Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ced7000 Vs. Pact Mk Iv

JoshF

Looking to get myself a timer primarily for dryfiring at home. I'll be using Steve Anderson's book for this so I'm not sure if he wrote the book with a type of timer in mind of not.

I've read a TON of posts on here about the MKIV and the CED7000. Most posts seem to be +1 yr old for the MKIV or -1yr old for the CED7000 so I've never seen a direct comparison. The MKIV is nice but it looks BIG (the 80's boombox comes to mind :wacko: ) and it seems PACT's customer service can vary. The CED7000 on the other hand seems the perfect size with all the features but I have not heard of anyone practicing with it. If anyone owns both I'd like to hear your opinion/experiences. If you use it for dryfire drills all the better!

BTW also got a chrono already so no need for that function.

I have previously owned a MkIV, and I currently own a CED 7000.

Frankly, the various stories on this forum about the MkIV XP and the seemingly lackadaisical way in which PACT seemed to be addressing them turned me off to buying a MkIV XP. I also played around w/ shred's and found the "errata" to be a PITA (like, if you don't clear the memory buffer somewhat frequently, you don't actually get "instant" start...). So, I bought the 7000...

I use it for dry fire. It works just fine. Setting the par time is not as easy as it is on the PACT - there simply aren't as many buttons on the CED timer, so you have to go through a few more button presses to get it done. But, it works fine.

Also, it ran two days worth of squads at the DTC this weekend on stage 4 on a single charge, and still has plenty of juice left on it - that's roughly 12-14 hours of "on" time and about 200 shooters. Didn't have any issues with the timer during the match at all - in fact, it out performed the CED 8000 that was in use on that stage during the Friday part of the match - no problems w/ picking up shots from other bays, etc...

Its also much smaller than the PACT unit, and fits in my bag easily and doesn't take up precious space...

That said - the timer is a little bit "plastic-ey", and cheap feeling. I highly recommend getting a silicone sleeve for it, and the belt hanger - the hanger can be turned around and used to guard the LCD and buttons when the timer is in your bag... ;)

I have two CEDs (6000 and 8000) and they are both work horses. I'll add a 7000 one of these days. Finally, someone made a water resistant timer! :D

That being said, comparing the PACT and the CED 7000 is pretty much like comparing apples to oranges. They are both timers/fruits but they have very different capabilities.

I will say that CED service absolutely rocks. If you look in the CED catalog there are number of customer quotes...the one from "Kevin" is from me.

For dry fire drills can the CED be set low enough on the buzzer not to wake the dead? I live in a duplex so volume is a concern. Also I believe it has configurable sensitivity, can it be set sensitive enough to pickup striker/hammer drop while dryfiring at home?

The CED keeps sounding better. Compared to the PACT what do you give up feature wise beside the chronograph and the keypad??? Anything I'd be kicking myself over later?

It can if you send it to EricW and have him perform his magic on it. I think he still does that mod but check with him first.

I use my CED 8000 for dry fire. It has a headphone jack so I can plug in and go crazy with dry fire and not annoy/wake the rest of the house. Just be sure to loop the wires around the back side or you get tangled up in them. Or maybe that is just me.

For dry fire drills can the CED be set low enough on the buzzer not to wake the dead? I live in a duplex so volume is a concern. Also I believe it has configurable sensitivity, can it be set sensitive enough to pickup striker/hammer drop while dryfiring at home?

The CED keeps sounding better. Compared to the PACT what do you give up feature wise beside the chronograph and the keypad??? Anything I'd be kicking myself over later?

I just got my 7000 a few days ago to me it is very easy to figure it out. when you press the menu button first thing you can select is the delay on when the timer goes off which you can set to random which is from 5 seconds to 2 seconds randomly choosing which i like for when i dry fire. As for the beep sound when you scroll further done on the main menu you can select buzzer volume which you have 2 to choose from which is normal the really load one and the Soft which is what i use when i dry fire " doesn't scream at you" As for the sensitivity i have played with it a little it gives you a choice from 1 to 8 Eight being the most sensitive. only time i it would pick up the hammer drop is when it was on my wrist and the mic was facing the gun. Like said above purchase the silicone skin for it! very good insurance. So far i have enjoyed the timer very small i stick it in my mag pouch while dry firing so its easy to start and its out of the way. " I haven't purchased the belt clip yet haha" Hope this helps you some

Joey

I had them both at the same time. Now I only have the CED. Hope this explains it. I was going to keep them both but after getting the CED I just couldn't see myself practicing with the brick clipped to my belt. And the Pact have and enormous appetite for batteries, didn't really wanted to run with recharged batteries.

Chrono.

I just bought I separate chrono (Pact) for a hundred dollars.

A chrono and the CED cost the same as a PACT timer.

To keep to volume down, I set it low and put a silicon earplug over the mic.

It picks up hammer drop but only if I hold it next to it, not much if it's on my wrist.

More ways to set the timer -custom par- is my favorite. If you go my way you will know what I was talking about.

Edited by TheHun

It can if you send it to EricW and have him perform his magic on it. I think he still does that mod but check with him first.

What mod does EricW do? Is it for the mic sensitivity?

To all that provide all the input on their timer experiences, I thank you. Since I am Ksmoker's Dad I felt that a thank you was in order for providing both of us with your input. We were both shopping. I decided on the 7000, with a belt clip, skin and a retractable lanyard. He just told me that he is going with a 7000 also. One of my reasons is that these people are great supporters of the sport and while I am still fairly new to it, I appreciate all that have helped to spread the sport. I love playing and improving. I have no plans to be a major player, but I do want to keep getting better and a timer is sorely needed. Thanks again to all and to Brian for hosting this great site.

As ks-shooter said above I just ordered my 7000 and a skin. For those who are looking Shooter's Connection has the 7000s in stock and Target Barn has the 7000T which look pretty cool (all black).

I also picked up Steve Anderson's book. Now to see if I can put them to good use!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Edited by KSmoker

Both KSmoker and KS-shooter came from Shooters Connection (Chuck). Mine has already shipped and should be here by Thursday (great service). I assume that KSmoker is not far behind. Believe me, we will post on our experience with these timers. It is actually not supposed to rain this weekend in NE Kansas and perhaps we will shoot.....Absolutely!

The two PACT products I have ever purchased, a MKIV XP and Scale have been junk. They also have the worse customer service.

Would recommend the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro 2. Works great.

Ordered my CED 7000 Tuesday from Chuck, got it today in time to take to the the evening match.

It was simply awesome. Small, lightweight, and easy to use. No real need for directions, and the menu is self explanatory.

I bought the "skin" and the belt clip to go with it.

I love the comstock feature, as well as the nice display and info.

It has FAR fewer buttons than the PACT IV that my practice buddy uses, and is MUCH smaller too.

Great memory and functions.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Skin, Belt Clip, and Timer, total cost $144