Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What config is more prevalent in Limited 10?

mellow

Wide body polymer high cap frames (such as svi/sti and para) loaded down to 10 rounds, or the traditional frame with a 10 rnd single stack??

Which config do you see more??

Pros and Cons??

Thanks all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of feel like the real intent of L10 was to make a home for the single stack guys. I now shoot my single stack .45 in L10.

Last summer I was shooting my Limited gun down loaded to 10 rounds because of the advantage (real or perceived) of a faster reload, more familiar with the pistol, etc. I felt like a gamer (in the negative sense) so I stopped doing that.

I see more single stacks in L10 than I do wide bodies. If winning is the only goal, I suppose a person would shoot which ever pistol they felt gave them the best performance.

Ron, same here, it doesn't seem right not loading the mags all the way up, I am now shooting my gun in SS mode, plus I like the feel of the SS grip better. I don't have big hands. The SS shoots softer with the steel frame it seems also.

(Edited by Loves2Shoot at 8:56 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)

I just load my regular Limited gun (Glock 35) down to 10 rounds.  I see most of the "regular" Limited shooters doing the same.  Beats trying to run two shooting platforms (gear, ammo, reloading, etc...).

But, most of the Lim10 shooters at the local clubs shoot with a single-stack.

I use the Glock35 with 10 round mags for lim 10. I have seen a few with widebody guns downloading. In my area it seems that the SS is the gun of coice for lim10. Glocks at a couple of clubs are gaining ground.

I dusted of the old 45 for a match and realized that I really did miss the old gun. I still don't care much for the long 10 round mags. More stages are rev and lim 10 freindly, so there is not that much of an advantage to hi caps. Thought about getting a single stack 40, but don't think there would be much of an advantage.

Mike

More hicaps loaded down to 10 rounds is what i see.

It sure would have been good if USPSA's intent was to set up a division for 1911 single stack's but they'd eat s@#t before they would admit they were wrong back in the early 90's.  I know that your supposed to be competitive in L10 with a single stack and those ungainly 10 rd mags but the truth is few are.  New shooters especialy still feel like they're competing against " race guns " when they see S#I's in the division.

Isn't it ironic that the one pistol that doesn't have a division it is truly competitive in is the standard 1911?

In my locale  (southern Oregon), it's split 50/50 between SS 1911 and glocks.

Most of the shooters with S_I's are shooting limited.

L10 has been really popular around here because alot of guys have SS 1911's laying around and they want to shoot them.  

Quote: from 2alpha on 6:29 pm on Jan. 12, 2003

Isn't it ironic that the one pistol that doesn't have a division it is truly competitive in is the standard 1911?

TGO won L10 at the Factory Gun Nationals with a single stack, albeit with a 6" slide.

Lincoln

>TGO won L10 at the Factory Gun Nationals with a >single stack, albeit with a 6" slide

Pulleeze:

TGO is the greatest single stack shooter in the universe, no one can touch him.  His sponsor sells single stacks. I don't think that proves the standard 1911 has a division it is truly competitive in.

TGO could win the Factory Gun Nats with about anything he shot. Unless there are standing reloads, I think you are discounting the competitiveness of the SS in L10. Ok, sure you have to pracitce mag changes a ton, but oh well. I practice most all my dryfire reloads with a SS anyway, because when it makes it easy when I grab a widebody.

Ps. I think it takes a better shooter to shoot 6" guns (longer slide makes same recoil movement look bigger,) so what was your point about TGO shooting a 6"? He could probably win shooting a 3" compact carry gun if he wanted to.

Quote: from 2alpha on 11:39 am on Jan. 13, 2003

I don't think that proves the standard 1911 has a division it is truly competitive in.

So, the fact that a piece of equipment was used to win the Nationals of a given division is not proof that that equipment is competitive in that division?  OK.

Lincoln

The advantages a S%I has over a single stack are:

Reloads,  obviously it takes more skill to reload a single stack fast than an S%I even when running.  Higher diaster factor with the ss reloads especialy with those 10 rd mags.

