Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2001 Nationals

I spoke with the Great One after Sunday's shooting. First, he said the atmosphere or feeling at the match was very strange (but not unexpected). The normal excitement is missing. He summed it up by saying that no one is going to really care who wins. With that in mind, he said he shot "OK" on the first day and figured he was around 15 points behind where he should have been because of a slight brain fart on one stage. He said Todd looked to be the most dialed of the "group," while the Burner looked tough and deliberate as usual. They only shot 3 stages on Sunday, and were scheduled to shoot quite a few today. If he calls me tonight, I'll post another update.

be

Unoficially, the GREAT ONE takes the Limited nats by 10 - 15 pts (in a dramatic come from behind finish).

Nevertheless, he said, in light of our situation, he nor anyone else seems to really care.

BTW, that was post 7001.

be

I was just getting ready to post if anyone knew the winner of the Limited Nationals. I didn't see it on USPSA or see where they have tracked the results day by day like in the past years. I always loved to follow that day by day, it made me feel like I was almost there, like watching a ball game.

I was disappointed to not see it this year, but I figured there might be problems with what's happened this past week. Brian, could you maybe keep us updated from the Great One during the Open Nationals if you get a chance?

The Great One is something else!!!! Can't believe he won another Nationals, how many is that 11 or 12?

Just got back tonight.

WOW.

If there was one stage I wanted to see the super-squad shoot it was stage 17.  There were 140 points to be had...a swinger, a double mover, and two bobbers.  This ended up being the last stage for the big dogs.

Chuck Bradley (super squad) told me that there was only five points seperating the top guys (Robbie, Todd, and Jerry) going into the last stage.  

...and it had been raining good all afternoon.  I heard Todd ask the match director if they were going to let them keep shooting.  At first I thought Jarrett was trying to do a little gaming.  I know now that he was afraid that one of the top three would have to shoot in the mess and the others would get to wait for better weather...and the weather came hard.

Robbie was first up.  That is just when the steady rain turned to hard rain.  The C.R.O obviously asked Robbie what he wanted to do.  He looked back at Todd, who then asked where the "Burner" was.  Jerry gave a big strong thumbs-up from under his umbrella...all three were in, no matter what.

Well...to try to keep this short...Robbie ran the course in 15.36 second, only two points down.  Todd an Jerry must have felt a lot of pressure because they really pushed it.  It just wasn't enough.

I swam to the truck thinking I had seen something special.  Classic ending.

----------------

Todd won the shoot-off the next day.  The closest match was between him and Barnhart...it could have went either way.  To get to each other they both had to do some quick mag work.  On one early string Barnhart dropped his reload mag and had to grab his back-up.  No problem.  On one of Todd's he had a miss which he had to pick up with his reload...then reload again before hitting the stop plate.  Damn fast.

----------------

That was my first Nationals.  Awesome!

Just talked to the The Great One - he said the Burner took the Open Nats by a couple points. Todd was leading by approx 15 pts going into the last stage when he had a 5 sec jam. Bummer. JJ Racaza was second, Max Michele 3rd, Todd 4th, Robbie 5th, and our very own Travis Thomasie was 6th. The Great One said he was doing well until he snagged his knee brace on the door and then his scope started blinking off and on....

Oh, and The Great One said the Burner had to shoot a really hard run to win, which he did, and then a dropper didn't activate so he had to shoot it over. He did, and rocked the house again.

Congrats to The Great One and the Burner!!!!!

be

I just wanted to know if the Burner used optics or irons again. I wondered what happened to Todd, that is unlike him to be 4th. The jam explains it. The Burner is something else though. Does Jerry even shoot any matches anymore, I don't see any scores for classifiers for him for a year or two.

I didn't watch the end of the Limited match, but I watched the end of the Open on stage 17, the most difficult and complex stage of either match. Incredibly dramatic. Range equipment failure reshoots for two shooters in contention for a win. Jarrett's mag fell while engaging the first array but he had another one in hand before the first one was below his belt line. But the gun wouldn't fire. He racked it and it wouldn't fire. He dumped, racked, inserted a third mag, and racked, and continued at least 5 seconds down. He yelled, "f*#k!!!" as he left the first position and after showing clear he repeatedly asked, "Can you believe that?!?" It was heartbreaking. I thought then it was JJ Racaza's match to lose, but Barnhart snatched the win by 2 points by taking all 130 stage points with a smoking reshoot run. Nobody really knew at the time, including Barnhart's wife. Two points in a 1600 point match is too close to call. If the software rounded hit factors and stage points differently, the results could be different.

Angus does not "live" in the US, he just stays there for long periods of time :-).

Just came back to Norway today. I left from Chicago O'Hare and it was not really crowded there.......

No problem flying with guns, but other security was stronger.

Even

• 2 months later...