy smooth Alumagrips for it.

www.alumagrips.com

If you strike out there, look for a set of smooth, micarta grip panels from Smith & Alexander.

Tru-Grip for the STI will come close to fitting your Para. You just need to modify it a bit. I ran it on my Para for awhile with no problems. There are a couple tricks to making Tru-Grip stick.

0) Unload the blaster.

1) Clean the panels and frame with denatured alcohol where the Tri-Grip will go.

2) Warm the frame and panels until they are very warm to the touch. Not quite to "too hot to hang on to for very long" but you want them good and warm.

3) Warm the Tru-Grip.

4) Place the warm Tru-Grip on the warm gun and really massage it into place. Grip it hard and keep working it for awhile.

When you are finished the grips will not move around nearly so badly. Sanding down the grip will help as it gives you more surface area to bond with but I didn't want to trash my grip panels.

Good luck!

Ken,

I think this is what you're looking for, http://www.jerrybarnhart.com/bpp.htm They're the Burner Grips.

I also shoot a Para P16, and have these grips on my gun. They work great. Have the same texture as skateboard tape, but won't move around or wear out.

I'm also in Texas so I know what you mean about how long tape lasts due to sweat or water.

Dan

Is there some thing smaller available from Brownells other than the 6lb can of aluminum oxide media? :blink:

I'm also gonna try out Hobby Lobby for some texture, just have to go out of town to do it. (thanks hurricane Rita)

In the mean time I'm gonna go ahead with the sanding down of the stock grips to remove the checkering, to give my tape more surface to stick to. Mainly 'cause it's raining and I don't have to go out in this crap to get anythig else...

Edited by ken hebert

Is there some thing smaller available from Brownells other than the 6lb can of aluminum oxide media? :blink:

I'm also gonna try out Hobby Lobby for some texture, just have to go out of town to do it. (thanks hurricane Rita)

In the mean time I'm gonna go ahead with the sanding down of the stock grips to remove the checkering, to give my tape more surface to stick to. Mainly 'cause it's raining and I don't have to go out in this crap to get anythig else...

You can get some from a local sandblast supply company or PM me and I'll send you enough for a grip.

Try your search function, there are several great "how to" posts on it. Basically aluminum oxided coated grip (coarse from Brownells and quickset epoxy.)

Have you ever tried it on a glock?

• 4 weeks later...
A second option is to stipple the stock para panels.

post-7808-1180375739.jpg

Ive done this also; my stippling is a little more aggressive and about the same, grip-wise as grip tape.

Any risk in trashing your grip if you're doing this for the first time? I assumed you used a solder gun and just "poked" at the grip evenly? I'm thinking of doing this on my Edge....just trying to weigh the risks involved :P