Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar15 Paint Job

ap3

Ok, I got too bored over the winter and painted my AR. I have done a couple of MOR rifles and a pistol, but this was my first AR. The pictures are not great, but what do you think?

post-108-1174783133.jpg

attachmentid=8296]

post-108-1174783163.jpg

quote name='John Dunn' date='Mar 25 2007, 10:02 AM' post='531132']

Will match officials give you crap for a cammo gun at matches where cammo clothing is forbidden? Looks great. How long did it take? Any lessons learned you would like to pass on?

Lessons Learned:

Use an aircompressor and decent detail air gun if possible instead of canned air and a cheap air brush.

Surface preparation is very important, and for any surface with gouges use Durafill. Just make sure and sand the all the surfaces well with 320 or 600 grit paper.

I think it looks better to paint the gun fully assembled with working parts masked off.

Ideally, one day between each coat and give the whole piece along as use can to cure. If possible a couple of weeks.

Use a lot of light while painting and build up slowly to the finished coat of each color.

The pictures of the paint colors on the website, don't look the same on the gun.

A big lesson learned was how to suspend the gun while painting it. I tied a string to a small stick and wedge the stick inside the upper receiver thourgh the magwell attaching the other end to the shelve that overhung my work bench so that the gun gun hung upside down and I could spin it on the string to get to all sides.

The sticker templates are $10.00 from http://catalog.bulldogarms.com/, I wished I would have purchased two of them to give memore flexibility with the design.

Flectran is also a very cool pattern here is a 308bolt action I did.post-108-1174871168.jpg

Feel free to email me directly if you decide to give it a try and have some more questions.

apilkington3@comcast.net

• 1 month later...

From sanding, and layering the paint as well as template placing it is about a 8 hour job. I stretched the whole project out over a couple of days in order to let the paint set up between layers. It is really quite easy to do.

Edited by ap3

Ok, I got too bored over the winter and painted my AR. I have done a couple of MOR rifles and a pistol, but this was my first AR. The pictures are not great, but what do you think?

post-108-1174783133.jpg

attachmentid=8296]

Looks great. How durable is the finish?

post-108-1174783133.jpg

attachmentid=8296]

Looks great. How durable is the finish?

Very durable, the paint is mixed with a hardening agent and you can adjust the amount to get the desired strength.