Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Jam

Viggen

This is a newish G34 with maybe 1000 rounds through it. It was running fine but in the last couple of hundred rounds it has started to stovepipe. I have not had this sort of problem with any other Glock and it has me stumped.

If you have had this experience with a Glock, what was the problem and the solution?

I had a failure to feed at a match today...not really sure what happened with that, but I have mods on my gun that could play a role...plus I shoot my own reloads.

Any mods to your Glock? Have you cleaned the barrel in the past 1000 rounds?

This is a newish G34 with maybe 1000 rounds through it. It was running fine but in the last couple of hundred rounds it has started to stovepipe. I have not had this sort of problem with any other Glock and it has me stumped.

If you have had this experience with a Glock, what was the problem and the solution?

Is it stock? Factory Ammo or reloads? Specifics on any changes to gun or load?

What kind of ammo are you using? Try factory ammo if you have not. I would try a different recoil spring assembly and see how it works. Check the condition of the extractor, could it be partially chipped? Disassemble the slide assembly and check the spring that provides extractor tension. Is it happening with all your mags? Is your thumb riding the slide? Maybe you can get with another G34 shooter and try your top end on their gun and their top end on your gun. Trouble shooting like this you can divide and conquer the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

Keith

Viggen, as everyone has stated a little more info would be needed to see if accesorizing your gun with various components as listed above may effect your stoppages. I fought with this problem since last July, tried various things and it seemed prdominent with a reload and or last or first rounds being fired. Also it was not a typical stove pipe, the empty brass tended to lay length wise in the ejection port making it all the more difficult to clear. As I stated I fought with this problem for a long time, UNTIL someone suggested on the forum to check my hand position. ALASS, the problem ended up being after lots of money spent on parts the gun did not need. My strong hand thumb would ride a little to close to the slide. Thus slowing down the slide enough to not get a great ejection of the empty casing, and allowing the slide to catch the brass, in the ejection port. Funny thing (and im still not laughing about this), once I started to watch placement of my thumb after a regrip on a reload and or initial gripping of the gun when drawing from a holster, the stoppage never happened again. Another guy I shoot with has an open glock and was experiencing the same exact thing, I checked his grip advised him he should readjust, and the problem cleared right up. Check your strong hand thumb placement first if that doesnt clear it up, then start spending money on compents that may effect this. GOOD LUCK. ;)

As the gun is stock you will need to make sure that you are using strong ammo. If you are using good factory ammo and the problem persists, then change all the springs (including the magazine springs!) with factory strength springs. My 21 will consistently fail to extract the second from last round in all 12 of my magazines when I use light loads and I can't figure out why but this problem disappears as long as I load to at least 145 PF. My brother's old 19 has suddenly become very problematic and I suspect the magazine springs need to be replaced. If you're using a stock gun and factory ammo and suddenly have a problem then you need to replace the springs or look carefully for a broken part. And Glocks with stock barrels should go many thousands of rounds before they need any cleaning.

Dave Sinko

All stock parts, no changes.

Hand position is not an issue in this case.

First on the list will be a good cleaning, then it's back to the range.

If you feed a glock good ammo and it doesn't run, often it's the shooter.

I take the extended slide stop/release out of all my glocks. If you are using a good thumbs forward grip (like we all like to do) then the thumbs get into the extended part during recoil (for me, it only seemed to happen under match pressure).

I take the extended slide stop/release out of all my glocks. If you are using a good thumbs forward grip (like we all like to do) then the thumbs get into the extended part during recoil (for me, it only seemed to happen under match pressure).

True that. I experianced that last season while shooting Production. I thought something was wrong with my gun, but after posing the question here on the forum, I removed the ext. slide stop as Flex mentioned, and the problem magically vanished! :D

I'm with you Benny.

I get them handed to me at matches in the same condition. Bone dry. I don't know what people are thinking. Usually the dry gun first presents with a trigger pull that keeps getting harder and harder to pull.

I let my Glock run dirtier than I should. But, I'm not afraid to pull a bore-snake through the magwell and out the barrel a half-dozen times, then pop the slide off to add a drop of oil on each of the rails, a drop on the connector/trigger bar nose, a drop on the barrel "bushing" and a drop on the sear/striker engagement area. Then give a few pushes on the extractor with the back of my knife blade to make sure it moves freely and to visually check for any extra carbon build up in that area.

First rule...bring stuff that works.

Yep, it was dirt. That puppy was absolutely filthy. Next time I will have to remember to clean every 700-800 rounds before it cakes on. LOL. Runs great when clean.

Good advice from all. Thank you.

I don't find that Glocks - or 1911s or SIGs for that matter - need to kept clean to run. It's more important they're lubricated than that they're clean. As long as the gun is lubed, it can be fired until it's absolutely filthy, and then beyond, without skipping a beat. My experience, YMMV.

Every 10 years you take it into your dealer and pay him $600 for a new clean one.

10 years?!?! Why do you wait so long? Should be an annual thing - max.

Edited by racerba

And the answer was? I ask because I've gone literally thousands of rounds between cleaning on all my main guns and they've just kept on ticking.

And the answer was dirt/filth/grunge. It was dirtier than a barn that hadn't been mucked out in a while - which it hadn't.

A disassembeled scrubbing and all is well.

I was asking how many rounds it had been since the last cleaning.

At first I thought it somewhere over a thousand but after looking at the empty bullet boxes in 9mm it's looking like it's around the 1500 range. This is with molly-coated bullets, not jacketed.