Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jim Zumbo Removes His Foot From His Mouth.

GeorgeInNePa

Hi smokshwn,

I like your post. I agree with you more than you will think

if this post writes out as I expect.....

First I want you to know how I read your post...

the apology was superflurious

because we won't forgive him.

one should never give a traitor a second chance.

We hope he will eek out a living

begging for table scraps in BradyCamp.

We will survive the public relations hit.

Rub a lot of dirt in it and carry on regardless

ok. it strikes me as a little harsh

and if you can live by those standards,

I (ulp!) can as well.

That leaves the small problem of making sure this problem never happens again....

if we throw people who make mistakes out of the

Believers in the Second Amendment, (yes I belong!)

Then how long until we have just me and you in our club?

at some point some mistakes will be tolerated?

getting quoted on the BradyCamp's web page is too far?

How does one teach/learn to THINK before speaking?

cause that is the problem here...

miranda

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...When, sit down at my computer type up a plan to stomp on your foot, send the plan to my editor, publish the plan..."

Blogs don't normally work that way. :)

I had a Blog during the Ryder Cup last fall, it is not any different than posting a PM, it is not reviewed like an article for a magazine etc...

But, IMHO, he knew what he was doing!!!

Miranda

You asked "What do you all think an apology is?"

How's this:

When I step into a crowded elevator and MISTAKENLY step on your toe, I apologize for causing you harm. Simple, effective.

When, sit down at my computer type up a plan to stomp on your foot, send the plan to my editor, publish the plan, and then walk up to you while you are sitting at dinner and intentionally stomp on your foot, an apology for breaking your toe is a hollow attempt to avoid retribution and responsibility. Much more complex and never effective.

As far as getting the article off the Brady webpage, please explain some kind of process to do so. As well as why in the world they would ever be motivated to comply. He made their point!

Hi smokshwn,

I quoted because you write so fast. I am getting lost trying keep pace.

ummm if the result of both actions were broken bones

then the comparison may well hold.

a sincere apology will include paying the doctor's bills...

in the second hypothetical, prison time may be added to your billpaying....

and I am not sure your examples are saying what you want.

an apology is verbal and an admission of having done the crime.

for most people the test of sencerity is action consistant with

the admission and making ammends.

an apology:

I am sorry I put a baseball through you plateglass window.

one possible action:

I will get plywood to fill the hole until I get the glass company here

to replace the glass.

I will pay all.

doing all that will be taken as sincere.

another possible action:

please give me my ball.

not sincere...

While making mr. Zumbo a BradyCamp lapdog may be a satisfying punishment,

I am not sure it is a good idea.

miranda

"...When, sit down at my computer type up a plan to stomp on your foot, send the plan to my editor, publish the plan..."

I suspect this is what happened to this guy......typical inet trap. He wrote it and fired it off......didn't set it aside to think about it for a while, didnt run it by his editor...who may have said "Jim, WTF are you thinking???"

[What do you all think an apology is?

Everyone;

To me, an apology is an admission of guilt. It does not include any excuses or resume. It acknowledges the affects that the problem caused. If possible, it provides a solution to the problem. But some mistakes can not be taken back. If you run over a child, you can't just rewind the tape and everything is okay. likewise, if you aid your enemy, it can rarely be taken back.

Mr. Zumbo's "apology" falls short in several ways. He acknowledges causing a problem, but the way it was worded, he is only concerned about the pain it is causing him, not the rest of the shooting community. A better characterization of his statement is to call it damage control. I do not feel that he has changed his mind about ugly black rifles, he has merely tried to take back what he said, to ease the pain it is causing him.

The articles that he writes are not turned out in 5 minutes. They take care and thought. It wasn't a whim that caused this article to be written. It sounded like conviction to me. From his apology I do not believe that he understands the harm that he did, nor that he has fundamentally changed his mind. It was damage control, pure and simple.

Thanks for listeneing ! ! !

kr

Hello all.

Usually we don't keep threads like this one (singling out an individual ...politics ...attitude...content) on the forum.

This seemed like a special case...so we got to let it run a bit. ;)

Just about everybody that wanted a chance to pile on and vent has had the opportunity to do so. (sorry if you missed out).

We are going to bring this to a close and get back to what the forum is about...helping each other shoot better.

POSTED ON THE NRA'S WEBSITE:

NRA Publications Suspends Ties to Jim Zumbo

Thursday, February 22, 2007

(FAIRFAX, VA) – The following statement was issued by the National Rifle Association of America.

Comments expressed by outdoor writer Jim Zumbo reflect neither the opinions of the National Rifle Association and America’s gun owners, nor are they an accurate portrayal of facts in regard to semi-automatic firearms lawfully owned by millions of citizens. Therefore, NRA Publications has suspended it professional ties with Mr. Zumbo.

The ensuing wave of grassroots response in support of the Second Amendment is a clear indication that America’s gun owners will act swiftly and decisively to counter falsehoods or misrepresentations perpetuated by any member of the media – whether it is one of the major networks or a fellow gun owner.

That depth of feeling and the unanimity of the response from the nation’s firearms owners sends a message to the new Congress. It says that millions of people understand the issue of semi-autos and will resist with an immense singular political will any attempts to create a new ban on semi-automatic firearms.

At the root of this grassroots response is the basic truth that ‘gun control merely makes the innocent pay the price for the guilty’ and our folks fully understand that their rights are at stake. It says that for the enemies of the Second Amendment there is no chance that the kind of divide and conquer propaganda strategy which preceded the 1994 ban on semi-auto firearms will ever succeed again.

It is our hope that Mr. Zumbo will use his energy and talent to help preserve our Second Amendment, America’s First Freedom, by ensuring that no one else falls prey to the tragic demonization of gun owners.

Edited by Big Shooter