Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedell Shorty Owners

AzoneHits

I shoot 8.1 gr of power pistol with 125 zero hp and wsp primers in a 38sc case. I get flames that shoot out of my comp, but it doesn't bother me. Quite honestly, I don't even see it except in the evening hours but you do see it in videos that I've been in. Does the "fireball" bother you or make you blink?

I shoot 8.1 gr of power pistol with 125 zero hp and wsp primers in a 38sc case. I get flames that shoot out of my comp, but it doesn't bother me. Quite honestly, I don't even see it except in the evening hours but you do see it in videos that I've been in. Does the "fireball" bother you or make you blink?

I don't even see it or notice it during daytime. Just my buddies telling me i get a ball of fire. Honestly, it does not bother me and i'm loading 8.2 with mine

8.4 grain IMR 4756 under 125gr JHP

What's the power factor and does it have a softer recoil compared to the VV 350? Is the IMR 4756 a slower burning powder than the IMR 7625?

I don't even see it or notice it during daytime. Just my buddies telling me i get a ball of fire. Honestly, it does not bother me and i'm loading 8.2 with mine

8.4 grain IMR 4756 under 125gr JHP

What's the power factor and does it have a softer recoil compared to the VV 350? Is the IMR 4756 a slower burning powder than the IMR 7625?

I find that 4756 shoots soft and flat, shoots the same as 3n37 for me, but I am new to open, so take that with a grain of salt. I have not shot VV 350I haven't had a chance to chrono 8.4 in any weather that was above 10 degrees, I did chrono 8.2gr indoors and got a 160pf,

4756 is slower than 7625

I have Shorty's both with & without popple holes, very little crony difference. Not enough to change the load.

In 9x21,

I use 9.1 540 (HS-6), 125 zero, WSR 1.210 oval

Did the popple holes made any difference a far as recoil and flatness of the gun is when fired? I believe the newer design dan is building now are with no popple holes.

I have Shorty's both with & without popple holes, very little crony difference. Not enough to change the load.

In 9x21,

Did the popple holes made any difference a far as recoil and flatness of the gun is when fired? I believe the newer design dan is building now are with no popple holes.

No difference I can notice, except the C-more stays a lot cleaner without them!

In 9x21,

No difference I can notice, except the C-more stays a lot cleaner without them!

Great. Thinking about getting a backup shorty gun from dan again and just want to make sure that it still shoots flat before i order one. Just love the way my gun works right now.

I have a 38 super shorty built by Dan. I have tried IMR 7625, VV N350 and HS-6. I liked 7625 but it showed some pressure signs @ 171 PF, N350 worked great but costs alot, so I have settled into using HS-6. I use 125 grn Zero HPS and make 170 PF with 8.5 grns of powder. I will most likley give 7625 another try this summer because it shoots so soft and not that expensive.

Don - 4756 is definitely slower than 7625. Its also slower than HS-6. Definitely cheaper than N350. Might be worth a shot in your gun, if 7625 isn't going to work.

When you say 7625 shows pressure signs (which isn't necessarily a surprise), what exactly are you seeing? I use it to good effect in my Viper - but obviously, everyone's blaster is different from the next one...

7625 would fill the primer back in ( But it sure did shoot soft). I never tried small rifle primers because I have always used small pistol but this last primer order I got 5000 small rifle to give a try. I am thinking I will give 7625 another chance after the 16 pounds of HS-6 I bought runs out. A good friend of mine just gave me 8 pounds of N350 because he won't be shooting for a while so I have lots of powder to burn-up.

Try 7625 w/ the small rifle primer and see if that behavior changes - then you'll at least be on the same page with the rest of us in terms of primer cup hardness... :D

N350 is good stuff, if it runs good in your gun - though it sounds like the muzzle flash can be distracting. 4756 would still be an avenue to try, too... ;)

My Bedell shorty has the popple holes.

Both loads I use run a little hot. 178pf

8.3 grains of vv N350

9 grains of IMR 4756

both with Zero 125 grain jhp and WW small rifle primers.

The loads with 4756 have a LOT more muzzle flash and leave more dirt in the gun. I thought the 4756 load felt softer, but, according to the timer, I shoot the 350 loads faster.

Ive tried vv N105, but, I didn't think it was any better than the 350 and I think I had to go to over 10 grains of the 105 to make major.

8.3 grains of vv N350

9 grains of IMR 4756

Why do you have to have a 178 PF? Is it shooting better and flat with higher PF? I do have the same set up as yours using N350 with 170-172 PF at 8.2g.

8.3 grains of vv N350

9 grains of IMR 4756

Why do you have to have a 178 PF? Is it shooting better and flat with higher PF? I do have the same set up as yours using N350 with 170-172 PF at 8.2g.

I intentionally ran it high because most of the people I talked to, here in WI said that when you went to "Nationals" it usually chronoed 5-10pf less. I didn't want to get bumped down to minor, but, it seems that my chrono runs exactly the same as the one used on my gun at Nationals, and at Area 5. I now have a bunch loaded at 8 grains and they are running about 170pf. I'm not going to settle on that load until I chrono them several times, at different times of the day, and different temperatures, just to be 100% sure they will make major.

I have a Bedell shorty 9 major with KKM barrel. I use VV 3n37 with 7.8 grns. OAL is 1.165 using Zero JHP 125. Using Dillon 650 with two spring coils removed from the detent check ball(helps keep the powder in the cases). Primers Winchester. The crono results with 25 rd strings using a alpha and a CED are;

Nickel case low 1337, high 1362, average 1350, ES 25.45, Sd 6.32. Use the nickel stuff at local matches only.

Brass case Low 1344, high 1367, average 1352, ES 22.77, Sd 6.40

Passed Area 1 Crono OK.

The brass cases give more fps.

This is the load Dan gave me when I recieved the pistol and it works awsume with no problems. I have about 6,000 rds fired and like it so much I ordered a second 9 major in full size from Dan.

I like the VV 3n37 because it is consitent, clean, and the primers and cases look good.