Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 sw single stack??

fishnfst

I know that springfield, kimber and sti all make .40 cal single stacks.  I was thinking about building one off of one of my 1911 ss frame.  I know that no one makes 10rnd .40 mags at this time but I've been told that other mags slightly modified would work.  Would this be a good choice for lim-10?  If I was going to build it should I go ramped or non ramped, bushing or bull barrel?  Or should I just shoot my good old .45.  All of the .40 limited guns I have shot seemed so much flatter and faster on the follow up shop than my .45.   Is this a fair assumption?  I think Brian commented on this awhile back and said that it was more difficult to get .40 sw to work in a single stack than in a widebody.  Should I do it or should I save my money and spend it on ammo to practice with my .45.  

ps. I live in California and am quite limited on my choices of guns as of dec 20 when sti stopped selling their guns in CALI...

Do they even make a nonramped barrel for 40 anymore? I think they may have gone the way of the nonramped 38 super barrel, the manufacturers finally figured out that the casings on both of these calibers need more support do to the higher pressures developed. If you do find a nonramped and decide to go with it, do not use Glock fired brass.

The nice thing about a widebody frame is that the reloads are easier. So I would, and do, shoot a widebody frame for all competition events. I also live in CA and it has taken me awhile to "collect" the various STI frames but you can occasionally find a indivdual selling one. Ask around at matches or check with the gunsmiths that build IPSC pistols.

Good Luck

fshnfst:  I am also in Kali.  I built up a .40 single stack on my 9mm Trojan frame.  As long as the frame is kali legal, you can build any top end you want on it.

BTW:  there are other threads here about which 10-rd .45 mags will feed .40 without mods.  Don't let anybody tell you it's illegal to shove the .40 ammo into the .45 mag, even if it holds 11 or 12 rounds.  The Feds can only bust you if you modify a mag in some way to feed a new caliber such that it no longer functions as originally designed.  Got it straight fom the BATF.

Not really. In both cases we're going to be loading ammo to 165-plus power factor. In IDPA you can load a .40 down consideraby lower than a .45 (125,000 power floor in ESP (single action autos in caliber other than .45 ACP) but 165,000 in CDP (where the .45s live). In USPSA you can't "load light .45 rounds down to the level of a .40" because the power factor to make Major is the same with both rounds.

Yeah...for all the trouble, you might just keep on shooting your 45.

I don't think the 45 shoots any slower or softer than the 40.  

The advantage of the 40 is mag capacity...which only matters in Limited guns with double-stack capability.

I wouldn't build a single-stack 40 for USPSA.

(Though it might be fun to have one.)

Hello Flex yes I do reload.  I had been shooting the montana gold 200 grn fp right around 850fps.  I did some experimentation with 185 and 230 grn bullets and I think I am going to go back to a 230fmj @ 750.  I just ordered 4000 bullets so I think I am going to keep on shooting my .45.  I have a glock 35 that I have been shooting limited with and I think I am putting it away for now and going to my 1911.

fishnfst,

You should be set with your single-stack 45 and the Glock in 40.  I feared you might be buying factor 45 ammo...THAT could get expensive.  No worries if you are reloading though.

----------

TDean,

There isn't many of those Single Stack Society matches around is there?  I am kinda suprised they let the 40 get the extra round in those matches.  That is certainly the gamer way to go (that is what I'd want to shoot, anyway).

The Single Stack Society  match is supposed to have stages set up where the extra round a 40 has is not an advantage but the last couple have seemed to forgoten that.  That and the welfare prize table is enought to keep me away. It's too bad the first ones where great matches.

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion the .40's advantage in "shootability" over the .45 exists mostly in the minds of .40 shooters. The .40's advantage is higher capacity in a double-stack Limited magazine. And I am ready to make Master....but I'll do it with my .45.

I made Master with a 20 year old Colt Gold Cup in 45acp. My current IPSC gun is a SVI in 45acp. You couldn't GIVE me a 40. I'm a stupid big bullet fan. Good Luck to you Mr.Thomas. It's a great feeling making  "M" with your favorite blaster.