Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need To Drill Slide...

boo radley

In my new-to-me 2nd-gen G24, the hole in the frame, to provide access to the front sight, is significantly smaller in diameter than my 3rd-gen G35 (and other 3rd-gen Glocks I've owned).

I need to be able to get in there with a decent sight tool (nut-driver, ideally) and really put some pressure on the screw that secures the Dawson front sight. I'm tired of the sight getting loose and wiggling about.

Since there's already an existing hole, I'm hoping: to enlarge it, any old drill bit will work...any specific pitfalls, or tips?

I *did* turn down the Dawson sight tool in almost exactly the manner you describe, a couple days ago.

The socket ended up being paper-thin by the time I could get it into the hole, and the aluminum stripped almost immediately when I put some pressure on the screw. Flex, you got this to work on a 2nd gen gun?? I assume all the 2nd gen Glocks have this same issue...

I *did* turn down the Dawson sight tool in almost exactly the manner you describe, a couple days ago.

The socket ended up being paper-thin by the time I could get it into the hole, and the aluminum stripped almost immediately when I put some pressure on the screw. Flex, you got this to work on a 2nd gen gun?? I assume all the 2nd gen Glocks have this same issue...

Maybe take some measurements for us ?

And, what are you talking about being aluminum...the nut driver ? Mine is steel. I think I got mine form Brownell's (but I've had it long enough that I'm not sure of that).

You can also try some epoxy on the base of the front sight and glue it down to the top of the slide. Then locktite the threads. Maybe this combination will keep the front sight tight if you can't get a tool in to really ratchet the sight down.

Boo, I have three different front sight nut drivers from three different companies. They are not all made the same. Order a steel nut driver, Aero-tec, like Singlestack said. The provided Dawson driver is aluminium, and after you shave it down it will strip like a dancer for a dollar.

I wouldn't go after the slide until trying a couple of different $35 nut drivers.

Edited by SA Friday

I wouldn't go after the slide until trying a couple of different $35 nut drivers.

Yeah...Ok, here's the deal, with photos included.

#1) Right now the sight is secure, but not tight. It wiggles, and drives me crazy. I would settle for just having it secure. So I can use it for the next couple weeks.

#2) I notice that there's not a nice recess around the screw, even if I *did* have the proper size nut-driver. Look at the difference between the G35, with a Sevigny sight, and the G24.

#3) Ain't no way I can effectively shave down a real socket. I guess I'll try the Aero-Tek tool. Might as well order the Sevigny front sight, which I know is "3/16", anyway. I'm not so sure about this Dawson, and the aluminum tool is too stripped to measure.

sight1.jpg

sight2.jpg

sight3.jpg

I got one made by Wheeler Engineering ( www.wheelerengineering.com ). Part number 622570. Not sure where I got it ........ Brownells ???

It measures 0.240" OD and it has a hex-head shank that fits into any screw-driver that accepts replaceable bits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting tid-bit from Brownells.com

FRONT SIGHT TOOL for GLOCK®

Mfr: ED BROWN

Easily Removes/Installs Glock Front Sights

Fits the small, hex head screw that holds Glock aftermarket sights in place. Makes installing replacement sights or removing sights for maintenance easier with less chance of damage. Hex shank fits Magna-Tip® screwdrivers. Not for use with 6" slides.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Thx all -- yeah, the tool needs to be < .230".

The thing that's bothering me more than finding a slim enough tool (and it sounds like some are out there) is how thin-walled it must be to properly handle a 3/16" screw. The diameter of the recess barely allows for the screw head, much less the socket-tool.

So I'm wonder even if I buy the right tool, if I won't still have the same problem -- not being able to snug the screw up tight?

Right now, since I used red LocTite, the sight's not going anywhere, but it can shift slightly, from side to side. I'm wondering if I dribble some more LocTite in around the sides, if that will hold it....Any epoxies that can stand up to heat and stress from firing?

I just finished turning down a nutdriver for a friend's G34. I would assume the hole are the same size. If you want, go buy a $5.00 nutdriver at home depot and mail it to me. I would be happy to pop it in the lathe for you.

Very kind of you, but unfortunately the G34's access hole is much larger in diameter.

OK -- problem resolved, kinda.

A couple places out there sell special 3/16" tools. I wasn't wild about spending a lot of money, and CustomGlockRacing has a steel one for $5, but the person I spoke to said he had no way of knowing if it would work with a 24 or not, but if I wanted to gamble $5, that was fine... :blink:

Next, I called Glock in Smyrna. Learned an interesting tid-bit -- all the 24's and 17L's have small access holes: it's not a 2nd vs. 3rd generation thing. He said they had a tool that would work, but it would probably take 5 weeks to get to me, and I'd be better off finding a gunstore that would install the sights for me, rather than buying an expensive tool.

Then, called Aro-Tek. Super-nice people; as Single-Stack says, the nut-drivers they sell are expressly made to accomodate this issue; they've very familiar with it. Also, the more expensive tool is guaranteed for life; he said it's not unusual for it to get damaged, because the socket wall has to be so thin.

I ordered one -- $25 is cheap piece of mind for this issue.

In the meantime, dribbled a bit more red Loctite around the base of the front sight, and set a weight on top. Right now it's on there pretty well -- should get me through a match this weekend, and if it comes loose, the proper sight tool should be here next week.

Steve

I know nothing about glocks so this may not be possible, but looking at those pics, I think I would have just taken a dremel cut off wheel and added a slot to that hex head suitable for an ordinary screwdriver. Would that not have worked?

John

The 3/16 bolt is really thin, maybe .040". Cutting a slot might work or it might weaken the bolt.

Boo, I told you abut the glock. Now go back to your 1911. :D Now playing the game of shooting and being your own gunsmith means you have to buy tools that cost too much just so you can use them once. Then sell the glock so you have no further use for the tool. See ya saturday at the match.. :lol: