Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manufacturers At A Sanctioned Idpa Match

Hot Brass

After collecting data on what guns people shoot at our state match, I thought I would share it. Not sure there is any real significance to this, but you may find it interesting. This chart does not contain anything more than the manufacturer's name.

I would venture to say that this is fairly typical for the sanctioned matches that I have shot. There were a total of 173 shooters at this match.

Gun%20Mfg.gif

Is there anyway for you to sort out how many of the Glock shooters were in SSP vs ESP. We had a pretty good discussion recently about the XD and it's exclusion from SSP because it was SA. In my neck of the woods SSP is probably 80% Glocks.

Is there anyway for you to sort out how many of the Glock shooters were in SSP vs ESP. We had a pretty good discussion recently about the XD and it's exclusion from SSP because it was SA. In my neck of the woods SSP is probably 80% Glocks.

This is quick and dirty, but it should give you some idea:

MFG Div #

----------------------------------

Beretta SSP 3

Caspian CDP 1

Caspian ESP 3

Colt CDP 4

CZ SSP 2

Glock CDP 7

Glock ESP 8

Glock SSP 60

H&K ESP 1

H&K SSP 1

Kimber CDP 14

Kimber ESP 3

Les Baer CDP 5

Les Baer ESP 1

Millenium Custom ESP 1

Nighthawk CDP 1

Other CDP 2

Para Ordinance ESP 5

SigArms CDP 1

SigArms ESP 1

SigArms SSP 3

Smith & Wesson CDP 2

Smith & Wesson ESR 4

Smith & Wesson SSP 3

Smith & Wesson SSR 4

Springfield Armory CDP 9

Springfield Armory ESP 7

Springfield Armory ESR 1

STI CDP 1

STI ESP 9

Valtro CDP 1

Wilson Combat CDP 2

By quick count Glock represented 60 out of the 72 shooters in SSP at your state match. I wonder if a gun is so strong that it represents 83% of the shooters in one division if it is healthy for the sport in the long run.

Sorry for the thread drift but it isn't often you get the gun stats from a state match and your match tracks with what I have observed here in the NE.

I think Bill should outlaw Glocks from IDPA. They win too many Divisions and Classes. What is going to happen when Glock finally comes out with the G36 Tactical? Will CDP become single action only? I really like the pre-production G36T I am testing.

By quick count Glock represented 60 out of the 72 shooters in SSP at your state match. I wonder if a gun is so strong that it represents 83% of the shooters in one division if it is healthy for the sport in the long run.

Sorry for the thread drift but it isn't often you get the gun stats from a state match and your match tracks with what I have observed here in the NE.

From my experience, that 80% about mirrors Glock's hold on the full size service pistol market. In that particular niche, Glock has dominated for a dozen or so years. Looking at it from another angle, Glock's price and delivery to the retail dealer has been consistent for over a decade as well. I know of no other manufacturer in the firearm industry with the same level of consistency in regards to price.

After collecting data on what guns people shoot at our state match, I thought I would share it. Not sure there is any real significance to this, but you may find it interesting. This chart does not contain anything more than the manufacturer's name.

I would venture to say that this is fairly typical for the sanctioned matches that I have shot. There were a total of 173 shooters at this match.

Gun%20Mfg.gif

do you have any information on which holsters were used?

thanks,

BM

good to know that i was in the 4% class...as it went along with my standings as well :P

i like stuff like this..but will anybody get to see that much support from the manufactures???

the 2 times i was at the nationals, i would have thought it would be like a mini shot show or at least something you would see at knob creek....it would be awsome if we had 50 to 100 manufactures show up ..........

Springfield Armory ESR 1
HUH???? What kind of revolver does SA have? News to me...although I've been clueless before... :P

Strange that the CZs were in SSP, rather than ESP. I know you can shoot them in both, I just think of them as cocked-and-locked guns. And no BHPs...

