Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Thigh Rigs?

I need assistants. I am thinking about switching to a thigh holster and mag carrier for both rifle mags and hand gun platform for havy metal 3- gun. Are some better the others?

Edited by 1911vm

I need assistants. I am thinking about switching to a thigh holster and mag carrier for both rifle mags and hand gun platform for havy metal 3- gun. Are some better the others?

When it comes to a thigh holster IMHO you cant beat safarilands series. Use them for work and play. For rifle mags is a matter if you want hard kydex or softer. 3gun gear is always a favorite for everyone, the wilderness brand is what I use, safariland has leg rigs as well in hard kydex. I don't wear my rifle mags on the leg so no real opinion there.

I use the 6005 which has the quick detach, easy on and off. here is the 6004, non quick detach

6004.jpg

I carried a M9 for over a year in a Safariland 6004 overseas. If you choose to use a thigh holster that is the one I would use - I saw plenty of other competing thight (tactical) holsters in use and none measure up to the Safariland 6004.

That said, there are good points and bad with the tactical (thigh) holsters. If you choose to use one, I suggest that you wear it as high as you can - too many people wear them down almost at their knee.

I only wore the 6004 when I in full kit and wearing body armor. If I was not wearing body armor, I wore a CEN-DEX kydex belt holster and mag pouches.

Also, the subload ammo carriers seemed pretty uncomfortable to me. Some of our gunners carried mags in subloads on their thighs so that they had more room in the turret ring.

I do not plan on using a tactical (thigh) holster or other sub-loads when I shoot 3 gun - I will use a kydex belt holster and mag pouches.

I also used the 6004 overseas for multiple trips and it is the bomb. One of the funniest things I saw was someone riding in an open doored HMMWV, in the front right (passanger) side, look down and realize his handgun was no longer in his holster following a 300km night movement....lucky for him it fell out when we stopped and was right there. Another time someone with a left hand holster had one fall out while driving...a lower enlisted guy that was too scared to tell anyone when it fell out,. We had only gone a couple kilometers whe we stopped and it came to my attention. Lucky for him, we were recalled and as we backtracked, we found it, run over by about 10 vehicles, right where he thought it fell out!

This was never a problem with the Safariland.

I also used the 6004 overseas for multiple trips and it is the bomb. One of the funniest things I saw was someone riding in an open doored HMMWV, in the front right (passanger) side, look down and realize his handgun was no longer in his holster following a 300km night movement....lucky for him it fell out when we stopped and was right there. Another time someone with a left hand holster had one fall out while driving...a lower enlisted guy that was too scared to tell anyone when it fell out,. We had only gone a couple kilometers whe we stopped and it came to my attention. Lucky for him, we were recalled and as we backtracked, we found it, run over by about 10 vehicles, right where he thought it fell out!

This was never a problem with the Safariland.

I saw a similar thing - pistol was bouncing along the ground behind the HMMWV by the lanyard until I could flag down the HMMWV. It belonged to the BCT Safety Officer :lol:

• 1 month later...

I would go with one of the 6004 variants and do a "high ride" mod on it. For the high ride you trim the shroud eliminating the top leg strap so you can get it up as high as an inch or two below your belt. I would also get a SOE cqb subload for my rifle mags for the weak side. But all of that will not work properly if you don't have the foundation of a solid gun belt, but you probably know that already :D

• 5 weeks later...

I wear a SERPA rig all day at work & use same for 3 gun when I know I'll be shooting more than one gun on a stage with transitions. I have two of them & love them. I especially like the 2 suspension straps rather than a single a la the Safariland.

I also like the push button release & retention system which allows me to almost 'drop' the pistol into the holster without any further latches or covers or straps. As long as I hear the 'click' when the pistol hits home, I know I'm good.

Safariland is a great holster, I just prefer the SERPA. YMMV.

• 9 months later...

The 6004 model for the 1911 can be mod'd for use with full dustcover 2011's, btw. I did mine with a hairdryer and use my 5" SV with it for multi-f/gun. And yes, get that thing as high as you can no matter which mfg you use.

I use the SERPA as well. I like knowing for sure that my gun will stay in my holster especially on those inside the car stages. I know other holsters have retention devices that work well. I just prefer the SERPA design.

• 1 month later...
I would go with one of the 6004 variants and do a "high ride" mod on it. For the high ride you trim the shroud eliminating the top leg strap so you can get it up as high as an inch or two below your belt. I would also get a SOE cqb subload for my rifle mags for the weak side. But all of that will not work properly if you don't have the foundation of a solid gun belt, but you probably know that already :D

I thought you couldn't wear a thigh rig for 3-gun anymore?? Or is it still for military and LEO only??

The 6004 with it in the high ride fits great for me and I like the feel.

You might want to check the rules for the 3 Gun matches you want to attend.

Our local outlaw rules 3 Gun match. Does not allow thigh rigs. At this time.

In our early days of 3 Gun some of the thigh rig holsters did not hold the pistol securely.

And wile moving and running pistols fell out of holsters.

So we had to make some rule changes. For safety reasons.

Thigh rigs have gotten a lot better in the past few years. But we have not updates our rules. We would have to do testing of each type to see if they were safe,

We just have not, taken up the issue and probably will not, any time soon.

Just my two cents worth.

Jim Morris

I've been using the 6004 style for almost 6 years now, no worries about the gun coming out.

I did put the holster itself inside a spec ops brand VAPOR holster chassis because I like the dual suspension system better than the single of the 6004. It keeps it from shifting around so much.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using the 6004 style for almost 6 years now, no worries about the gun coming out.

I did put the holster itself inside a spec ops brand VAPOR holster chassis because I like the dual suspension system better than the single of the 6004. It keeps it from shifting around so much.

I started with a FOBUS thigh rig... <snicker>

Now I run a regular 6004. I tried a buddy's modified 6004 but I didn't like the fit so unmodified it is for me.