Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more & Rainx ?

AlamoShooter

<_< I was wipeing my new C-More lenz off for the fith time in practice. = It has a smoke haze on it from the blast even with a blast shield.

SO my brain starts to ask me why not put RainX on it first to make it wipe off better.

The stuff works great on my truck windows, but my C-More is not getting Bugs on it just smoke.

What is the "glass" in a C-More? Is it glass? Is/are there any coatings on it? I ask because I've been in the optical industry (read... I make eyeglass lenses for a living) for a while and some coatings and types of material are VERY chemical sensitive. I'd contact the manufacture and ask them.

We were told they recommended to NOT use Rain-X, FWIW.

It probably is fine, and lots of folks do it all the time, so probably no harm/no foul, but that was the company word. YMMV.

-Mike

I do not think there is anything in RAIN-X to hurt the lens coating.

It comes in a plastic bottle.

FM

You can keep acetone in a plastic bottle too.... Just don't get it on Lexan (plastic). I'm not trying to be a smart-azz here, just don't want to see someone destroy a fairly expensive piece of optical equipment. Trust me..... You can take the coatings off lenses with things like Windex before you know what happened. I've actually had people bring things like microscope lenses in to see if we could send them out to stripped and recoated because they've used Windex, 409, etc to clean them and ruined them. :( Multi-layer coatings on rifle scope lenses are another lens you want to keep those types of cleaner away from. The anti-reflective coatings on them (to eliminate internal light reflection) are quite fragile. You don't ever want to to wipe them with a paper towel, tissue, TP... Stick to 100% cotton (clean) cloth and a pH neutral cleaner. They'll last much longer.

yep thats why I am asking, I think it is coated plastic,? The problem is when it gets hazed over I end up rubbing it off with my shirt. Can't be good for it. The coating still looks ok,

I will try to be smart and send C-More an Email and wait for a reply.

Stick to 100% cotton (clean) cloth and a pH neutral cleaner. They'll last much longer.

I'm fairly new user of a C-More. I use either a cotton cloth with lens cleaner from Eyemasters or the premoistened lens cleaners individually packaged for cleaning eyeglasses.

Is this safe for the lens?

Bill

Rain X is an acid base, it will hurt the coating on good lenses. Pour a little Rain X on a shop rag, it will instantly turn the rag purple, so will battery acid. Like battery acid on your C-More?

Stick to 100% cotton (clean) cloth and a pH neutral cleaner. They'll last much longer.

I'm fairly new user of a C-More. I use either a cotton cloth with lens cleaner from Eyemasters or the premoistened lens cleaners individually packaged for cleaning eyeglasses.

Is this safe for the lens?

Bill

That should be just fine. Most, if not all eyeglass cleaners are formulated not to attack the coatings on lenses and I only know of one line from one manufacturer that isn't coated. Zeiss lens cleaners and cloths and LensCrafter's cleaner and cloths are my favorites.

Edited by SLM

Rain X is an acid base, it will hurt the coating on good lenses. Pour a little Rain X on a shop rag, it will instantly turn the rag purple, so will battery acid. Like battery acid on your C-More?

Is this the blue disposable shop rags from Sam's Club? I didn't know that it was also litmus paper. <_<:)

The pH of Rain-X is 7, so in solution it is neutral.

The chemical components of Rain-X is:

50-90% Water

20-35% Methanol

<1% Benzenemethanaminium, N-[2-[(2,6-Dimethyphenyl)Amino]-2-Oxoethyl]-N,N-Diethyl-, Benzoate

The last component is also utilized in items such as Monkey Grip and certain deer repellants. It gives Rain-X it's unique smell. (It is on the EPA's list of inert fragrances for use in pesticides.)

FWIW, I've been using Rain-X for 16 years on my C-Mores and Aimpoints. It's easier to clean the haze off the lenses with Rain-X than waiting and using Hoppe's.

Kenny

One of my trades is photographer... I would never use anything other than an optical wipe for any of my camera gear, nor would I put any other type stuff on it. I carry these for cleaning. The have single packets in the box, so you can just throw some in you back pocket and rip them open when you need them. The trick is to wipe both sides when it's really wet, they dry fast, then come back in 30 secs or so and wipe the lens again. This removed streaks and smudges.

http://www.photodon.com/store/merchant.mvc...roduct_Code=330

Edited by JThompson

:) The nice lady at C-More responded this AM, I don't have her permision to use her name yet, but she said -They were just talking about RainX at C-More and they do not not know for shurr yet but will get back to me/us. She said - use Hoppies and a Qtip, and thin clean that off with Windex. = So Windex is not bad for it like regulare camera lenzes

Any way they will get back to us and I will post what she finds out.

Any yes the Leupold lenz pen is grate - I am just concerned about embeding grit into the felt tip off the lenz and having it dry on the felt tip of the lenz pen. I washed my lenz pen tip last night and it was nasty.

JF

FWIW, the cool magic red stuff in a C-more is sandwiched between two pieces of glass. This may not be true for other reflex-type scopes. There may also be other coatings, though if it can take Hoppes, it should be able to take about anything.

FWIW, the cool magic red stuff in a C-more is sandwiched between two pieces of glass. This may not be true for other reflex-type scopes. There may also be other coatings, though if it can take Hoppes, it should be able to take about anything.

Thanks Roy; that is exactly what I was trying to illustrate! :D

FM

OK this is what C-More says... in the return Email= The nice girl tells me she talked to Todd Jarret. <_< and Windex is what is recomended to keep the lenz clean. She says Hoppe's if it is real dirty and clean that off with Windex

They don't know what Rain X will do :unsure:

So some of our Forum guys use RainX with good results = some use Windex

• 3 weeks later...

I find the cloth rag/pouch used for my Oakley M-Frame sunglasses works very well. I ordered several and keep one with each of my Oakley/RayBan/Gargoyle sunglasses and prescription shooting glasses, as well as one for my C-More. Just wash it occasionally.

Craig

Edited by spd522