Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing Reloads

LittlePistol

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it using a search. <_<

I have been practicing my reloads with my Colt (which has no magwell) while I am waiting for my STI (which has a magwell) to get here.

Is this a good idea, or am I at risk of developing a "bad habit" that could affect how I reload a gun with a magwell?

Young people today are just downright mean... I am hurt something terrible by that cold and insensitive jab at my advancing years...(insert tear in eye icon)... :rolleyes:

If you are loading a single stack with no magwell you are truly learning to "look" the mag into the gun. It's all good! :)

Listen to Merlin. He may be older than dirt, but he's right! :P

Edited by Merlin Orr

Magwell or not, my weakness was the guns angle and location. I put a little white dot up inside the well, about 1-1/4" or so. It forces me to "look" the mag in. Seeing where to go with the reload has REALLY helped me in the speed department. My G35 has a magwell and my G17 doesn't. Practicing with the 17 has made reloads the strongest aspect of my rather sad and tragic game.

Jim

In my opinion...the most important thing is to practice with the same equipment you use in the match.

If you shoot in competition with a magwell...you should be practicing with a magwell.

The more consistent you can make EVERY aspect of your game...the less there is to potentially go wrong.

In my opinion...the most important thing is to practice with the same equipment you use in the match.

If you shoot in competition with a magwell...you should be practicing with a magwell.

The more consistent you can make EVERY aspect of your game...the less there is to potentially go wrong.

I really do believe that a smaller opening would force an increase in concentration....But a glaring fact here is that while I as a struggling B shooter may think what I will when a GM offers advise on how to play the game we lesser mortals should pay damned close attention. :)

Does anyone have some good videos of some warpspeed singlestack reloads? I'm thinking along the lines of the ubiquitous Open gun Travis Tomasie video, etc...

The mechanics are the same, just keep watching Travis.

Er, so your theory is that it'd be bad if any videos of fast singlestack reloads were to see the light of day? :lol: Gimme the videos, dammit. (I kid, I kid)

Does anyone have some good videos of some warpspeed singlestack reloads? I'm thinking along the lines of the ubiquitous Open gun Travis Tomasie video, etc...

With Angus apparently shooting SS now, I'm sure something will surface shortly...

The mechanics are the same, just keep watching Travis.

Er, so your theory is that it'd be bad if any videos of fast singlestack reloads were to see the light of day? :lol: Gimme the videos, dammit. (I kid, I kid)

LMAO, not bad, but I don't see the purpose being the mechanics are the same.

:)

Just talk Travis into dong a SS video for ya. ;)

• 1 month later...

I shoot a production gun with a 4.5 lbs trigger and a factory beveled magwell...

I often practice with an identical gun, except no beveled magwell and a 6.5 lbs trigger. If anything, I think it makes me better.

YMMV

Is this a good idea, or am I at risk of developing a "bad habit" that could affect how I reload a gun with a magwell?

Far from it. IMO this can only help you. Doing a good, fast reload with a single stack with no mag well requires absolute precision. Do that for awhile, get good at it, and when you do get a mag well it'll be like taking off clodhoppers and putting on track shoes. By contrast, if all you've ever worked out with is a mag well, no mag well will be a hard nut to crack. My advice: keep practicing with that Colt.

I purchased an STI Trojan 5.0 (so I can practice 'safe' shooting) and wasn't having a problem reloading (no magwell).

The gun came with a disappointing plastic MSH, so I ordered the STI MSH and mag well (the same as on the Sentinel), I didn't see any change to my reloads, but I really liked the 'cool' factor of the magwell. I'm pleased with the gun and the fit and finish of the MSH and magwell are great. I had to shorten the screw a wee bit to tighten the magwell to the MSH.

Far from it. IMO this can only help you. Doing a good, fast reload with a single stack with no mag well requires absolute precision. Do that for awhile, get good at it, and when you do get a mag well it'll be like taking off clodhoppers and putting on track shoes. By contrast, if all you've ever worked out with is a mag well, no mag well will be a hard nut to crack. My advice: keep practicing with that Colt.

I practice reloads with the gun with the smalles mag hole I have..

I practice trigger controle with the gun with the crappiest trigger pull I have...

I practice seeing the front sight with gun with the crappiest sights....

When I go to shoot it's amazing how much easier it is. ;)

I reloaded a single stack for 3 decades with no magwell, then used a magwell for 5 or so years once they were invented (or I became aware of them ;) ). When I switched to a Para with an Ice magwell the mag changes were totally effortless.

Jake is of course correct, but you don't have your STI yet to practice with, and I don't believe what you're doing could possibly be worse than not practicing reloads at all until your STI arrives.

• 1 month later...

Seems to me that the mag well is to make a mistake less costly. They aren't really designed to have your mag bounce off them every single reload. I don't think Travis was banging his mags off the side of the mag well in his video. That wouldn't be smooth. Practice with what you are going to shoot, definitely not with a bigger mag well like the ICE if you're not going to use it in the match. If you practice with a small one and shoot with a big one, your margin for error will be huge!