Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Nationals

Zerwas

Hello all,

I have been thinking about shooting the IDPA nationals for the last couple of years.

Problem is, I heard you have to shoot "qualifying" large area matches before going to the nationals.

I don't have the opportunity to drive all over the country to attend these major matches.

Would it matter if I have shot the USPSA nationals for 2 years now?

I would imagine they are looking for folks that have a fair amount of shooting experience before they just step onto the nationals stage. I can understand this logic. I am classified expert in SSP, ESP and CDP (although I haven't shot a classifier in about 1.5 years). I am a master class shooter in USPSA's limited and open divisions. The only reason I bring this up is I am a rather seasoned competitor and I'm not sure if that makes any difference to the upper management for IDPA.

I'd appreciate if those "in the know" could advise....

Thanks!!! :D

TRP,

I am not one of those "in the know" but here is what I understand.

You have to be a current member at the time of the match (similar to USPSA)

You have only to have shot in 2 IDPA Major matches prior to sending your entry and the previous IDPA Nationals (results from each or a copy of a stage scoresheet from each required at the time of entry) No SLOTS required.

Also according to the new rules, you must have shot a classifier in the previous year.

Hope you can find a couple of matches close by, and you can go to the Nats....

I hope to get there this year finally..........after it has left being only 4 hours from me for the last 3. :(

Hopalong

You have to shoot two Sanctioned matches. Those are usually, but not always, State Championship matches. You do not have to shoot the Classifier if you are a Master. Anything below that level does.

Go ahead and call IDPA HQ and tell them that you have shot USPSA Nats and that should be good enough, I should be able to hear the laughter from down here. :lol:

I'd be willing to bet this approach has worked for SOME people..... :blink:

Edited by TRP-Professional

Go ahead and call IDPA HQ and tell them that you have shot USPSA Nats and that should be good enough, I should be able to hear the laughter from down here. :lol:

In addition to what Matt said ... make sure they are aware that you are an IPSC shooter and a close personal friend of Taran Butler. Make sure you drop Taran's name and you will get right in and get the "special" treatment ... :P

In addition to what Matt said ... make sure they are aware that you are an IPSC shooter and a close personal friend of Taran Butler. Make sure you drop Taran's name and you will get right in and get the "special" treatment ... :P

Well, Taran had no problems this year.

His report on his experience is about 10 minutes into radio show 15 (9/27/06) on Matt Burkett's website.

If you are an USPSA/IPSC shooter that doesn't want to shoot IDPA, then don't shoot it. But, please keep the negative banter to a minimum.

Brian's Forum is about improving our shooting. With that in mind, I'm sure we can all find plenty topics that fit our needs.

Thanks,

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

I shot the IDPA Nationals this past year and to be candid I was underwhelmed. The SO's/RO's were good, solid match officials. I suppose what I was most disappointed in (besides my shooting) was that for a match of this level that there wasn't more movers, swingers and animation. The Carolina Cups is ten times the fun and challenge. I have no axe to grind here but merely giving one shooters opinion.

I shot the IDPA Nationals this past year and to be candid I was underwhelmed. The SO's/RO's were good, solid match officials. I suppose what I was most disappointed in (besides my shooting) was that for a match of this level that there wasn't more movers, swingers and animation. The Carolina Cups is ten times the fun and challenge. I have no axe to grind here but merely giving one shooters opinion.

I think the IDPA Nationals has always been designed so local clubs coulld take the stages home and set them up at their local club with a minimum of expensive props.

TRP-Pro, just find 2 close state or regional IDPA matches to shoot before you send in your ap for the IDPA Nats. I don't think the USPSA thing will fly. :unsure:

How many Model 10's will show up??? B) Should be a good time.

How many Model 10's will show up??? Should be a good time.
At least two, and Hop's got a 10-6 if he makes it. Actually, I bet every revolver shooter has at least one, and so do a bunch of those who shoot bottomfeeders.

Bill, which two are you going to shoot. (When and where?) I haven't seen any info for OH and WV yet ?

In the past, the time for matches was from June 1 last year to June 31 this year. We are going to hopefully use the Carolina Cup from last year and this year. If not then we will probably shoot Maryland. Illinois also has a good match and is a couple of hours closer for you. Lots of good matches within a one day drive of Ohio.

I haven't heard anything about OH or WV either.

Flex, like Bill says, the guys up at Havana put on a good match twice a year. The Illinois State Match is usually the 3rd Sunday in May. Come on over, we'll be there

Jerry

Dang. I'd hate to think that those are the two closest matches. That really, in effect, raises the cost to shoot the Nationals quite a bit. Those are pretty good hurdles to get over.

Remember that after your first Nationals, the next year you'll only need to shoot one other "local" sanctioned match to be eligible for the following year's... in that Nats itself counts as a sanctioned match.

If anyone is having a difficult time getting to some state matches let me know I will post my Visa card number and exp. date.

Joe...when you said you were going to Glocks and getting rid of your 1911s I suspected you were becoming unbalanced. :wacko: After this post... I council you to seek professional help... ;)