Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 627-5 Owner

Drachen27

I've been lurking for awhile, and I've come away with alot of good information, but this is my first posting.

I've just purchases a 627-5 in .357magnum. I had purchased some moon clips from Brownells while waiting for the gun to come in, and it came with 3 from S&W.

I own a 625, 610 and 646 which all take moon clips but I found loading the 627 moonclips to be both alot more difficult, and the results alot more varied.

Some of the clips loaded fine, and slip into the gun with ease. Some loaded okay, but it seems I have to jiggle them a bit to get them to go into the gun. Some were the devil to load and even harder to get into the gun (but all eventually went in with enough jiggleing). Surprisingly, I found the clips from S&W to be the best.

Are Hearthco moonclips really worth the added expense? From what I see from TkCustoms, they are nearly double the money.

I paid attention to what type of cases I was loading, and it seemed Federals went the easiest. I couldn't really tell which ones gave me the worse time.

In reading the forums, I think I read where it's possible to shoot .38 supers out of the .357. Is that right? Does anythin have to be done to the gun itself, or do I just use the .38 super moonclips and I'm in business? Do they shoot well? Would I be any better off or should I just stick to .357 loads?

I plain to use it for a local IDPA-like competition (yeah I know it isn't legal for the real IDPA). Anything I should know or do to be ready for competition?

Regarding moon clips, I just shot my 627 for its first match this past weekend. I used Ranch Products moon clips ($75 for 100 clips). When I was testing various loads with range brass, I found that not every combination would work. However, using all Starline or Remington brass works flawlessly. PMC doesn't seem to work at all. Winchester brass also doesn't work so well.

With my 625s, I never sorted brass, and they all worked just fine. The 627 seems much pickier, but with Starline, i haven't had any issues.

I can tell a huge difference between the Hearthco's and the clips I bought from Brownell's for my 627. There is almost no jiggle with the Hearthco's. All of the mixed brass I have really takes some work to get in the clip without a tool of some sort.

I have Hearthco clips and Brownell Clips. By using only RP brass, I can use either moonclips in my 627. The Hearthco need the RP brass or Starline. I found Federal, RP and Starline work fine in the clips from Brownell.

You asked if the Hearthco are worth the investment. Depends on how serious you plan to get with this. I use them for matches only and practice with the others. Would I buy them again?? I don't think so. Although very well made and holding the rounds real well, they are just too expensive to have some bottom feeder step on. I will probably polish them up and make jewelry out of them :rolleyes:

Regards,

With the 625 "regular" moonclips will do fine. The Hearthco's help a bit but you can live without them in the 45.

And on to the 627. The Hearthco is what would be called a premium product. They cost and they perform. If a man is going to shoot a 627 in competition the Hearthco's are the way to go. You run Hearthco moonclips with Remington or Federal Brass. I run exclusively Remington unless I shoot factory Federal's in a match. If a good(fast) reload is not a major item for you then run whatever moonclips are around. But if your intent is to be competitive on the reloads then Hearthco's are the way to do it. I doubt there is a top revolver shooter that does not run Hearthco's. That could be overstating it but I don't think so.

You might also do a search because this has been well covered in the past on this forum.

The problem I have found with 38 special brass is the depth of the groove the moon clip goes in. If you stick to Remington or Starline brass it will eliminate that problem. As previously posted if you are a serious competitor use Heathco moon clips for competition and the cheap ones for practice. If not just use the cheap ones and cull the ones you have a problem with.

I use 38 Short Colt brass in my 627, they make for fast reloads. They won't work for USPSA shoots because you can't load them to major PF, but they are great for ICORE.

I second Jaxshooter,

Find one type of brass and stick with it. Brass is the variable more than the moonclips.

I also use Starline. Get a couple thousand and they should last for a very long time at 120pf.

I got a chance to look at Doug Cardens tricked out 627. He was using .38 Short? Colt cases and Hearthco clips. Let me tell you they don't have any wiggle and looked about as perfect a combo as you could get.

If I could find one I'd definitely get it after seeing his.

Dave Hearth will send you one of his moonclips for evaluation before you buy. That's what I did. I read about how great they were, but I wanted to see for myself before laying out the cash. Once I tried it, it was obviously so superior to the Brownells clips that I immediately placed my order and haven't looked back since.

Dave Hearth will send you one of his moonclips for evaluation before you buy. That's what I did. I read about how great they were, but I wanted to see for myself before laying out the cash. Once I tried it, it was obviously so superior to the Brownells clips that I immediately placed my order and haven't looked back since.

I've tried contacting Dave through email and PM through the forum and haven't recieved a reply to either.

Dave Hearth seems to be hard to get ahold of right now for some reason. Maybe he'll read the forum and pop back from wherever he's been. I picked up 10 of the Brownells clips for use for practice for my 627-5, but I fully intend to use the Hearthco clips soon as I can get them. I'm using Federal Nickle 38 spl brass and it seems works fine in the clips I received from Brownells.

One method I've observed people using to clip their ammo is to use needle nosed pliers to click them into the moon and then one of those brass removal devices that Brownells or TK custom sell where you twist the brass off the moon. It seems to be about the best method going.

With my 610 I specifically use only the RIMZ clips due to the fact that I don't need tools. I just broke the first one, but I attribute the recent cold snap to it's brittleness. I kept the snapped on in anticipation of future breaks since I can now make them into 1/3 moons (2 rounds each) until the fully break on me.

Vince

Are Hearthco moonclips really worth the added expense? From what I see from TkCustoms, they are nearly double the money.

I THINK THEY ARE :) I had over 60 TK Custom moon clip (.22 inch) and had constant problems. All the holes were different sizes and the space between them were different. The clip itself was thin and unstable causing the bullets to wobbel and therefore not align when loading. I had to use them ONLY for LOAD AND MAKE READY, going back to my COMP III for ongoing loading. My gun now belongs to my friend. He had the same problems with the moon clips I gave him. He has since gone to Hearthco moon clips and loves them. He said they are thicker and all the holes are aligned alowing loading to be more like that on the 625 with the moon clips at .45 inch. and stable.

TK Custom carries Dave's Hearthco moons for the 627.

It may be that Dave is not able to send out freebies. I don't think most folks would expect a company to send out free magazaine samples for a semi, why expect free moons for revolvers?

Did Randy and Dave run off together, or what??

Sorry guys. My real job is real busy right now and my time to cut clips has been limited to barely meeting TK's needs. I have more matl being prepped for 625s and standard 627, but time is tight. Sorry, Dave :wacko:

TK Custom carries Dave's Hearthco moons for the 627.

It may be that Dave is not able to send out freebies. I don't think most folks would expect a company to send out free magazaine samples for a semi, why expect free moons for revolvers?

Viggen just so you know Dave was the one that offered to send out a free sample.

When it comes to a moonclip that costs many times more than another brand that seems to work fine, a sample goes a long way towards getting me to commit a few hundred dollars to buy a couple dozen.

I would call that a smart marketing practice.

Did Randy and Dave run off together, or what??

Sorry guys. My real job is real busy right now and my time to cut clips has been limited to barely meeting TK's needs. I have more matl being prepped for 625s and standard 627, but time is tight. Sorry, Dave :wacko:

Thanks for the reply Dave, It sucks when our real jobs get in the way doesnt it! :D

For what it is worth, I really recomend using Hearthco clips in matches that you think are important(Yes I think they are that good and make a difference).

And he also sent me a sample prior to me getting some, but once I saw,I had to have. :wub:

for you good folks' info:

Hearthco:

805-344-4850

dhearth@hotmail.com

Hopalong