Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI MAGS How do I get in 20?

jersey boy

I was told there is a way to setup an STI mag to get in 20 rds. You know the right spring, follower ,base pad and still keep it under 140mm. for limited class thanks guys     And always remember the secret to USPSA   You ready  read carefully dont forget      GO FAST SHOOT A,S

No matter what combination of basepand and follower you use, being able to reload the mag with 20 rnds in it is almost next to impossible without a tuned mag tube. I have some Grams base pads springs and followers and am able to get 20 rnds into it but I can't hit the reload. There just isnt enough give to fully reach the mag catch. I know if pay the money to have my tubes tuned it would be no problem. But they work perfect the way they are and rarely encounter an situation where that 1 extra round is necessary.  Grams and Dawson, among many others, offer tube tuning services.  

LOL , my point was he won the whole match shooting with 10 round mags, beating the open boys with their 29 round mags. My point was proper planning and execution negates the percieved need for 1 more round. He who shoots a gun empty (or near) may win a stage, but it may also cost him a match.

I also always carry 4 spare mags, just in case, I never blew a stage by carrying to much ammo, but I have by not carrying enough (or having them fall out of my pouches.)

Point taken.  Of course we don't all shoot like TT so extra rounds are a bonus and IF you can get them without creating a possible malf then all the better.  Hey, I've got the aforementioned 29 rounder and I am sure TT would stomp me even if he was shooting a single stack .45 but I still like my jumbo mag.

-ld

You don't need no-stinking 20rds in the reloaded mag do you?  :)

20+1 to start, then reload a 19rd mag in there somewhere provides an ample 40rds per stage.

If you can tune them to work (seat easily) with 20rds 100% of the time... great!  But there are very few stages where you'll be *saved* by having 20rds in your reloaded mag.  (like TheOtherErik said).

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: from TheOtherErik on 11:20 pm on Jan. 8, 2003

id like measure your para mag....i havent heard of or seen a para mag get 21 in it with the correct length base pad. we are talking .40 s&W

I have had it measured by John Amidon at Nationls at my request. Its leagal! Yes it's .40.  

(Edited by Tony Chiavacci at 11:38 pm on Jan. 8, 2003)

(Edited by Tony Chiavacci at 12:27 am on Jan. 9, 2003)

Why does Todd J. carry a single 40sw para mag that can hold 22?  Because every once in a long while there is a stage where he might need it and at his level, every little edge counts.

If you shoot an STI/SVI and do not have a reloadable magazine that holds 20 rounds, you are cheating yourself.  The same hold true for a PARA, but the number should be at least 21 rounds.

Example: The last year the A8 match was in erie, there was a stage which required the shooter to carry something (I think it was a duffle bag) for the last 20 rounds.  If you only had a 19 round mag for the reload, then you were relegated to running the gun dry.  The extra round from my 20 round mag made a big difference when I made up a missed shot!!

I started this topic and never thought it would get all this attention but its great to see all you guys enjoying it. I have a para 1640 now and yes you can setup for 21+1 rds. Easy to do grams or dawson base pads with wolf springs give you the room you need for the extra rd. Moving up to an sti or sv (at tax time) just looking to have the same setup I do now.I dont ever load 21 in my reload mag. But 22 to start does help a lot.