Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slideglide And Cold Weather

jostein jensen

I was reading a thread about what ppl use for lube, and saw that many of you use oil instead of slideglide when its cold.

What do you define as cold? Is it when the gun stops to function because the glide is too thick?

I've got a new edge and use SG Lite on it, and was wondering if it could harm the gun using it in cold weather due to insufficient lube or something..

I use a large amount of SG, assemble, rack a few timed and remove the excess that comes out.

Shot it in temperatures down towards 0 degrees celcius. Was no problems each shot, but its the wear not malfunctions I was worrying about..

No, it won't hurt the gun. In fact I believe it is better for the gun to run the glide over oil regardless of temp.

Tight guns, I mean really tight guns, won't run in cooler temps with it though, and that is why a lot of us switch to oil. I have to switch at around 50*F.

FWIW I use the SG#1 year round. This would include shooting in weather 0 degree Celcius and below both indoor and out. The "trick" I found was to lube with both oil(FP10) and SG. Which I guess it's basically the same mixture as the SG Lite.

I went back to SG after using oil for awhile. Found that during long practice sessions the gun dried out. The SG lubes way longer. I still dont like the way SG gathers particulate.

I had a match using slide glide lite that I was able to see the slide move for the first magazine but the gun was in the car over night at about 15 degrees F. Now I use a mix of SG and oil until June.

What oil do you use and how do you mix it so that it is consistent?

I had a match using slide glide lite that I was able to see the slide move for the first magazine but the gun was in the car over night at about 15 degrees F. Now I use a mix of SG and oil until June.

+1

I don't see SG and oil mixing

No, it won't hurt the gun. In fact I believe it is better for the gun to run the glide over oil regardless of temp.

Tight guns, I mean really tight guns, won't run in cooler temps with it though, and that is why a lot of us switch to oil. I have to switch at around 50*F.

Yup, my Kimber Super Match would not run factory with the light in temps under 50. I wiped it off and used some synthetic and it was fine. In all fairness the gun has only 500-800 round through it and is very very tight. I also have a habit of dragging my thumb on the slide which doesn't help :D

Edited by JThompson

I don't have an exact formula, I put about a 1/2" SG Lite in a choke tube bottle and then add Kellube M12 until it is almost thin enough to drip. To apply I use a cut down acid brush with maybe a 1/2" of bristles and apply to every thing in the slide that moves.

How much Slide Glide should one use and does the amount go down when the temperature drops? I just took possession of a .40 S&W SVI double stack and the gun came with Slide Glide inside and a partially full container of Slide Glide. When I first shot the gun, the temperature was in the 70s and it cycled well. Used more of the same ammo with temps is the 40s and it felt a bit sluggish. Cleaned off some of the Slide Glide -- as the gun was full of it -- and it ran just fine.

Edited by Scott Gelber

I think Slide Glide caused me problems at the local IDPA match today. My CDP 1911 had been running great with SG #1. The weather turned cold (39F high) so I wiped out the #1 and lubed with lite. I had a couple of malfunctions. :( One failure to feed and one didn't lock slide back after last shot. :huh: Good thing it is supposed to warm up this week. ;)

I think Slide Glide caused me problems at the local IDPA match today. My CDP 1911 had been running great with SG #1. The weather turned cold (39F high) so I wiped out the #1 and lubed with lite. I had a couple of malfunctions. :( One failure to feed and one didn't lock slide back after last shot. :huh: Good thing it is supposed to warm up this week. ;)
Actually, it was bad karma resulting from having shot a bottomfeeder. :P

I use a light coat of SG Lite on my bottomfeeders, and they run fine all year...but then I live in south Louisiana. I especially like the fact that it stays on the locking lugs - oil doesn't, in my experience.