Caliber.  No 10 rd factory 40 mags for the ss.  Some people claim they run 10 round 45 mags reliably, I don't see them and they don't work for me. The 40 gives you at least, less torque and a wider bullet weight selection. Probably less recoil, I find the 40 easier to shoot fast.

Weight balance.  The polymer frame allows you to put the weight where you want it within the rules for any given total weight. Factory options, heavy slide and frame.

And yes just cause Robbie won with a ss doesn't make it competitive. TGO could win with anything, you agreed, so that makes my point.  TGO wins the Single Stack Classic by a staggering percentage EVERY year becasue he's the best ss shooter period. He's so good he can win L10 even with a ss. Any gun is competitive in any Div? No way.

Guy's if you had your choice to shoot the Nationals with, a single stack 45 with 10 rd mags or a S%I 40 in any of their configurations which would you pick?  Be Honest.

I agree with 99% of what you said.

I do believe virtually any gun is competitive in a division. I personally have gotten HOA at a match shooting a 9mm Beretta with 15 round mags. And before you ask, there were more than 10 shooters there.

Yes, TGO can win with anything you put into his hands, but the ability to shoot well with a gun that is less than ideal for a division is not limited to only the Masters of the universe.

It's the indian, not the arrow.

(Edited by TheItlianStalion at 6:15 pm on Jan. 13, 2003)

Bounty hunter, 38 super or 9 would be scored minor, big disadvantage.

Stallion, yes your right the ability to shoot well with less than ideal equipment is not limited to the masters of the universe. Why would you want to start with a handicap if you didn't have to?

Still waiting for answers to the Nationals question.

Quote: from 2alpha on 12:55 am on Jan. 14, 2003

Still waiting for answers to the Nationals question.

Could I have my giant SVI single stack magwell?  If so, I don't think it would make much difference.

Also, note that "competitive" doesn't necessarily mean "resoundingly superior," just not enough of a difference to matter.  If a piece of equipment can be used to win, outright, a competition, then it is by definition "competitive."  Do you honestly think that TGO would deliberately handicap himself, at the Nationals?

Lincoln

(Edited by lcarr at 9:09 am on Jan. 14, 2003)

Now for an on topic post:

Our local matches see mostly singlestacks in L10 (and winning it), but our section championship last October (2002 MS Classic) had the following finishers in L10.

1.  M class shooter with STI widebody downloaded

2.  A class shooter with STI widebody downloaded

3.  A class shooter with STI widebody downloaded

4.  A class shooter with singlestack .45

Not sure about the rest but there were several other singlestack .45's in the top 10.  Now granted this is a small sampling and one match, but I did think it was interesting.  The 4th place competitor (and first singlestack) was in the running for a higher position but trashed a stage or two to knock himself out.  

That being said, IMO it is probably a slight advantage in shooting a widebody, but its not much.   Shoot what you prefer and have fun.

In answer to 2alpha's question, I'd shoot my .40 downloaded over a singlestack because I am more familiar with it and like it (and don't yet own a singlestack.... I know, I know).   But that's hypothetical anyway, because I have no plans of downloading my .40.  If 10's great, 20's better!  Limited's too much fun!

Quote: from DBChaffin on 10:48 am on Jan. 14, 2003

Lincoln, I assume you still shoot your SV 10mm singlestack?  What mags do you use?  What capacity (9 or 10)?

Yeah, I'm still shooting it until I get my Open gun.  I'm using McCormick and Metalform 9 rounders, which are so identical that I believe they're made by the same OEM.  After trying at least three different types, I haven't found a reliable 10 rounder.

To get the thread back on track, if I wanted to be completely competitive, I would get a new .45ACP breech face and barrel, and use 10 .45ACP mags.  :^)

I will agree that, obviously, the hole at the bottom of a doublestack with a magwell is bigger than the hole at the bottom of a single stack with a magwell.  Also, the tapered double stack mag makes it even easier.  However, at some point there are diminishing returns.  A 3' diameter magwell probably isn't measurably superior to a 2' diameter magwell.  :^)

Lincoln

(Edited by lcarr at 11:13 am on Jan. 14, 2003)

(Edited by lcarr at 11:38 am on Jan. 14, 2003)