Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Know Who This Is?

Richard Jones

Got this link to a video, was wondering who it is, as I don't recognize the shooter. Whoever it is, pretty darn good to shoot this fast doing a Mozambique, especially with a Taurus 1911 and a Kytac holster. Don't get to see the hits, but what the heck, you believe him, don't you? I was also told that when he was "competing", he was doing consistent .7 draws. To be truthful, I have apparently been training the wrong way, as I can't do that on a ONE yard target and don't even know anyone that knows anyone that can do that, so I was wondering, maybe he would teach a class.............. I think there are a couple of more videos there as well............. I understand that he is a "top competitor" that shoots a lot with Rob and Todd and Brian and Jerry and others, so you may understand my confusion when I say that I don't recognize him, but I've only been shooting for 10 years. He also knows 20-30 other shooters that can easily do this at 10 yards, so I am really frustrated, as I don't know any of them, either.

I haven't had a chance to ask Todd about it, what with the S&W today, but I'll try one day next week...........

Look familiar? How about helping a guy out? Thanks in advance.............

Richard (thinking of turning in the M card) Jones

Rice, VA

Mozambique

I'm nobody you'd know, but I hit a .81 to a 10y popper two weeks ago in a match. I've hit some mid and even a few low .70's in practice, but a real .81 is as fast as I've been in a match on demand.

Today at a local I went .88 to a 7y and then .93 to a 9 y open target. All draws from kydex, hands relaxed.

About a month ago someone asked me about the IDPA times, and I tried a "2 body 1 head", I think it was a 1.34. Somthing like .87 draw, .18 split, .29 to the head. The draw was pretty quick for me, but the shooting times were very doable @ 7y.

I don't know who that guy is or what distance he's shooting at, but it sure don't look like he's seeing much. a .17 transition body to head seems unrealistic other than a "hoper-point".

I watched a couple of the other vids he's posted under "LUPER" and he can shoot. Again it's hard to tell what distance he's shooting at, and it looks to me like he's shooting those kind of splits from timing memory rather than actually seeing the sights return, but when he zooms on a target, the hits are there.

moz revisited...

It's doable, but definitely "go for it" speed.

I watched another one, that looks like the same distance as the others, and after he's done shooting it takes him 7 short steps to get to the target. Maybe 5-7y MAX. Still a 1.71 Bill is fast even at 5-7y. (At least for me :unsure: )

bill drills

Not taking anything away from him, he's got some game and he's fast, and the hits were there, I'm just trying to keep Richard Jones from slashing his wrists. B)

Edited by dirtypool40

Nobody should know ANYONE that worked in Bolivia....Aviation....YEA...RIGHT! :D Yea and I was doing "mining" in Tipuanni! :lol: Just got done with a little shooting deal with a single stack from a Blade-Tech ( real good stuff!) for 5 round in less than 3-seconds at 7 yards. Average time 1.89-2 seconds.. all A zone hits. What this guy is doing is more than doable, but it does take a "bit " of pratice! Wish I knew who it was because he is down right salty! KURTM

Hard to tell if it's Jethro, but don't doubt the speed if it is. My first "big club" match was at SWPL in 1997(?). We had a stage called Hammer Time (pretty popular back in the day) and I was squadded with "the gang" from YZF which included Jethro.

With a part time of 6 seconds on the stage, 16 shots, a reload and a uprange start, Jethro fire all 16 rounds with the reload, had the gun cleared and was re-holstering when the buzzer sounded. Not too shabby.

Keep in mind too that he wasn't the scariest guy on steel for nothing.

Rich

I don't know him. He is very good at those speed drills.

I don't want to give Richard fuel but they are 10 or so of us around here :o that can duplicate those drill/times. Various GM/M's.

Its not all the game just a few speed drills.

Edited by BSeevers

It is the same Lurper that is a member here. I've talked with him a bit on another forum. I don't think he competes any more, but used to run in AZ with BE's pack...I believe. (Looks like he could be shooting at Rio...from the vids.)

I checked him out when I first started reading his posts. He's real. L388

Look up his real name here if you like...it is in his profile.

FWIW...there are a lot of people out there that "we've never heard of" that I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a gunfight with.

About a month ago someone asked me about the IDPA times, and I tried a "2 body 1 head", I think it was a 1.34. Somthing like .87 draw, .18 split, .29 to the head. The draw was pretty quick for me, but the shooting times were very doable @ 7y.

I don't know who that guy is or what distance he's shooting at, but it sure don't look like he's seeing much. a .17 transition body to head seems unrealistic other than a "hoper-point".

We shoot that same drill at just about every monthly Steel Challenge match. My transition to the head is almost always the same as my second shot split to the body. The only time I miss (shoot hopers) is when I'm not paying attention nor executing.

We have a thread or two around here that talks all about it. Search for "double trouble".

Thanks to all for the info, guess I need to go practice some. Consistent .7 draws and .11-.13 splits at an IPSC target at 10 yards is going to take me a while. Guess I didn't realize that it is such a common occurrence.

"FWIW...there are a lot of people out there that "we've never heard of" that I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a gunfight with." No doubt, but not the issue here. As a "top competitor", it's someone that I/we should have heard of, hence my confusion.

Anyway, I figured out what I wanted to know. And for those concerned, I'm putting away the razor blade for now.......

R

I haven't had a chance to ask Todd about it, what with the S&W today, but I'll try one day next week...........

Look familiar? How about helping a guy out? Thanks in advance.............

Richard (thinking of turning in the M card) Jones

Rice, VA

Mozambique

Richard, show Todd the video. He will get a kick out of it. Then ask him about my house in VA.

I have not actively competed for about 15 years. However, I was sponsored by several companies, won several matches, stages at the Nationals (but never the whole enchilada), and shot every match on the circuit for about 6 years.

The range for all of those videos is 7 yards. That was how I was taught them.

That is Rio Salado, one of the finest facilities anywhere.

I am not a crackhead and Mr Nesbitt is exactly correct in the reference to my nickname.

I don't hang out here near as much as I should. If you have any other questions, post em or PM. I am always happy to talk shooting.

P.S. Thanks for the compliments.

Edited by Lurper