Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"temple Of Doom"

Ben Stoeger

Hey guys.. I was looking over the latest Front Sight magazine.. and something odd occured to me. The stage this concerns is Stage 3 at the Area 2 match. (It’s the one pictured on the cover).

It seems to me that the targets in that stage were in effect disappearing, as it doesn’t appear the competitor had any way to back the trolleymajigger up. The rule for disappearing targets (9.9.2 or something) only covers when the target its self moves. But... from a common sense standpoint it would seem to me that this stage should have been scored with disappearing targets. (Maybe the dozens of people that zeroed the stage would agree).

Any thoughts or idea’s?

Later,

Ben

Ben,

The first 6 targets could be engaged either static or moving. (3 left, 3 right). The rest of the targets "went by" pretty fast BUT there was a rope on either side of the track that you could pull your self back up. So, technically, nothing disappeared.

Nice try, though!

Later,

Chuck

Now that I think about it, it that had been an option, I think Burkett would of said something <_<

Edit: and what Brit said....

Edited by ChuckS

>>Here's<< an entire thread about the match. See post #34. That's the first one that explains your option to haul yourself back uprange with the ropes hanging on either side. Also, the shooter had a brake available to stop at any point and engage targets.

Ben,

The rest of the targets "went by" pretty fast BUT there was a rope on either side of the track that you could pull your self back up. So, technically, nothing disappeared.

I didnt see the ropes in the Article...

Was pulling yourself back up even a realistic option?

Ben,

The rest of the targets "went by" pretty fast BUT there was a rope on either side of the track that you could pull your self back up. So, technically, nothing disappeared.

I didnt see the ropes in the Article...

Not really. You sort of had to do a trade study to see if you could hit the targets v.s. using the brake. The wonderful Rio staff was kind enough to give about a 15 yard head shot at the end so you really did not want to stop short. It was a very difficult (but fun) stage to do only once without a "ride through". I did not do all that well but I did not zero either. The funny thing is that I hit the mini-poppers on the move while have mikes on paper. I guess there may be something to that visual patience stuff.. <_<

That was not a 15 yd head shot! Well maybe if let the cart go to the end. Most people stop a pretty reasonable distance from the end to complete the COF.

I miss the some of the small poppers but cleaned the back row. You know miss the somewhat easy and nailed the longer distance stuff.

As the article stated most people ended with a mike on the stage with many folks flat out zeroing it.

IF you braked too early their was not enough energy left to make it farther down the track. It was a pretty tough stage.

I braked slightly as I went and only had 1 mike (hard cover hit on first target on left) and ended up 14th overall in limited as a B shooter. I saw the first days results and all the zeros and decided to shoot it more conservative which worked in this case.

Neal in AZ

That was not a 15 yd head shot! Well maybe if let the cart go to the end. --- snip ---

Sorry, but I was trying to avoid fairy tale-like exaggeration :D My first guess was 20 yards but it is not so clear now. It was not the most production (or PSSD :huh: ) friendly stage with the center arrays being so close together. If you were confident you could do those arrays with one 10 round mag. Hell, now that I think about it I probably could of since I did manage to nail the mini-poppers. I guess I let panic rule that stage :angry:

It was fun and now I understand why drive-by shootings never work well...

Let's see what they dream up for '07!

It was a cool stage, but I do think this is an example of 'non-disappearing target' abuse though-- what, after you just rocketed past all the bad guys, you're going to turn around and haul yourself back just so you can shoot them??? That'll play well in Peoria...

Ben,

I wasn't there but with winning hit factors in the 7's and sub 19 sec runs, I think it was there to make the stage legal but I don't think very many pulled themselves back.

Ben,

I wasn't there but with winning hit factors in the 7's and sub 19 sec runs, I think it was there to make the stage legal but I don't think very many pulled themselves back.

The area 2 folks are pretty good about not having "disappearing targets". A few years ago they had a stage that was like an inverted U with a wall in the middle and a wall on the left. You started on the right side of the U and shot through ports in the center wall and the wall on the left of the U. When you got down to the bottom of the U, you tripped a turnstyle that closed ports on the wall on the left side of the U and then you backed up down the left side of the U. Everyone said "Oh Boy, disappearing targets". Nope! The designers cut something like 6" squares about 1 foot off the ground under each port that was closed by the turnstyle. No running past those targets!

Later,

chuck