Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoilmaster

ATMester

I wanted to post this a while ago.

I bought a heavy RecoilMaster and I use it with a 19 lbs mainspring.

171 PF loads. 1911 .45 cal

I ran thru 2700 rounds in a little over a month. I like it and I think I stick to it!

I have read that problems happened, they used to brake. Then I read that STI supposedly fixed the problem they are fine now.

Anyways I haven't really seen any recent post on this subject - everybody gave up on them or they run flawlessly now?

Let me hear your opinions, experiences Guys.

I would appreciate if Guys could chime in with a similar set up to mine. (.45 1911)

Edited by TheHun

I run recoilmasters in four different pistols. I like them alot, I broke one early on, but no problem since. I do check them often, for looseness at the point where are held together. (threaded & peened point).

People do seem to love them or hate them! with nothing in between

Edited by 9x21

I have had one in my Kimber 45 which runs everything from light bullseye loads to very stout pin load ans have not had any problems. I agree that whatever problem they had in the beginning seems to have been worked out.

Adam

Spoke too soon.

It lasted about 2550 rounds....then it broke.

Full length guide rod with a shock buff is back, and I don't even have the intention to put a new RecoilMaster back.

My bad about the round count above. (^2550 rnds is the correct number)

Edited by TheHun

If you own one, you better own two.

I was thinking about this....but mine broke during a stage....

I don't really like the idea of being out, because of equipment failure.

Do you use the new version or the old? the new has the cylinder body near the head reinforced and thicker than the old and i dont have reports it breaks...

However if you wanna be sure think to a traditional guideroad.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've only had one break, and I bought it a the 2002 Open Nationals so if was first generation design. It didn't break where it's peened though.

It broke on the ledge where the main recoil spring sits, show in highlighted area. I finished the stage (at the Texas Open in Waco) as a manual action closing the slide. After the stage was over, I went to the vendor area and bought a new one. Later I switched by to my delrin guide rod because I couldn't keep the RM from rubbing on the barrel.

recoil_master.jpg

I've been running one in my Brazos Pro Sx for several years. It's a 4.15 with a 7# variable commander spring for IPSC loads and a 8# for the U.S.

Kenny

Edited by MasterLefty

I've only had one break, and I bought it a the 2002 Open Nationals so if was first generation design. It didn't break where it's peened though.

It broke on the ledge where the main recoil spring sits, show in highlighted area. I finished the stage (at the Texas Open in Waco) as a manual action closing the slide. After the stage was over, I went to the vendor area and bought a new one. Later I switched by to my delrin guide rod because I couldn't keep the RM from rubbing on the barrel.

recoil_master.jpg

I've been running one in my Brazos Pro Sx for several years. It's a 4.15 with a 7# variable commander spring for IPSC loads and a 8# for the U.S.

Kenny

Mine broke at the same place.

The two STI's that I just sold both have RecoilMasters in them. One must have about 3k rounds and the other one 1500 and thy are still going strong. I like them but also I always carried an extra guide rod, spring and plug combination in my range bag.

YMMV

recoil_master.jpg

Kenny

Mine broke at the same place.

Broke 2 in the same place, in 2 different guns. 1 old model, 1 "new" model. Both in matches. STI replaced them, no charge. I then sold them. ;)

• 3 months later...

I just broke mine the other day during practice. I took it off the prize table at L10 nationals. It broke in the same place as the other ones. about 750 rounds through it. I like shooting with it, but if you can't trust it.... I'll try it again if STI replaces it, but if it break I'll be posting on the classifieds.

I have a light RM in my 9mm Edge and I do like them, but I think I need to have a separate guiderod, in case it breaks.

But if I get an extended guide rod, will it fit to the original reserve plug, or do I need to get something else?

I have a light RM in my 9mm Edge and I do like them, but I think I need to have a separate guiderod, in case it breaks.

But if I get an extended guide rod, will it fit to the original reserve plug, or do I need to get something else?

You must check the guide rod diameter to compare it with the reverse plug hole diameter to be sure that it will accept the guide rod. However in contrary case you can buy a new reverse plug with the extended giude rod.