Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Rail On Long Wide?

rtr

My limited gun has a STI long wide frame. Is it possible to get a light rail (to attach a surefire x200 type light) machined into the end of the frame? If so who does that sort of thing and what do they charge, how much weight would it remove from the frame?

yes, you can, any gunsmith with the time and ingenuity can do it, I think Dawson used to list it as a machine shop service.

My understanding was that all STI Tacticals started life as Edge's and were cut into shape. Like the old statue joke, the start with an Edge and take away everything that doesn't look like a Tactical.

No here's the funny part. You can get a custom Ser # Edge, but not a Tactical. Yes, we have grilled cheese, yes we have Hamburger. No, we do not have and won't make Cheese-burger. Yeah, uh that makes sense. :rolleyes:

the main issue will be how thick is the bottom of the dustcover..

in addition to the side rails being milled....an area needs to be milled across the bottom..and if too thin..you will in the recoil spring area..

it may depend on what light you want to attach..

I have an STI Tactical with the surfire x200b light attached. I use it for police work. It makes it front heavy and would not be good for competition. You should just buy a new gun. Sell your edge and buy a Tactical. If you do get the Tactical, you need to sand or stone the front checkering found on the triggerguard to allow the light to snap into the rail, unless you use the farther out position, but then it doesn't look good and may be too far for your thumb or finger to hit the button.

If you want the light to do building searches and possibly point the gun at a person, I would be careful of your trigger pull on your current gun. It is cool to have a light trigger when you are at the range, but if you have to point it at someone, you don't want the gun to go off until you want it to, especially with gloves on.

Redwoods

Don Golembieski at Kodiak Precision quoted me a price of $250. http://www.kodiakprecision.com/index.htm

That's kinda high.

I think the other big name hicap company will do it on their guns for a fraction of that cost..

I'm not sure I understand your statement :blink: ....both STI and SVI have frames with a rail system already cut into the frame for considerably less. The STI Tactical and I dont know what SVI calls theirs.

This was a quote to take a gun (STI Edge) that didnt come from the manufacturer with the rail, and mill the rail into the frame and refinish it. Different thing altogether...More than one smith on this board said they werent sure they could do it and would not even provide a quote.

I agree it is not the desired solution for the cost, and I decided I really didnt need it. :)

Edited by CDRODA396

I have an STI that has the rails machined into the dust cover. It looks like it should be a very simple job for a machinist. The locking notch needs to be cut for the model light you want to use. The X200 and the Streamlight use the same dimensions. The expensive Surefire lights like the milspec use a slightly different location. If I wanted to get it done I would find a local machine shop and show them the light and the frame.

I dont think there is enough meat on the bottom of the dustcover where they machine the radius. Give EGW a call and ask George if it can be done.

A special ground form tool/milling bit would be needed/preferred to cut the rail.

What Redwoods said. Paper targets and people are 2 very different things.

If I ever was as jacked up at a match as the times i pointed a loaded gun in the direction of up-to-no-good people [once in the Panama Canal - once on my front porch] there's no telling when or where my shaking hands would set off a 2lb match trigger.

Take your worst match nerves, multiply by 10 - or 100 - and consider a heavier trigger.

"This was a quote to take a gun (STI Edge) that didnt come from the manufacturer with the rail, and mill the rail into the frame and refinish it. Different thing altogether...More than one smith on this board said they werent sure they could do it and would not even provide a quote."

I inquired about recutting/refinishing a frame on a completed gun that had no rail initially by returning it for the work and my reply was much less than the quote here...

I inquired about recutting/refinishing a frame on a completed gun that had no rail initially by returning it for the work and my reply was much less than the quote here...

I did not mean to sound like I was questioning your statement, I just didnt/dont understand who you were infering that you inquired with?

I would assume both ST- and SVI could do it cheaper since they are already set up to do it. Any chance you could share the amount and identity and estimated turn around time of who you called? :)

Edited by CDRODA396