Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Prices, Where To Buy?

Brendan M

At a recent match I saw WWB .40 SW in the 100 round Value Pack. I didn’t realize it was sold this way so it started me rethinking my soon to be made Glock 34(9mm) purchase. Maybe I could go with a Glock 35(.40 SW), even though I don’t reload (and don’t want to start until I buy my new house maybe a year or more away)?

So off to the nearest Wal-Mart I went to price WWB .40 SW; $19.98 + 8% sales tax per box. I’ll stick to the Glock 34 for my new steel gun.

What was more interesting is WWB Value Pack 9mm was $14.56 + tax today 1/23/07.

At a different Wal-Mart about 10 miles from the first one and about a block from my big gun club I bought 10 boxes of WWB Value Pack 9mm for $12.88 + tax on 1/3/07; a 13% price difference. The $12.88 price reflected an increase of about 10% from the old price at the same Wal-Mart. I asked and the guy at the store said prices had gone up across the board a couple of weeks earlier.

So I have several questions.

Have other people experienced ammo price increases?

Have other people experienced this price fluctuation from store to store with Wal-Mart?

If you know, what exactly do you pay for WWB Value Pack (100 rounds) 9mm without tax?

Is there a cheaper way to get WWB Value Pack 9mm? (I’m will to buy a lot at one time to save money in the long run. I’m also willing to group purchase with other shooters in my area for a really big order to save money.)

This could become a general nationwide price check/ammo purchasing discussion. If you’re interested in other calibers please speak up. I only own a 9mm so that’s what I know.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Brendan

Yup, ammo and components are going up and putting a drain on all of our wallets. The bullets I reload with just went up 10% this month. FYI, another option for 9mm is Monarch "green box" from Academy, if you've got a store near you. $5.86 per box of 50 and it shoots softer, burns cleaner than WWB in my opinion. You can get it in other calibers, but I've only tried 9mm. It's cheap enough that I don't bother doing loads for Production right now. If you're shooting factory stuff to accumulate the brass for reloading later, WWB is nicer brass.

At a recent match I saw WWB .40 SW in the 100 round Value Pack. I didn’t realize it was sold this way so it started me rethinking my soon to be made Glock 34(9mm) purchase. Maybe I could go with a Glock 35(.40 SW), even though I don’t reload (and don’t want to start until I buy my new house maybe a year or more away)?

Bass Pro Shops/Outdoor World sells 250 round value packs of Remington UMC for both .40 and 9mm. When they run a sale, they're as cheap as anything I've found. Rumor has it, that their 9mm factory rounds are cheaper than reloading them yourself. That probably is true if you don't have to pay for brass. Lucky for us reloaders, both 9mm and .40 brass are often readily available for free.

Lee

Man, you aren't kidding about prices skyrocketing for ammo and components. If it weren't for having a lot on the shelf that I bought at reasonable prices, I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot! Primers (small winchester pistol) are up from $72 to $84 for 5K for our clubs group purchase, and bullets have gone up anywhere from 20-30%. Powder has only experienced a mild increase, but the cost of lead and steel is absolutely nuts. I've heard everything from "the military demand" (causing the military surplus stuff to dry up and their component needs to take presidence) to the "chinese driving the lead and steel demand through the roof" (due to their taking a lot off the world market). Either way, it spells higher prices for components. The only good news is that gas is going down a bit in my neck of the woods. Hopefully that trend continues...otherwise, its all club matches for yours truly.

As for the group purchase thing, it is a good idea if you all live close together (where everybody drives to a centalized pick-up point), otherwise shipping costs are going to kill you when you have to redistribute it. The shipping is key, as well as quantity. You need both to bring the cost down enough to make it worthwhile. I often get the delivery since I have a shop with a forklift, and then people either come to my place to get it, or I load it in the truck and bring it to the next club meeting.

Good Luck!!! ;)

Edited by Barrettone

Bass Pro Shops/Outdoor World sells 250 round value packs of Remington UMC for both .40 and 9mm. When they run a sale, they're as cheap as anything I've found.
I forgot to reply to this. Lee, what do they usually sell for on sale? I notice online they are advertising it at $40/250 for 9mm. Do they ever get up to 25% off sales on ammo?

I'm over on the east coast of Florida. If you ever see a huge sale like that, send me a private message and I'll drive over for a few thousand rounds. :D

I don't own a 9mm so I have no idea what those prices are now, but I did buy a couple of boxes of WWB .40 two weeks ago and it was $17.98 at Wal-Mart. I'll be going past there tomorrow so if I have time I'm going to check the current price. I reload for all my guns, but wanted to see if a new gun would run with factory ammo so the WWB worked out well...and the gun does run on it. I had to laugh when I stopped at the Sportsman's Warehouse today. I checked the price on new brass and Win .40 cases were $14.95 per hundred. Heck for three more dollars you can get loaded ammo...what are they thinking???

If you see good deals, buy as much as you can. If the big boxes are listing it under old prices, don't wait, buy. Ammo will never be as cheap again.

There was a huge increase at the wholesale level around the first of the year. Some of the brands went up close to 35%. One of our main ammo suppliers is telling us that there will be another increase sometime in the spring.

Academy still has Monarch green box for $5.86 per box of 50 as of yesterday. Soft shooting and cleaner than WWB, IMO. Last I checked it, I got 126PF out of a Glock 17. Too close to use at a major match, but it works fine for club matches.