Glocks are inexpensive, decently accurate, reliable (in stock form, anyway), mags are cheap and accessories are plentiful. These factors apparently outweigh the lousy human engineering and butt-ugliness. :D I think the S&W M&P's success is going to make serious inroads on Glock's SSP (and USPSA Production) dominance, but a 20 year headstart is tough to overcome.

What is going to happen when Glock finally comes out with the G36 Tactical? Will CDP become single action only? I really like the pre-production G36T I am testing.
If Glock stretches the G36 to eight rounds, it'd be the first Glock I'd consider buying. :)

do you have any information on which holsters were used?

thanks,

BM

No. We did not collect it.

Springfield Armory ESR 1
HUH???? What kind of revolver does SA have? News to me...although I've been clueless before... :P

Strange that the CZs were in SSP, rather than ESP. I know you can shoot them in both, I just think of them as cocked-and-locked guns. And no BHPs...

Glocks are inexpensive, decently accurate, reliable (in stock form, anyway), mags are cheap and accessories are plentiful. These factors apparently outweigh the lousy human engineering and butt-ugliness. :D I think the S&W M&P's success is going to make serious inroads on Glock's SSP (and USPSA Production) dominance, but a 20 year headstart is tough to overcome.

What is going to happen when Glock finally comes out with the G36 Tactical? Will CDP become single action only? I really like the pre-production G36T I am testing.
If Glock stretches the G36 to eight rounds, it'd be the first Glock I'd consider buying. :)

The shooter(s) probably changed division after sending in his application or the day of the match. We did not update the mfg info when a shooter chose to change divisions. Like I said, this is rough data.

Here's a breakdown from this past weekend's "Frozen Penguin" (guns are about halfway down the page.)

Last summer's PA state match breakdown (sunglasses suggested :D )

2005 Ohio state match

2005 PA state match

2005 Texas state match

2004 CA state match

2004 Wisconsin state match

I am curious as to the median price for guns used in the IDPA matches listed above. With the Huge numbers of Glocks ...... ??? It's gonna be hard to get a lot of different manufacturers interested when 80% of the people shoot a $450.00 gun....

To me it looks like the average IDPA shooter's equipment will be 25% of the average USPSA shooters gear...

To me it looks like the average IDPA shooter's equipment will be 25% of the average USPSA shooters gear...
Merlin - It depends. In SSP and Production, the costs would be about the same since the gear is about the same. Ditto with CDP and SSD/ L10 and SSR/ESR and Revolver. It's mainly with Limited and Open that costs get really crazy - shoot, I've bought new, high-quality pistols for less money than most Open shooters spend to get their mags "tuned". (And still, spontaneous disassembly is a common sight. :wacko: ) But it's a free country, and it's their money, and it makes them happy and provides employment for others, so it can't be all bad.

I had that happen a couple of times with a good old single stack. Ol' Chip's spot welds were not up to holding ten rounds of 9mm Miller Major. He replaced them, of course, but it did not get me back the time spent straightening things out during the match.

Of course, one of the major announced reasons for establishing IDPA was to get away from high-priced guns and an "equipment race".

Many people think IDPA stands for "I Don't Practice Anymore."

Some say it's really "I Don't Pay Anymore" :P

Of course, one of the major announced reasons for establishing IDPA was to get away from high-priced guns and an "equipment race".

Many people think IDPA stands for "I Don't Practice Anymore."

Some say it's really "I Don't Pay Anymore" :P

GOOD ONE :D

PAT

For the Smith and Wesson pistols listed....

Is there a way to break that down to see how many M&P pistols are being used?

Should be fun to watch this pistol compete with the Glock.

At the GA match there were two M&P's, two 1911's, one .40s&w (no model specified) and the rest were revolvers.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two types of reliablility that are important at IDPA matches:

1. The gun never malfunctions - no jams or misfires.

2. The gun never slide-locks with rounds still in a magazine, and always slide-locks on an empty magazine.

Glocks do this out-of-of the box and with most IDPA-legal modifications.