Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 To 1050..............worth It?

I have been using a 550 and 650 and am thinking about getting the 1050, but don't know if it is worth the extra $$$.

I have a dedicated 650 that I use for only 38 Super. Has the KISS bullet feeder and I have the RF 100 primer filler. The 550 is used for other calibers (all pistol).

Is it worth it for me to buy the 1050 (I would then sell the 650)? I only do pistol and would use the 1050 for just the 38 Super. Is it worth the money for me to do this? What are the advantages of the 1050 over the 650? I would obviously keep the KISS for the new 1050. Does the 1050 price include the casefeeder?

If I get the 1050 is there room for the powder check station if I have the KISS bulletfeeder installed? I seat and crimp at separate stations. Is the powder check a good idea/necessary to have on the 1050?

I have done a search and read a bunch of stuff but would like input from those who have gone from the 650 to the 1050. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Edited by nhglyn

I have found that most of the time it is not do I need it, but I WANT IT.

Sometimes the difference between the two machines may be worth the cost when it comes down to reloading a large volumn of bullets all at once. I would go for it............

Other than the "feel" of the machine, the only difference is that you do not have to worry about seating the primer on the 1050. The primers are automatically seated on the down stroke to the exact depth you wanted. This will even happen if there is a small primer case, and the press is loaded with large primers. Despite the physics of the situatiuon, power prevails.

I have both presses (and a 550 too) and was comfortable with the 650. What I enjoy about the 1050 is that I can rush without worrying about seating the primers properly, like I do on the 650.

Speaking of primers........

On the 1050 is there a primer disk like the 650? Or does it use some other system? Also, is there a spent primer cup like the 650 or something different.

I appreciate all your help.

Casefeeder comes with it. If you're going to use separate seating and crimping dies, and a bullet feeder, you will not have room for a powder check. Primer delivery is accomplished by a reciprocating slide. There is still a spent primer cup, but it doesn't spew as many primers as the one on my 650 does. Advantages of the 1050 over the 650 are:

Adjustable primer seating depth.

Ability to swage crimped primer pockets.

Smoother operation because the tool head drops and primers seated on the downstroke.

All that said, it's also a more complicated machine than the 650, and will require more time to learn. I think that 1050s are best as single caliber presses, so I kept the 650 to load everything other than 9mm production loads....

Speaking of primers........

On the 1050 is there a primer disk like the 650? Or does it use some other system? Also, is there a spent primer cup like the 650 or something different.

I appreciate all your help.

While not exactly the same, my 1050 (older model, pre-super) has a primer slide along the lines of a 550. I can cycle the press without cases and no primers are dispensed. Similar to the 550, they stay in the slide unless used. The system is a lot heavier duty than the 550 and does not require the level of maintenance since it does not rely on springs to return the slide.

Nik,

I came up with this to catch spent primers on my 650, can the same sort of thing be fitted to the 1050?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42137

No clue --- I honestly can't quite tell from looking at the pictures. But, I suspect that you'd figure out a way to fit something like that to a 1050, even if you had to reinvent the wheel....

Shred?

Nik,

I came up with this to catch spent primers on my 650, can the same sort of thing be fitted to the 1050?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42137

Since you prime at station 3, and the lower frame does not move, I think there is nothing below station 1 besides a hole in the frame where the primers drop through and into the cup. You could simply find the proper size of copper tubing and press it into the 1050 frame. Then you can attach the clear tubing and run it wherever you would like.

Edited by L9X25

Heck, I went from a SDB to a S1050 for .45ACP only, and got a 550 for the other calibers. Bypassed the 650 entirely.

The primer crimp swage is a big help for .45, never can tell when your "once fired" brass will include some military. And I really like the way it positively seats the primer.

But I think the gains will be small in .38 Super.

Thanks for all the replys, I decided to go for the 1050. I just spoke to Brian and placed my order with him. Glad to purchase from a guy who does so much for the sport and this forum. Now, can't wait for it to get here..........that will be the hard part. Thanks again. Got my 650 sold already too, so that helps.

Then you have to order another KISS & 1050!

You can't have enough of a good thing!

No, can't make Satuday gigs, have to work.

Learn alot, so you can teach me some of Matt's tricks!

JH

Edited by 9x21

If my 1050 will be set up to do only my 38 Super, do I need to swage? Or do I just remove the rod and leave the station empty?

Can someone give me a list of what goes in what station? I have separate seating and crimp dies and I have the KISS bullet feeder. So what goes where 1-8?

Thanks.

Edited by nhglyn

On my 1050 you size and deprime on station 1.

Station 2 swages the primer pocket and expands the neck for the projectile. Even if you do not wish to swage, you still need to expand the neck there unless you intend to change the 1050's powder funnel to a standard expanding/belling funnel.

Station 3 primes.

Station 4 is the powder drop.

Stage 5 is where you place the bullet feeder.

Station 6 is where the seater goes.

Station 7 is where the taper crimp goes.

L9X25,

The KISS bulletfeeder comes with a special powder funnel that bells the correct amount for the bulletfeeder to work correctly. So, given that I will have that installed with the powder die at station 4, how does that change what I have at #2? Do I swage straight walled pistol cases? Or, remove swaging rod and have station empty?

You can blow off station 2, or leave it as-is (I use it, just to make sure the primer pockets and all are good)-- If you set the swage backup expander thing right, you don't even need the special KISS funnel in Station 4.

You can blow off station 2, or leave it as-is (I use it, just to make sure the primer pockets and all are good)-- If you set the swage backup expander thing right, you don't even need the special KISS funnel in Station 4.

Pretty much like SHRED said.

I'd just set powder funnel die supplied by KISS to spec! ( to be sure) those case mouth opening specs are priceless!

I only shoot new brass, so #2 swage is disconnected on my two 1050's.

Now get to shooting!