Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fn Fal

Flexmoney

I have an FN FAL that, I believe, might have been screwed up a bit when it was put together. My thoughts are that the muzzle break was brazed/welded on poorly enough that it changed the bore. The gun hits...real low. (feet at 50y kinda low) Could be a rear sight mounting issue too, I guess. I've heard issues with those too.

No marking on the ID of the break to show that bullets could be deflecting off of it.

My thought is to cut the barrel back and re-crown it. I am comfortable with that. But, doing so likely takes me below 16 inches. I believe I need to stay over 16in to be legal, right ?

If I out a comp/break back on it to get to 16in, does it need to be permanently attached?

Yes.

You need to stay over 16", unless you're willing to go the SBR route.

Yes.

I had a 14.5" M4(AR15) barrel with a permently attached phantom that made it just over the legal 16".

Edited by Derek45

A couple of comments:

1) If your FAL has a short barrel (like around 16") then it is normal for it to be shooting low. I have a factory DSA carbine (~14" barrel + 2" muzzle brake = 16"), and the factory put a very short stubby front sight on it to get it to zero. If you can get away with just shortening the front sight, and the gun otherwise shoots OK, this may be all that is needed.

2) If you do have to shorten the barrel, be aware that the gun may become less reliable due to the shorter dwell time. I am assuming you have the standard length gas system, which means a ~16" barrel does not stick out much beyond the end of the gas block. Again, my DSA carbine is a great gun, but can start to FTEj if I get it really hot... if I were to bet my life or a serious competition outcome on it, I would put an 18" barrel on it to increase the reliability.

3) Its legal to shorten the barrel below 16", then permanently attach a muzzle device (brake or FH) to get back above 16". Its not necessary to weld all the way around - just thread the barrel, screw on the device, blind pin and weld over the pin.

HTH.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Flex

Get rid of it and get a M1A. 3 different barrel lengths offered from the factory!!!! ;)

M1A---NM/SM (std length)

Scout/Squad (My prefference) 18"

SOCOM (haven't gotten to play with one of these much) 16"

And now several comp/breaks to choose from too!!!!! :)

Your buddy HOP :)

+1 to just cutting the FS down. Try it for groups and if it's holding anywhere around 2 MOA from a rest, just fix it by cutting down the FS and you are good to go with a fairly reliable, genuwine rattle battle rifle ;-)

Of course, the M1A is a more civil beastie in the long run, but you already have the FN. Besides, an FAL has a whole lotta' cool factor. A local competitor shoots one sometimes at our rifle matches and it always gets more ogling in the racks than the JP's sittin' right next to it!

I have an FN FAL that, I believe, might have been screwed up a bit when it was put together. My thoughts are that the muzzle break was brazed/welded on poorly enough that it changed the bore. The gun hits...real low. (feet at 50y kinda low) Could be a rear sight mounting issue too, I guess. I've heard issues with those too.

No marking on the ID of the break to show that bullets could be deflecting off of it.

My thought is to cut the barrel back and re-crown it. I am comfortable with that. But, doing so likely takes me below 16 inches. I believe I need to stay over 16in to be legal, right ?

If I out a comp/break back on it to get to 16in, does it need to be permanently attached?

Yes, must stay above 16" barrel or 16" after pemanetly fixed barrel attachment.

You may try cutting and threading at 18" I had to lower my front sight about 1/16".

You need to make sure the front and rear sights are a matched set. FAL's do have different combinations.

I have also had to "slightly" enlarge gas hole for reliable opeation and to put gas adjustment back in range.

Be forwarned 16" and shorter FAL's and M1's have brutal muzzle blast and flash.

When I shot this gun...with some of whatever is currently on the surplus 308 market (south African maybe? 150g, stripper clips in bandoleers) I dialed in the gas ports to a mid-range setting...not knowing what it "should" be set at. I was surprised at how nice it felt.

Anyway...it is was going on the 'for sale" pile, but I wanted to check it out before I sold it.

How easy are they to re-barrel ?

I'll look into the front sight route first. It would be nice if that was all it turned out to be.

Kyle;

FAL front sight pins come in 4 or 5 different heights, the shortest one being a o.

They are marked, if yours is a tall one you can get short ones from www.dsarms.com .

there is also an Israeli rear sight that is taller than the stg sight. Zillions of options on FALs

Wouldn't reccomend shortening the barrel shorter than 18" does cause some gas system problems that aren't easy to fix.

Dave Schattel

Kyle,

I could understand re-crowning if the gun was shooting 8" at 100. Otherwise, I don't think it will help. I've got *some* wheel time behind a DSA shorty. The best that particular rifle would do was about 2 to 3 MOA, even with my 1/2 MOA 308 rounds.

Also, I understand because of the way the top round of the mag impinges on the bolt, vertical stringing is the norm as you run through a mag in an FAL.

Just in case you're trying to fix something that may be an FAL "feature"...

Thanks guys. I've all talked me into parking the sawzall...for now. :)

When I get a chance to play with it again, I'll see about getting a huge piece of cardboard and try to get a group out of the dirt at 25y or so.

Thanks guys. I've all talked me into parking the sawzall...for now. :)

When I get a chance to play with it again, I'll see about getting a huge piece of cardboard and try to get a group out of the dirt at 25y or so.

If it is not to late and you have not cut the barrel for a brake get a hold of Benny I am almost positive that he has one or two of his brakes cut for an FN FAL pattern. The ones he made for me are loud but that gun does not move :D:D

• 1 month later...

I used to run a 16 on my FAL with a fake combo device to be compliant with the "ban". After eleventy bazillon rounds, I noticed minor pitting and replaced the barrel. I found an unissued Steyr hammer forged barrel and had it trimmed to 18 and a real combo device threaded on. Shoots like a dream. I'd recommend Derek at www.azexarms.com for the work.

Tom