Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 1st Match Next Month

billdncn

Just started IDPA last August and really enjoy it. SSP Expert, and certified IDPA SO. I plan on attending my first USPSA match in a few weeks.

Don't know if I'm shooting Limited, or Production yet. Guess I'll be using my G35 since my 16-40's still at the smith. I know Limited is best using major loads, and production only minor is needed. Perhaps I'll just shoot Production with my minor IDPA load, and gear. I don't own any "race" gear......yet :rolleyes:

Aside from no cover garment needed, and higher round counts per stage, what differences may I see at my 1st match?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No tac reloads. Just get it done as fast as you can! Make sure the mags you use can drop free. You don't want to be wasting time pulling them out of the mag well! No use of cover. The plan for the stage should be how to shoot it in the most efficient manner. You'll see. It's fun!

Later,

Chuck

Billdncn

When you get there wait until about half the shooters have signed up and then squad with one of the better shooters. If you have questions, ask. Turtle will be there, Alan Meek, Todd Jarret and a number of others. Fredericksburg generally has 80 to 120 shooters for a monthly match and there's lots of talent to pull from. We even bring shooters up from Blackwater and Sir Walter.

Mike

billdncn,

If you haven't already go to Virginia Maryland website and shoot Tino an email so you can be on his match announcement email list.

Also, plan for 7 stages about 200 rounds.

I will be there along with a whole cast of others so let us know if you need any assistance and feel free to ask any questions

Alan

Bill, be sure you leave the expectations in the truck when you park. Go from there with a 'see what happens' attitude and take this game for what it is. If you do that and don't have fun I would be amazed, it is a game and a great game that is immensely enjoyable and frustrating at the same time. I tell non-shooters all the time that USPSA is like golf with guns, it is really easy to know what to do and when to do it, it is really easy to do all of the component parts of it on the driving (practice) range, but when the rubber meets the road even a crystal ball won't help. You will be a better shooter if you stick with it for a while, freestyle 'go forth and figure it out' shooting is never a bad thing.

Billdncn

When you get there wait until about half the shooters have signed up and then squad with one of the better shooters. If you have questions, ask.

Mike

Thanks. Good idea.

billdncn,

If you haven't already go to Virginia Maryland website and shoot Tino an email so you can be on his match announcement email list.

I will be there along with a whole cast of others so let us know if you need any assistance and feel free to ask any questions

Alan

Alan Thanks. I've been on the list for a few weeks now. Looking foward to meeting you guys.

Dont forget to pick me up ! ! !

Cool! I got a shoot'in partner B)

More then happy to pick you up. I'll contact you soon.

Whatever you shoot try to squad with at least a couple Ms or GMs but don't expect to run like them. You may shoot stages the same way unless there are movers/activators that are new to you. One of the biggest problems we see is new folks who try to go faster than they should at first. And then there is the nervous factor which you may not have since you've done IDPA. One of our guys was so nervous when he first came to the line that he could barely load his gun. He was shaking (he played pro-football and has been a cop for 20 years!) because everybody was watching him...?

Concentration is everything and when you've done well, you will love the experience and look forward to playing again and practicing to do even better!

There will be more than several shooters driving up from Richmond.

Feel free to squad with me if you want, I often shoot with some of the boys from Richmond. Either way it will be a great match, Tino and his crew always put on a good one.

Jeff

In the "for what it's worth category"...

I'm a relative newbie in the sport, and I shot in the Sept match (couldn't make the Oct - out of town). Everyone was very friendly and helpful, and I can't wait for the Fredericksburg matches to start again. I can almost guarantee you'll have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill,

I shot the last couple matches they had last year (my first ones) and like the others have said they are fun and it seems to be a good group of folks. One problem, some of them make you wonder why even bother, but they are fun to watch. If they get you down, come watch me shoot a stage and your spirits will be lifted.

See ya at the 'Creek

SDM

Bill,

some of them make you wonder why even bother, but they are fun to watch. If they get you down, come watch me shoot a stage and your spirits will be lifted.

See ya at the 'Creek

SDM

Hah, after what I saw at the last BC match, if you shoot it weakhand only you'll be fine ;)

It's a bummer March was cancelled at Fred.

See'ya Sat

billdncn,

Alan

Is this for real? 7 stages and 200 rounds? Is that a normal "local" match for you all?

If it is, wholly cow!!!

I might be moving across country if that's the case....

billdncn,

Alan

Is this for real? 7 stages and 200 rounds? Is that a normal "local" match for you all?

If it is, wholly cow!!!

I might be moving across country if that's the case....

Yup. This match is typically anywhere from 150 - 200 rounds. Its a great match.

Angel

Well i reccomend 5 mags on you atleast if not 5 on belt and one in gun.

second.. you will be allowed to think... GASP... your given a stage and in 5 minutes you must figure out how you can shoot it best. IDPA leavees very few options USPSA leaves MANY options when stages are designed in a fun manner.

I love both sports. but i like to give my competitors a chance to lose ground on me.. or vice versa. because of bad decisions.

second.. you will be allowed to think... GASP... your given a stage and in 5 minutes you must figure out how you can shoot it best. IDPA leavees very few options USPSA leaves MANY options when stages are designed in a fun manner.

This.....will be a breath of fresh air :wub:

See ya at the 'Creek

SDM

I talked to Jim and its another theme weekend. Its attack of the dogs. Im leaving Clarice at home for this one...

MVC-001L2.jpg

CLAIRE!

Yeah.....I think I'll leave mine at home too

2-13-07001.jpg

A very un-lady like "Tara" loves watching here favorite channel, Animal Planet

edited due to intoxication :wacko:

Edited by billdncn

The "thinking for yourself" is a nice change. Problem is you can't blame screw-ups on complicated CoF's.

Are those the infamous Russian hounds? :)

Edited by SDM