Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 32 For Ccw?

LakeshoreShooter

I am considering another purchase for concealed carry. I have an array of handguns that I carry already from a .45 commander to a compact 9mm. with a snubby revolver in there and a few .40S&W's as well. So, why do I need another carry gun? Because Thomas Jefferson said so!!! OK. my real question is for anyone carrying or have shot a model 32 in .357sig. I think the caliber is a bit still underrated as it doesn't seem to have a big following yet. I know it's popular. My research shows it should be a killer(litteraly). But is the Corbon 1425fps JHP manegable in the 32? I have shot a model 31 with a couple magazines of Lawman ammo from speer, and a few mags of FMJ something-or-other in the 31. But the 32 seems a better(smaller) package for CCW. Any help on the 32????

Thanks

On paper, there are differences. I don't believe that those differences translate into a hill of beans in the real world. That goes for 9mm, .357 SIG, .45, or .40. In this application with good quality defensive ammo, they are interchangeable. A good hit with any of them may save you and a bad hit (or miss) with any of them probably will not.

Regarding the .357 SIG specifically--I've heard that it is an accurate round in GLOCK pistols. My doubts about it stem from a few sources; with this round you get the lower capacity of a .40 with the smaller bullet diameter of a 9mm. I'm okay with a 9mm as a defensive pistol (see above), but if you're going to shoot a 9mm, shoot a 9mm. Take the two extra rounds. Your practice costs will be quite a bit lower too.

Secondly The 9mm is a known penetrator. A hot load may hit at 1100FPS and exit at 300 FPS. The .357 will hit at 1400 FPS and exit at 600 FPS. Only so much energy gets transferred to the target and the rest is wasted. You will not benefit from the extra speed until you start hitting 2000 FPS+ (edging into hydrostatic shock level speeds).

I vote that you buy what you like and shoot what you shoot well. The above 'negatives' are irrelevant if those conditions are met. I do believe it's a viable defensive round, neither superior nor inferior to the others mentioned.

G'luck!

HK Dan

Edited by HK Dan

I fired one a few weeks ago. A buddy said it didn't shoot straight, but it was the indian, not the arrow. It recoiled about like a .40. Ammo is expensive for it and I steer people away for that reason alone. I've always thought of the .357 Sig as a solution in search of a problem. Hot 9mm or .40 is good 'nuff.

Edited by AustinMike

Some good info so far, but it's skirting very close to the edge of Brian's guidelines. Let's try to keep the discussion more focused on the gear and less about it's effectiveness on people. ;)

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

====================================

"Posting Guidelines

Intent

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. "

I have only shot a G31...and just a time or two at that. With factory ammo, it seemed to me to have quite a bit more snap than the Major 40 that I was used to shooting at the time.

I'd probably get a G23 to run with 40, then play around with a replacement barrel in 357 (I just sold one of those barrel, oddly enough.)

Even the G23 with factory 40 is a bit more to handle, it seems.

With factory ammo, it seemed to me to have quite a bit more snap than the Major 40 that I was used to shooting at the time.

I'd probably get a G23 to run with 40, then play around with a replacement barrel in 357 (I just sold one of those barrel, oddly enough.)

When I shot my buddy's G32, it was with S&B ammo. I was a little surprised that it didn't kick back all that much, but then again, I shoot my G23 with full power defense loads alright. Certainly not something I want to spend the whole afternoon doing out of these compact guns though!

My buddy really wants to get a .40 barrel for his G32 since I told him that will work. He had some regrets about his purchase over the cost of feeding the G32 for practice. That's why I always tell new gun buyers to look at the price of ammo and magazines before making their purchase. ;)

I have only shot a G31...and just a time or two at that. With factory ammo, it seemed to me to have quite a bit more snap than the Major 40 that I was used to shooting at the time.

Even the G23 with factory 40 is a bit more to handle, it seems.

I've shot a 32. Recoil wise its comparable to a very hot devensive round in 40.

Flex's advice is good, but backwards. I'd recommend that you get a 32 and buy an aftermarket 40 barrel rather than buy a 23 and get an aftermarket 357 barrel. Reason being the glock 40 barrels have notoriously poor case support, the 40 aftermarket barrels are much better. The stock glock sig barrels are comparatively better. This way, you can shoot a stock, fully reliable, when you're carrying in defensive mode, but when you're practicing or competing using inexpensive ammo, reloads, commercial reloads, you can shoot the cheeper 40 ammo with greater safety margins and more readily reloadable brass.

Also, WRT the the suitability of the 357 as a defensive chambering, the only thing I've heard thats notable and usual about it was from a class I took with John Farnam. He'd said he'd heard some reports from LEO's that have shot them in public that when they fired a round uninvolved people tended to get down and move away from the scene rather the look around and move toward the sound to investigate. His supposition was that the report of the Sig left people with no doubt in their mind that shooting was going on where as more mild (lower pressure, milder tone) cartridges left people asking "was that a shot", "what's going on" etc. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but interesting none the less and potentially "a good thing".

I used to use a G32 for CCW, IDPA, and USPSA.

I eventually went up to the G31, because the 32 is just a bit too hard to control the muzzle flip on. The 31 gives me more surface for the grip, and its only a little bit bigger to hide under clothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have and like my G32. It is the perfect size for a CCW (in my opinion) and I think it flips less than a 40. I feel/see two different types of recoil. Flip and push. The flip is the muzzle rising and the push (felt recoil) is the recoil back in the hand.

I definitely feel more flip out of a 40 than a .357, but the .357 pushes more straight back into the hand, but doesnt flip like a 40. I personally like the recoil of a .357, its like a 38 super, straight back in the hand (felt recoil) I dont mind. I think it is easier to track the sights shooting the G32 in .357, less flip.

You definitely know you're not shooting a 9.

• 5 weeks later...
I have and like my G32. It is the perfect size for a CCW (in my opinion) and I think it flips less than a 40. I feel/see two different types of recoil. Flip and push. The flip is the muzzle rising and the push (felt recoil) is the recoil back in the hand.

I definitely feel more flip out of a 40 than a .357, but the .357 pushes more straight back into the hand, but doesnt flip like a 40. I personally like the recoil of a .357, its like a 38 super, straight back in the hand (felt recoil) I dont mind. I think it is easier to track the sights shooting the G32 in .357, less flip.

You definitely know you're not shooting a 9.

.... B) ..

..Howdy all.... New guy here, first post..

I have a G32 and have a G23 barrel for it also, Kevin Kline is right on with his assessment on recoil between the 40 and 357......Also have a G27 and a G33 barrel for it. "And yes they pack a good bark". I pack the sub-compact, "Easier for me to conceal" If I was a larger person I would pack the G32. There's just something special about the 357sig.. :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I carry a G23 and also have an aftermarket .357 barrel for it. I like the .40 only 'cause it is slightly cheaper to shoot. To me there isn't really too much difference in felt recoil. A hole lot more noise comes out of the .357. And there seems to be a lack of variety in available defense loads. But as with any ccw gun practice practice practice and you'll be just fine.

I too have felt the .357 Sig was a solution looking for a problem. I have carried a G23 for years, wife does too. The problem some folks have with the .40 is they pick the wrong round. A 135-155 gr defensive load is pretty harsh. I carry the 180 gr Ranger Talon. It is a very soft shooting load.

I have never felt the fast light bullet was the way to go in any caliber. I like the 147 gr Ranger in 9mm. Their 127 gr +P+ is a hand full.