Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 2 Desert Classic results

Max Michel won Open (K.C. 4 points behind!); Taran Butler won Limited.

Best match I've been to this year. 370+ other competitors might agree.

Far better than 2000 and 2001 A2DC matches. It ran more efficiently, due in no small part to not doubling up stages on the public rifle range.

Only one of the ten stages kind of sucked (the narrow ports of stage 6). The rest were good to great. However, it lacked a single speed shoot or standards, shameful for an Area championship. Smallest stage was 16 rounds, most were in the 20s to 30s. A little too much of "start in an awkward position, get your gun, then run to the targets" for me. A lot too much hosing for me; not enough long targets. One jungle run up-the-wash stage is enough for me; they had three.

I shot with the estrogen squad again (!?). Turns out I'm pretty evenly matched with them with a foo-foo gun. Lisa Munson had gun trouble. Doni Johnston was poetry in motion, with a smooth, graceful, and flowing shooting style. (She was first lady in Open.)

There was some weird shjt going on with results. The Open results were obviously done in EzWinScore and were copacetic. The Limited results, combined with L.10, Prod., and Rev., were combined and obviously printed from Excel or another spreadsheet. WTF?!? AFAIK, they all went to the Limited prize table.

Foreign shooters took advantage of the classification system and ripped apart both A Open and A Limited.

My foo-foo gun ran great, not the slightest hiccup, and with untested springs and followers in the mags. I shot two misses, but generally slow and inaccurate compared to my normal slow and accurate foo-foo blasting. The big thing is I know exactly what I've been doing wrong to miss so much at the other matches.

I finally met benos but I forgot to ask him what happened to his hair. I missed kellyn again. I beat shred in A Open!

Actually Max won by 11.  Angus had a bad last day with 2 misses but shot some impressive stages (damn fast).  I thought the match went really smooth, the stages were a lot of fun, and the prize table is still the best out of all Area matches.  The competition was great.  I bombed one stage and ended up with 4 misses total.  I still went up for a 3rd Open Master.  

Rob did shoot an XD in 9mm.

Sorry I did not meet you Erik, I was licking my wounds after my barrel link broke on my first shot on stage 4 leaving me with a bolt action pistol ona 24 round stage.  never quite recovered from it.

I thought it was a better match than last year's Classic and they had quite a prize table - standard operating procedure for Rio!  There were a lot of run n gun stages but at least they had some accuracy-oriented shots.  

I had the privilege of shooting on the super squad with Rob.  He shot some stages faster with his XD than all of the top limited shooters with 2-3 reloads and a stock gun.  I took 2nd place in production which i don't feel too bad about considering my competition.  I also got to meet brian enos!  It was a great match.

Dave Erickson

Yeah, it was fun. We left saying "I'll be back next year.." And we had a 60+ second faceplant, a DQ and zeroed stage amongst the three of us.

Erik gets the win on me this time, but only 'cause he's sandbagging in A and I had the zero (ok, it wasn't _quite_ a zero-- more on that in the 'what I screwed up' forum)

Meeting BE was cool as well, though I missed the shindig.

The stages were fun, but definately RUN-n-gun. Enough hard cover to make you work.

- (kept trying to think of a 'Confucious Say..' for Brian's head..)

Yes, I didn't hear anything negative about the match whatsoever. Everyone loved the stages, the people, the ROs, the prize table, and especially the weather. It was one beautiful weekend.

The only thing I wished was that we (forumers) could have hung out more. I guess everybody has a pretty tight agenda going on though. I looked for the illusive Erik for two days before he finally found me on day 3. I tried to find Kelly for you Erik, but by the time I did I couldn't find you!

And I'd say The Great One was fairly great with the XD - 11th overall in Limited, shooting minor, 10 rd mags, short barrel and slippery grips with no mods whatsoever. Not bad for an old dude.

And then, at the opposite end - what about K C Eusibio coming in second in Open by only 11 points! What is he, about three feet tall?! He said, I'm guessing for the first time ever, he decided to shoot points and see how he came out. I'm sure that's a lesson he won't soon forget. And woe to everyone three feet and up.

And Tarran Butler finished the season on a roll - rock-solid at the Nats, punked The Great One at the Infinity Open, and then womped everyone at the DC. Nice work wild man!

be

I agree with Erik, it was a great match and great weather to go with it.

What I don't understand about the scores is, according to the match results in the window, I was 2nd 'B' Limited, 35th overall, 69%.  USPSA match results has me at 3rd 'B' Limited, 36th overall, 75.27%.

How did I get bumped down and raise my score at the same time??

I did score a cool S&W 22A off the prize table though.  First time I ever won a gun at a match.  

Brian,

We saw you hanging out alot around stage 3,4,5.  Was too intimidated to actually say 'Hi'.  Maybe next time.

This was my first match at Rio since the '91 Ernie Hill. The biggest change I noticed was all the running! 'Course someone only 2 years from Senior WOULD notice that eh?

Having only shot for 4 months, after a 10 year layoff, I was very happy with my 55th overall. Only crashed and burned on one stage, and stage #10 was my best/highest finish?!?!

Next time I'll have a classification...

(Edited by wmiller45 at 8:45 am on Nov. 12, 2002)

Chris, the Limited results posted at the window were done with a spreadsheet, combined divisions, and totally bogus. It seems they posted official EzWinScore results on the USPSA results page.

Hey I passed up a gun on the Open prize table and got some Dillon electronic ears. Somebody snagged the new Holosight just before me. I counted 22 guns and 6 frames on the Open table, 34 guns and an unknown number of frames on the Limited table.

Why did you pass up a gun on the Open table?  Was it some non kalifornia compliant blaster?

I'm still happy with 3rd place, since I shot like a blind paraplegic with a sprained ankle on half the stages.  Heck, I didn't even engage a target on 2 of the stages.

I don't want to pay $20 shipping plus a $50 transfer fee for a $200 Smith .22 auto. (I'll bet my Buckmark will shoot circles around it.)

I'll have to admit Open seems more competitive than Limited. I had only two misses, dropped a few too many points, had some mediocre times, but they chewed me up and spit me out in 35th, way down in A class, 75%. I think that kind of performance woulda got me in the top 16 in Limited.

Ya, open is WAY more competitive, that explains my 83rd place, not the fact that my gun stopped on 6 stages, my mag fell out on one and I basically sucked out loud.  Nope, open is way more competitive.

Congrats Taran.  Does he read on this list?  I wish I could've been there to try and save some face.  You've been beating up on me lately.  I want a rematch.....for the last two matches!!!  Sounded like a good time, and 150+ Limited Shooters!  That's great.   If Taran keeps using his sights, I may have to start shooting open.   HA!  There's a scary thought!

Quote: from gmshtr on 7:13 pm on Nov. 12, 2002

If Taran keeps using his sights, I may have to start shooting open.   HA!  There's a scary thought!

I don't know Phil can you handle a guy 1/4th your height beating you. KC only shoots Open.