Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Optic Division, Scope Quality Question?

Brendan M

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very big +1 on the Weaver 1-3. Very good scope for the money. True 1x on the low end. My only problem is the 3x on the top end. It's just a little lacking on the longer targets. So I recently replaced the Weaver on my main match rifle with a Meopta with standard duplex reticle. Fantastic optics. It's MUCH better at long range. The cross hair is very fine though, so I hope I don't lose it on the hosing stages. I'll know next week! My other problem is that the power ring doesn't turn very easily. That may slow the transitions from near to far, and reverse. It also turns in the oppisite direction from what I'm use to with the little Weaver.

I also bought the Accupoint 1.25-4 to put on a POF upper I have on order. That is also a very nice scope. The power ring turns easily, and there is NO problem losing the reticle! It's only drawback is not a true 1x on the low end. But with that ultra bright reticle it may not be a problem.

I had rather have a $800 scope on a $500 ar-15 than a $1500 AR with a $100 scope.

Now that I can understand...Thank You :)

This looks like trouble for ME <_<

Jim :huh:

Come on Jim, it's only money and maybe you'll get to borrow it..... :ph34r::P:D

You're lucky, I'm still trying to get my wife to come out to the range with me. ;)

www.binoculars.com $75 less the Google $10 check out discount. I used it yesterday. So far I like it. I can already see some of the Optic Snobs sneering at it. I can't see buying a scope that costs as much as my AR when a less costly one works just as well for games.

As I stated before my serious rifles have iron sights.

You will like the circle plex reticle. The circle is coarse enough that you can use it like a large dot for close targets. Bushnell does a really good job with their glass. I took it out at dusk last night. It was just as bright as some of my high dollar bolt gun scopes.

Not a snob as I have used cheap scopes in the past & have won some with them & lost some when they lost zero.When people spend thousands of dollars on guns & lots more on entry fee's & travel exp. all year a QUALITY scope over a few years is a cheap investment. Depends on how bad you want to win & have less problems than MURPHY usually gives you.

I find it much cheaper to "tip" the SO before the stage. :P Benny, the stages that are shot around here don't go past 200-250 yds. I do agree with you that if you are having to crank the elevation up and down all day then you need a scope with repeatable "clicks".

Back in the day when I shot High Power Rifle Silhouette I used the T series Weaver scopes. The clicks never changed with them. I wonder if the 1x3 Weaver has the same system.

I just ordered a IOR/Valdada 1-4 scope with the illuminated CQB reticle. I am mounting it on my JP CTR-02 rifle with the 18" barrel. Will post info on the scope after I give it some range time. I will shoot it at my home club, maximum range 200 yards. There is a range about an hour away that goes out to 350 yards, I may try to get there and post results.

• 3 weeks later...

Up date on the cheap scope issue. A friend of mine sent me a Weaver 1-3 to try. The Bushnell is a much better scope. The optics are far brighter and crisper than the Weaver. The Circle Plex is easier to pick up at close range.

The Weaver may have a more durable windage and elevation system. Who knows, time will tell. Does not really matter where I shoot. The targets are never over 200 yds. Looks like holding on the bottom of the circle is good for 300 yds. Have to do more testing to be certain.

I like the Bushnell scope and have shot with one on a .22 a friend owns. The deal breaker with the scope for me was the poor field of view (about 1/2 of what my Meopta has) and the 50 yard parallax setting. Neither will cut it at the 3 gun matches.

There is something really wrong with the Bushnell scope. I popped clay pigeons at 300 yds this afternoon with it. Let's see $65 vs $600-$700 for the Meopta. I guess I am missing something there. Change? 78' FOV vs 111' for the Meopta. That's about $17 per foot. Pretty expensive feets! :lol:

I guess I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate the finer things in life. ;)

Well boys....this thread is kickin my butt... <_<

The wife has a JPctr02 on order....I just dont know yet if its going to be Meopta or accupoint.

Ether way its off to the blood bank for me :huh:

As far as wives go I guess I would rather buy guns than diamonds and I realy love seeing her have sooo much fun :wub:

I have to admit that the opinions of Merlin and Benny (and others) have turned my wife into a gun and scope snob :o

Jim :blink:

Several years ago when Triangle started looking at scopes for 3 gun what was aviable was very limited and frankly too damned expensive. We just didnt see enough value in the 1000 dollar plus scopes. We looked at and used the little Bushnells and they just didnt cut it, circle too small and lines too thick among a few other issues. Then we found the Simmons. It shared a few drawbacks with the Bushnells, mainly the 50 yd parallax and 1/2 clicks at 50yds. But they were tough and that pro diamond reticle was very useable( I still like that.). We used that little scope hard and sold a truck load of them. A lot of value in that scope. Then one day a guy walked thur the door with a display case full of Meoptas. He expected to sell a few 3x9 and 4x12 hunting scopes( and they are good scopes). He couldnt believe it when we pushed that stuff out of the way and jumped on the 1x4s and 1.5x5s. In short they are more expensive but the quality and value are there. They are still the best value on the market. I just wish the supply side would open up. We need a bunch of them right now.-------Larry

Edited by lkytx

Don't forget the Leupold CQT, it has a little bit of power at 1x3, so you can CQB it with both eyes open, or turn it up a little for longer shots. Also it works without a battery. In fact, I shoot it turned off most of the time. The black circle dot shows up better on brown cardboard than the orange light when it is on.

I finally got to the range with my new Valdada 1.1-4x26 with the illuminated CQB reticle. The glass is excellent as are the adjustment turrets. Positive click stops, finger adjustable etc. I only got to shoot it at 100 yards. Will be tetsting it at a 300 yard range as soon as they get the wild fires put out in N Florida, will post more then.

It does not take a "Rocket Scientist" to figure out which scope a retailer would rather sell. Assume a 15-20% markup. 20% of a $600 scope = $120 profit. 20% of a $65 scope = $13.

• 3 weeks later...