Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 aka "can of worms"

KentG

Yes its a can of worms but I was kind of thinking of a new STAINLESS 1911 for a little project involving mounting a doctor or JPoint.

I may be moving to open class in 3gun due to the shotgun but I dont want to go the full blown open pistol route. Id just like to maybe take advantage of a dot on a 1911 SS and still use a kydex holster. And I dont want to butcher my current gun.

Whats the latest opinions on out of the box good ones as in Springers, Smith, Kimber and those in that price range.

I just want one with a decent trigger, and runs. I can have a friend add a magwell if needed and or trigger job.

I dont want to spend more on the gun than I would for the optic and more expensive gun if you know what I mean. How far will 1K get me in this search for an out of the box 1911?

OK can o'worms open.

Edited by tnek

Look at the Sprigfield, I have two that are very reliable out of the box.Several of my shooting buddies use them as well and no problems so far. Mine is cleaned every 600-800 rounds and runs as good dirty as it does clean. In my opinion they are the best 1911 you can buy for the money.

Robin "Opinions are like kittens people give them away" Modest Mouse

Kent with everyone making a 1911 nowdays, I'd think you should go with a manufacter that supports the sport.

STI (I'm just a little biased) I have a Sentenel in 40 S&W :-)

Springfield Armory

SVI (although I haven't seen one for years)

I'm sure there are others, but those are the usual suspects.

Since you want to add a Dr sight then the OEM sights won't matter a bit. Just get a base gun and add to it as you need.

I assume you are talking about a .45? Why not go with a hicap stainless Para, then you can have bigger mags, the slide mounted dot, and if you wanted, you could even add a short comp or a hybrid barrel and still use Kydex.

Or as long as you are shooting in Open, why not get one in 9mm, increase your mag capacity to 22+ with 140mm mags, and maybe a short comp, would be almost like shooting a .22 at minor PF. Or you could go 9Major, but I'd want a good comp and a well fit barrel for sure.

Edited by sfinney

Look at the Sprigfield, I have two that are very reliable out of the box.Several of my shooting buddies use them as well and no problems so far. Mine is cleaned every 600-800 rounds and runs as good dirty as it does clean. In my opinion they are the best 1911 you can buy for the money.

+1.Welcome to the forum Mr. McKinney :D

I assume you are talking about a .45? Why not go with a hicap stainless Para, then you can have bigger mags, the slide mounted dot, and if you wanted, you could even add a short comp or a hybrid barrel and still use Kydex.

Or as long as you are shooting in Open, why not get one in 9mm, increase your mag capacity to 22+ with 140mm mags, and maybe a short comp, would be almost like shooting a .22 at minor PF. Or you could go 9Major, but I'd want a good comp and a well fit barrel for sure.

I dont care for a wide body gun and Im a SS guy. This is about the fun factor in local matches and I already have 10 round SS mags and I dont want to have to buy mags, and the other hassles and ammo just for this.

I think I am going to look at theSpringers,,

I believe you should rethink the single stack open gun idea.

Trust me it wouldnt matter if I had the hottest gun out there instead :wacko: Like I said this is about having fun and shooting what I like, not whats going to get me to the top of the score sheets.

The STI Trojan is an excellent gun in the price range you mentioned. The SV is the Rolls Royce of the bunch with a price tag around 2600.00

The STI is interesting but I want a stainless gun.

The STI is interesting but I want a stainless gun.

According to STI's website, there is an stainless Trojan (Trojan SS). Or, you can get hard chrome as an option on the regular Trojan 5.0.

Interesting. Add a Doctor (mount??), a magwell and maybe some monkeygrips and that actually looks like what I had in mind. Nothing extravagent but well made and decently priced. I wonder if I could get Brazos to do the work since they sell them.

;)

I think Nemo has the quick fix solution. I think, however, a dot on a 45 will be harder to shoot than pure regular sights....just going to be so much movement. There is a very nice 40 cal open glock on the classifieds right now....S&J does nice work and I m sure the trigger is very good. With a dot flat shooting is important...to keep it where you can use it. Otherwise a used open gun may be your best bet. As for holsters...there are some good choices that lock very securely....even some kydex ones can be modified.

It sounds to me like you have allready answered your own questions as to what you want. I know some people like certain things like a SS gun because it's kinda classic, but why handicap and limit yourself right off the bat? +1 for the Para! It is less expensive than the STI (I didn't say better) It is about in the price range that you listed. Don't want to spend more on mags? Look at the Glock 34 or 35. You will get the increased mag capacity, load 9mm minor or 40, maj or minor, and use the money you save to buy a couple mags and a blade tech or uncle mikes holster, and you will still be out way under the grand you mentioned. You said you just want to do it to have fun, and that lasts about as long as the first match when you figure out that you would have placed 10 spots higher if you didn't have to do those 10 extra mag changes. Trust me on this, I have a Colt CE that has all the bolt on goodies, and now all it does is gather dust and look pretty!! Don't shoot yourself in the foot before you even start. This is just how I feel but I'm not opinionated about it at all! :D

I dont care for a wide body gun and Im a SS guy. This is about the fun factor in local matches and I already have 10 round SS mags and I dont want to have to buy mags, and the other hassles and ammo just for this.

+1

Also take a look at Kimber. Great fit and quality. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a $1700 (or more) gun to compete or have fun.

For what it's worth, with the current congress and a new president in 2008, Open 10 may be coming sooner than everyone thinks.

+1

Also take a look at Kimber. Great fit and quality. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a $1700 (or more) gun to compete or have fun.

For what it's worth, with the current congress and a new president in 2008, Open 10 may be coming sooner than everyone thinks.

Actually after some inital investigation and trading email with Jake Im looking REAL hard at a Dan Wesson Pointman 7

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=65

with a S&A or a Wilson Speedchute toped of with a Burris Fastfire.

Just kicking it around,, got to get the Saiga up and going first or there is no need to think open pistol for 3 gun.

My biggest head scratcher now is what to use for mag carriers for the shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

+1.Welcome to the forum Mr. McKinney :D

et45

I saw one of your posts mentioning David Manning and wondered if you were someone I know.

Robin aka Mr. McKinney